MSD 6A-2 installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > MSD 6A-2 installation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

MSD 6A-2 installation

Well , as some might know , this is my second box . Something happened to the other and this is a replacement . Thought I'd pic it and show how easy the install is as done on my 98 5.9l .

First thing , disconnect the battery . This should be done any time your working on electrical componants , especially ignition and PCM parts .

Remove the wiper arms and wiper cowl . This is where your gonna hide your little jewel .
dsc04556.jpg

Mark your holes accordingly , drill the holes the right size(I'd have to check) and screw in the rubber mounts for the box :Note: I only used 3 and it's sturdy enough . The 4th was riding the edge so I left it out . MAKE SURE YOU ARE GOING TO CLEAR THE HINGE .DC was nice enough to supply that hole , all it took was prying a cover out of the way . No drilling this way . Little water enters this area . There is a remaining ridge around the hole . I think enough to deflect anything aound it to the drain . It could be capped , siliconed , or what ever to seal it if desired . I'm doing mine with metal duct tape , after I run it a few weeks , maybe .

Now that your mounts are ready , prep the wiring on the box . Some wires aren't used for the basic install so they were capped , coiled and taped together to tuck away under the cowl .

The wires you want are : white and red for the stock connector +/-connection , 2 already sheilded wires , orange/black for the coil connection , the red direct battery connection , and the ground . That's it

Take some wire loom and run all these wires in , measure the MSD wires 4" from the longest ones . I left the ground wire out about 4-5" , and the battery+ wire out about 12" . Wrap some tape on the box-side where the wire exits the loom , this prevents it from coming out further .

dsc04557.jpg

Set your Rev limiter right now , accessing it when installed might be difficult. Pop off these 3 rubber caps and confirm the cyl setting to your engine , and I set mine for 5200 . Pics a little off , but a tiny flat top screwdriver is needed to adjust the dials . Then reinstall the rubber caps
dsc04560.jpg

Now your ready to drop it in . Feeding the wires through the hole , route them along side of the fender . The first hexed fender bolt is where you want to ground the unit w/o adding more wire . Clean it , ground it , tighten it

dsc04562.jpg

run the rest by the fender tucking it under what ever is there . It should be then brought back out behind where the battery sits . I used a Accel adapter which I cut in 1/2 , to join into the factry wires , and the MSD 8228 coil . Don't join them on the bench , it will make feeding the wires alot harder . The battery is out , utilize this space . Once joined plug both in , and here is where you sit
#1 Both coil and stock wiring hook-ups , note the coil wires come out in the same location as the battery connection
#2 The factory wire connection , that what use to hook into the coil
#3 Coil connection
#4 Battery connection

Don't forget , you now need to re-gap your plugs . The cowl can now be re-installed , don't forget to hook up the damn w/washer hose ..................don't ask

dsc04561.jpg

Install your battery and hook in the pos+ from the box , your all set to enjoy pulling power though the RPM that wasn't there before . Fuel gains will vary on use , but , I'd say expect 1-4 mpg's better . Throttle response is immediate and it just roars through the RPM's . It's an excellant compliment to an upgraded ignition , PCM/tuner , PFIK , and an exhaust

I always wanted one , but , never saw it hooked up . Since Jake's thread , I learned just how easy this was to do . Absolutely no regrets , and Jake , thanks for posting this topic up originally

As I said in Jake's thread , this makes a difference . You be the judge , here's a before and after sound clip , accually , it's after and before , I uploaded them wrong , just follow the label . It was easy to hear when I could flip it fast on the camera , hopefully , this has the same effects MSD Ignition upgrade pictures by onegoodmason - Photobucket

newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

So far ,everything has been fantastic . I am super happy with this mod .

One minor issue . It recorded a p0351 code , found after another member said his had one , so I scanned and had it to . Simple issue , the PCM isn't getting any feedback signal . This was fixed with a MSD 8910 Tach Adapter , just a 2 wire plug in which taps the +/- factory coil wires . No code since . There was no issue from this , no performance loss , nothing . Probably something a guy could live with if he wanted to , but , I like no codes so I spent the extra $40

Since this mod , the new headers and exhaust has been installed and got 23 MPG out of my last tank via the speedo and fuel reciept . Never thought it was possible for a 5.9 , but , can't argue the math . I only hope it stays that way .

MSD 6A-2 part # 6421
dsc04604.jpg   dsc04605.jpg  
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
melk
1996 ZJ 

What is stock plug gap for the V8s? Did you re-gap larger?

