Muffler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Muffler

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
DTrem08
1996 ZJ 

Muffler

I plan on having my brother get me a muffler for christmas...a Flowmaster Super 44. Im only replacing the muffler, and my question is what diameter piping do I need and do I need center in/our or something offset. Anyone know?

**KOR Radiator Support, IRO 3.5" lift, 31/10.5/15" Maxxis Bighorns on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's, JKS Bar Pin Eliminators, KOR Light Bar, 4 Black KC HiLites, Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown/no tailpipe, OME Steering Stabilizer, Black KOR square rock sliders
**If youve seen it around CT or know about it, PM me
DTrem08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

I would say check the FAQ's potion of this forum and see what size piping you have on your 4.0 already...then go from there.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

2.25" is the pipe size, get underneath your Jeep and look what you have for offsets right now
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
DTrem08
1996 ZJ 

Well Im in school now, Ill check it when I get home

If I just get a turndown after the muffler, would that make it louder while still being legal?
**KOR Radiator Support, IRO 3.5" lift, 31/10.5/15" Maxxis Bighorns on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's, JKS Bar Pin Eliminators, KOR Light Bar, 4 Black KC HiLites, Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown/no tailpipe, OME Steering Stabilizer, Black KOR square rock sliders
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

it will make more interior noise and also could allow the exhaust to seep into the vehicle itself. So I hear.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
DTrem08
1996 ZJ 

Well it looks like a center in/offset out...2.25" piping?
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #7
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

yes, your 4.0 came w/ 2.25" piping. remember 2.5" is the optimal exhaust size for you. so if your putting in a turndown you can just go w/ 2.5" with a 2.25-2.5" adapter, and you can just get center inlet/outlet because it doesnt matter w/ a turndown.

when i first start up my car and more so when its cold, i seem to smell a little gas, idk if thats b/c of the turndowmn
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2007, 01:18 AM   #8
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Yea, you'll get more interior noise with the turndown. Especially around 1500-2000 rpm. My 50 series sounds decent with the turndown and I haven't had a problem with gases getting inside the car. A turndown is nice cause is cheap to put on and you don't have to worry about keeping a nice tip clean and polished.

Just FYI, heres a video with my 50 series on my 4.0. I think it sounds better now than in the video cause its had time to "break in".

Jeep 4.0 with 50 Series Flowmaster

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.