JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   multiple issues,DOORs (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/multiple-issues-doors-1552042/)

maddog8806 07-22-2013 01:19 AM

multiple issues,DOORs

ill get right to it,,

Jeep rear ended another vehicle, not bad -but it happened. now the front bumper is broken & held on by some seriously tough zip ties. driver side headlight assembly broken, got another off ebay but doesn't seem to fit, idk if im just too remedial to fit it in there OR if its just not meant/supposed to be.

http://postimg.org/gallery/civwphys/

Issue #1. the driver side steel fender is dented just enough to catch your eye (or potential buyer) but i searched a few things online & i think im pretty positive that i can take that off. should be around 10 or so torx or hex screws? i found some factory replacements for 100bucks so finding a used one at a local "junk" yard shouldn't be a problem,, I THINK :drool:

Issue #2. hopefully if i can repair/replace the first issue, fitting in another headlight assembly should work for me as well..

Issue #3. i took her in for some brake work & when it was all done the guy said somethings up with my ABS light/sensor thing cause it wont go off but i can stop fine. :confused:

Issue #4. another electric problem- hazards or turn signals won't flash. i mean i KNOW its cause of the whole wires exposed thing from the broken headlight, but even after i fix the previous issues how would i go about this? i checked the fuses(or at least i thought i did so)

Last ISSUE #5* this is the most annoying thing i've ever had to deal with. im on my 2nd ZJ & i got the same driver door issue i had before along with plenty other ppl i've seen with mismatched driver door so i know it'd prolly be easier to jus get a replacement right? okay but all other 3 doors are giving me problems also. the passenger front wont take my key so i have to use the fob to unlock the door/since i try not to use driver side. the passenger rear door doesn't open from the inside & the driver side rear doesn't open from in or outside! i cant even get it open to try and replace the whole door. sucks cause i cant even take my new family in my ZJ cause of too many fire hazards :nono:

i know its a lot here but i like to try and fix what i can myself, i can obviously take it somewhere and get everything fixed but im not made of ca$h so any help or suggestions would help me out a bunch. i want to sell this one to get an older Jeep but i wouldn't feel right selling with these types of ISSUES

Thanks in advance everyone

Kingr98 07-22-2013 05:32 AM

From looking at your pictures, it looks like you broke your grill opening reinforcement that your headlights are supposed to attach to. If you want to see what one looks like, you can go to rockauto.com and look under body-exterior for your year model.

If you are lucky, you can find one at a jy and possibly a front fender in the right color.

For the flashers and hazards, check your relay. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think the turn signal relays are behind the kick panel on the passengers side, above the fuse box.

Your passenger door won't take a key. Did it ever? Has the key cylinder been changed? Sometimes mine gets hard to slide the key in and out, so I spray some WD40 into the key slot and work my key in and out.

For your rear passenger door, are the child safety locks dis-engaged? What does the door feel/sound like its doing when you pull the handle? Is the haddle just loose or does it feel like it is trying to engage? Behind the door panel, there is a mechanical linkage between the handle and the latch that might have come loose.

maddog8806 07-22-2013 10:56 AM

The shop that I've been going to has a few ZJs lying around, so I shouldn't have any trouble there. Just need to know what to get,, so that grill part is NOT apart of the fender I'm guessing??that front bumper will hopefully be a simple out with the old in with the new. I don't think the frame or anything was damaged just that bumper..
& I feel stupid now LOL our daughter is only 1 so she gets strapped in the middle, her mom must've put that child lock on cause I never even looked for one.. But that door is fine thank you for that. Also, I put a battery in & I've got 2 lights in front and back so I'll take that relay to the store for replacement. But I don't get any light when pressure on the brake so along with that relay I'm thinking because of the exposed wires is why that blew out? Passenger side key goes in , but won't turn. I fiddle with it a little bit but I don't wanna break the key inside, I'll prolly figure that out.. But the driver/rear is still haunting me. The lock inside barely slides and when I go to open door from outside, the button almost goes all the way in before I can feel any kind of "resistance" idk if that means anything but it just doesn't feel right. A possibility is that before we got the Jeep back they might have put the child lock on WITH the outside handle already broken cause trying to open from inside feels like the previous issue I had on the passenger side.. I've tried open the inside & pushing the outside handle at same time with no change. Guess that would've been too easy :/ ..so I'm still dealing with my driver side doors not working but at least the front can OPEN..