The MSD box is high on my list... I have an MSD Coil + Wires already.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Stock is 35 thou . I still run a 40 thou gap as per the MSD coil upgrade . You are able to gap up to 60 thou with the box , recomended is 50-55 . I'm afraid to mess with anything getting the fuel economy I got last tank
Unread 12-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very clean install Newfie. I am thinking of getting the MSD set up as a birthday gift (wishful thinking). How much was it in total for the whole set up, coil, wires, MSD box and extra code-remover thingy if you don't mind me asking?
Also, isn't the stock gap supposed to be 40? Maybe that is the 5.2, but according to the Haynes (I need to swap my plugs tonight) it is supposed to be 40 on the V8 stock?

Anywho, nice set up, and very clean engine bay. Mine needs a good clean, damn desert dust craps everything up!
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thanks Tony .

Remember , these are Canadian prices , rounded off and not incl tax

Msd 6A-2 # 6421 -$270
MSD wires -$70
MSD coil # 8228 $40
MSD Tach Adapter #8910 -$40

Stock gap is 35 thou , with the hi-po coil , you can gap it to 40 thou , but your right , this applies to the 95 , but the 98 does use a stock 40 thou gap , I looked it up via the FSM .

Thanks Tony , geez , I'm running alot of spark on the stock setting , lol .
Unread 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK, so I will get the rest of the stuff and have to save for the 6A box. Still not bad prices though, I was expecting a lot worse. I needed a new coil as my battery broke loose and ripped the top off of mine in the desert at the weekend and they wanted the same for an AC Delco as you paid for the MSD!!! Crazy out here mate, prices are through the roof for JEEP stuff!
Well I swapped out my plugs and coil in the hope that it would fix this problem I posted http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/e...light-1139601/ But had no luck. Still idles like an unserviced dumper truck when in drive, btu it is slightly better. I think when it backfired I may have damaged the Cat's internals. It is throwing a code so I will go check it out tonight and see what it says is wrong.

Thanks bud
Unread 12-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Since this mod , the new headers and exhaust has been installed and got 23 MPG out of my last tank via the speedo and fuel reciept . Never thought it was possible for a 5.9 , but , can't argue the math . I only hope it stays that way .
Now that's an impressive result. Let us know if the mileage keeps up, the MSD could pay for itself in short order.

That's also one hella-clean engine bay.
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Nice write up.

i like how you forgot the washer hose too, after i warned you

where does that tach adapter plug in? is it just spliced at the coil connection?
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

It just taps into the +/- factory wires . When using the connecters like I did , this time soldered and wraped good , it was just unwrap and switch a few connections , quite simple .

I know , I'm still shakin my head on that , really , the cowl cover doesn't have to come off , just laid upon the w/shield out of the way . I even remember thinking at the time "why are you doing this , you know your gonna forget it" and sure enough . Next day the glass needed some wash and nuthin'

I do everything twice
Unread 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

UPDTAE:

The MSD continue to give great mileage , but , then , the delcine began .So , I took the jeep today and made my wifey drive her Aveo . I go to the city , while there , I smelled a burning plastic sort a smell during my last stop . Being in the city , I kinda passed it off as if it was coming from somewhere else . I started the drive home . Being on the east side of the city meant I had to drive through it as I live west of the city . I was coming accross the busiest bridge in the city when it died out on me . I guess I wasn't totally out of luck as I coasted to other side and there was just enough snow pushed back in "one" spot to pull over , it was like they did it for me , lol , and MSD . The jeep had just enough speed to get me in , don't think I even had to touch the brake to stop .
Upon trying to restart , it produced the same sympoms as it did before , start , then stall . SOB , I knew the box had again failed on me . So now I'm stuck on the road with not a tool in my possesion and my wife not finished work . So , at -2F I start pulling wires as best I could , 5 mins later , the stock connections are reconnected and it fires up . Good thing too , my fingers needed to be warmed up .

I was so impressed by the performance of this box , but , 2 bad ones . The box is being sent back to MSD . Apparently , this failure is not so uncommon (google)

MPG's seems ok coming home . 17-19 hwy w/o the box (overhead) It may or may not be re-installed . My wife drives this Jeep and I don't like playing rescue my jeep on the side of the road when it's freezing cold out . In the past 10 years , this box has caused 2 outta 3 of my break-downs . The only other thing was my diff in my 70 Chevelle but that I couldn't fix on the side of the road , lol , and if you'd have seen me 10 mins before that , you'd know why that diff went . Thankfully , my wife wasn't driving it . She's had hard luck with vehicles in 2010 .
July-Aveo dies on the freeway during rush hour , engine blown @ 40K .
Dec-5.9 dies on hwy -MSD failure
Dec-She was snow blind by passing trucks and drove in the ditch (Aveo)
4 days ago- she runs outta gas going to work @4am
Now , I drive the 5.9 for one day and this happens cause she must have jinxed it , lol .

