Muffler Question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Muffler Question?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 12-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
chadgtr
1993 ZJ 

Muffler Question?

I have a 93 4.0L ZJ and when I replaced the cat a freind of mine said that it wouldn't hurt to replace the muffler because it looks like the factory original, it does have a factory stamp on it. I have about 165,000 on it and figured it had to have been replaced at least once but it does feel real heavy. My real questions are:

1) Does the muffler have anything to do with the actual emissions or is it used to primarily to quit down the engine noise?

2) How often does a muffler need to be replaced?

3) My engine is completly stock so does adding any kind of "performance" muffler do anything for actuall performance?

Thanks for any help and advice.

chadgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
98ZJ SFD
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgtr

3) My engine is completly stock so does adding any kind of "performance" muffler do anything for actuall performance?

Thanks for any help and advice.
Not really, not unless you do an intake. You want to help the engine breathe and exhaust more efficiently for any performance gains.

Previous
98 ZJ Laredo SE 4.0, 2" Skyjacker BB, JKS Quicker Discos, Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, K&N FIPK, Kolak cat & back exhaust, Westin Safari bar, KC lights
98ZJ SFD is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.