maddog8806 07-22-2013 11:02 AM

Meant to ask help on this last problem.. Problem with my echeck but the wording is throwing me off I think it's the TPS..I'm adding the pic to the link in the original post. Thanks again for the assistance

gomes512 07-22-2013 02:24 PM

One of the rear doors on my '94 wouldn't open from the inside or outside nor would the lock work. The entire door panel can be taken off with the door closed. First remove the rear seat benches, mine came out with a firm upward pull. I then removed the screws on the door (under and inside hand hold and by lever) and then gently pried with a flathead. Trick is to pop the tabs without breaking them. After peeling back the splash shielding I was able to wiggle the doorlock rod that runs parallel with the ground. Oiled all the pivot points real well and the door has worked without trouble since.

maddog8806 07-22-2013 02:34 PM

Nice!! THANKS.. scratch that issue..

Kingr98 07-22-2013 03:09 PM

What is the problem with your driver's door?

I think you are saying that when you step on the brake, the brake lights don't come on. If this is the problem, it could either be the bulbs or the brake light switch. The switch is a cheap and fast fix. No tools required. It is attached to the brake pedal itself and you rotate it to pop it loose.

Unless your door is damaged/rusted out or the hinges are broken, I would not suggest changing the entire door. Then you have to worry about mismatching paint. You can remove the lock and actuator from a car at the jy fairly easily with a Torx screwdriver. I think it is a T25 or T30. Remove the door panel and pop the rod connectors loose by twisting them counterclockwise. When you have the lock/actuator out of the car, clean and lube it really good and make sure all of the parts move freely before you put it in your door.

On your driver's rear door, I am guessing that either the lock is totally siezed up or one of the rods has come out of its hole. The inside is probably tied up with the child safety lock. Do what gomes512 said above to get access to the inside of the door. There is a short rod from the outside handle to the side of the lock inside the door. It will be tough to get to with the door closed. You might be able to get a long screwdriver in there to push it up and open the door. If the safety lock is not on, you should be able to open the door by moving the rods to the inside handle.

ZJ_This 07-22-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog8806 (Post 15705162)
Meant to ask help on this last problem.. Problem with my echeck but the wording is throwing me off I think it's the TPS..I'm adding the pic to the link in the original post. Thanks again for the assistance

Its a code for the rear o2 sensor not reading that the cat is working properly. either the cat is bad or the rear o2 sensor is bad, or you have an exhaust leak in that area.

maddog8806 07-24-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJ_This (Post 15706230)
Its a code for the rear o2 sensor not reading that the cat is working properly. either the cat is bad or the rear o2 sensor is bad, or you have an exhaust leak in that area.

Ooh okay, I think ur on to something.. Cause my jeep dies on me a lot. I'll b driving & it just fades away, like an electronic device with bad batteries. Or I'll start it & before I can seat belt up it will cut off. This happens a few time for about 10mins then after I let it sit(&idle) we're all good..for another 20starts, then back to square one.. That's why I thought it was a sensor but maybe it's the cat(which I haven't replaced yet) .. guess I'll have to add that to the list of parts I need. I uploaded the " shake down" lol

To Kingr98, idk how big of a pain it is to replace the parts inside the DOOR vs just replacing it..its pretty jacked up. I uploaded that pic as well.
Vital information--Thanks guys. :cheers2:

ozzy_2_me 07-25-2013 12:28 AM

so, It looks like you need some parts to fix this ZJ. I spoke with one of the salvage yards that I go to and they have the stuff you are looking for. the grill, drivers front fender, headlight and the support for the headlight would be around 100 dollars and it looks like you need a drivers front door. I think they sell those for 50 dollars. I am around zip code 48892. i think you are about 3.5 to 4 hour dive from me.

maddog8806 07-25-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy_2_me (Post 15716330)
so, It looks like you need some parts to fix this ZJ. I spoke with one of the salvage yards that I go to and they have the stuff you are looking for. the grill, drivers front fender, headlight and the support for the headlight would be around 100 dollars and it looks like you need a drivers front door. I think they sell those for 50 dollars. I am around zip code 48892. i think you are about 3.5 to 4 hour dive from me.

Nice, thanks. The place I usually go to is only about 45 mins from me right now but I'll def keep in mind

The time now is 10:55 AM.