My only conclusion is the + and - have to be mixed up , there's nothing else to screw up connecting it . Makes no sense to me , I double/tripple checked everything being the 2nd time around

I might just use it on the Orvis instead until I know it lasts more than a few weeks

MSD performance 10 outta 10
MSD reliability 0.5 outta 10
Unread 12-31-2010, 01:07 AM   #12
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
UPDTAE:

The MSD continue to give great mileage , but , then , the delcine began .So , I took the jeep today and made my wifey drive her Aveo . I go to the city , while there , I smelled a burning plastic sort a smell during my last stop . Being in the city , I kinda passed it off as if it was coming from somewhere else . I started the drive home . Being on the east side of the city meant I had to drive through it as I live west of the city . I was coming accross the busiest bridge in the city when it died out on me . I guess I wasn't totally out of luck as I coasted to other side and there was just enough snow pushed back in "one" spot to pull over , it was like they did it for me , lol , and MSD . The jeep had just enough speed to get me in , don't think I even had to touch the brake to stop .
Upon trying to restart , it produced the same sympoms as it did before , start , then stall . SOB , I knew the box had again failed on me . So now I'm stuck on the road with not a tool in my possesion and my wife not finished work . So , at -2F I start pulling wires as best I could , 5 mins later , the stock connections are reconnected and it fires up . Good thing too , my fingers needed to be warmed up .

I was so impressed by the performance of this box , but , 2 bad ones . The box is being sent back to MSD . Apparently , this failure is not so uncommon (google)

MPG's seems ok coming home . 17-19 hwy w/o the box (overhead) It may or may not be re-installed . My wife drives this Jeep and I don't like playing rescue my jeep on the side of the road when it's freezing cold out . In the past 10 years , this box has caused 2 outta 3 of my break-downs . The only other thing was my diff in my 70 Chevelle but that I couldn't fix on the side of the road , lol , and if you'd have seen me 10 mins before that , you'd know why that diff went . Thankfully , my wife wasn't driving it . She's had hard luck with vehicles in 2010 .
July-Aveo dies on the freeway during rush hour , engine blown @ 40K .
Dec-5.9 dies on hwy -MSD failure
Dec-She was snow blind by passing trucks and drove in the ditch (Aveo)
4 days ago- she runs outta gas going to work @4am
Now , I drive the 5.9 for one day and this happens cause she must have jinxed it , lol .

My only conclusion is the + and - have to be mixed up , there's nothing else to screw up connecting it . Makes no sense to me , I double/tripple checked everything being the 2nd time around

I might just use it on the Orvis instead until I know it lasts more than a few weeks

MSD performance 10 outta 10
MSD reliability 0.5 outta 10
That really blows.

I am still wondering about that ground, i haven't had good luck with using that panel bolt for grounds, thats how i fried a few e-fans.

Which color of coil wire do you have going to which color factory harness?
Coil?

I even bought an 8910 today.
Unread 12-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #13
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
That really blows.

I am still wondering about that ground, i haven't had good luck with using that panel bolt for grounds, thats how i fried a few e-fans.

Which color of coil wire do you have going to which color factory harness?
Coil?

I even bought an 8910 today.
Can't see the ground being the issue . The battery is attached to the panel not 16" away and I cleaned the area free of paint to get good contact .

I have the test to make sure the box is fried , but , I will check the wire color connections when I pull it . I referenced the FSM to ensure I had the right connections made to the +/- . Is it even possible to hook these wrong and still have it work ?

Not great timing . I have the Orvis in the garage immobilized . Also , another issue with the wifes Aveo , effin junk . At least the 5.9 is good to go when I properly re-join the coil connection .
Unread 12-31-2010, 02:04 AM   #14
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Can't see the ground being the issue . The battery is attached to the panel not 16" away and I cleaned the area free of paint to get good contact .

I have the test to make sure the box is fried , but , I will check the wire color connections when I pull it . I referenced the FSM to ensure I had the right connections made to the +/- . Is it even possible to hook these wrong and still have it work ?

Not great timing . I have the Orvis in the garage immobilized . Also , another issue with the wifes Aveo , effin junk . At least the 5.9 is good to go when I properly re-join the coil connection .

hmm, i have no ideas, other than the box kills it self so it doesn't have to be in edmonton.

you would think this would happen to me if anyone, i have the worst luck ever.

maybe mine will die in the middle of a washington forest with no cell service.

you should almost hook up a 5 pin relay so at a flip of a swith you can bypass the box at least when it works its damn glorious
Unread 12-31-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

and **** i just realized that i bought spark plugs for a 93 so the gap is way to small especially with the msd box

dunno how i messed that up so well

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.