muffler recommendations 98 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > muffler recommendations 98 4.0

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
micellis
1998 ZJ 

muffler recommendations 98 4.0

Was putting a new cat on and discovered the previous owner used a universal cat and cheap muffler whenever it was last done. Turns out the OEM 3 stage cat I bought is about 3 1/2 inches longer than the universal cat and I feel uneasy about sawing any tubing off the cat because I don't want to ruin it.

My plan is to cut the old muffler off and remove the amount of pipe I need from the downstream end towards the exhaust tip. I'm thinking of either either straight piping it or getting a replacement but can't decide. Any good sounding mufflers that won't break the bank for the 4.0? I was looking at a cheaper glasspack.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using JeepForum

micellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

I have the Flowmaster 70 with a Magnaflow High Flow Cat and 2.5" tubing IIRC. Kolak's doing.

It sounds nice and low, and no highway droning.
NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

I'm running a stock cat with a Thrush Welded, i love the sound of mine.
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Gonna pull a sudo hijack here as I have a similar issue but not quite.......

The previous owner drilled a hole in the factory muffler of the wife's DD and a new one is about 2nd on the list. She doesn't want loud, I don't want factory, any good compromises? Decent sound without being a flag as she pulls into work?
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.