MPG on cruise control? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > MPG on cruise control?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

MPG on cruise control?

Does anyone else get significantly better mileage using cruise control? Normally, if I take it as easily as possible, I'll get around 340 miles on a full tank.
Now I know the DTE computer isn't going to be totally accurate, but I filled the tank yesterday and then did 150 miles, at about 60mph, all on cruise. And my DTE readout is still 276 miles! The fuel gauge seems to back that up, as well.
Anyone else notice big differences between grannying it without cruise, and doing the same mileage at the same speed with cruise turned on? It's a fairly big deal - at the minute (I'm in the UK) it costs me $200 to fill up from empty!

Oh - 1998 4.0 engined Orvis with the tow package, presume the gearing affects things.

Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
AcidAnton
Czech OffRoader

2005 WK 

Of course cruise control is the best way to keep and maintain a consistent momentum and you are not always hitting the gas peddle when you loose speed and try to maintain the speed limit..

I always use cruise, I found I save way more gas

Upcoming Projects: Digital Camo Paint Job mod , 4" Superlift, 33" Tires, ARB Bumber, Tire Mount on Hitch

Silver WK Club Member #88
HEMI Club Member #80

R.I.P
1998 ZJ 5.9L Limited - Platinum
1997 ZJ 5.2L V8 - Mud Flooded the Engine - Donor Jeep now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
I named mine Jezebel because she used to be the most powerful thing in the world, but now shes just an old, dirty ***** whose been around the block a few times.
AcidAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
gactech
1998 ZJ 

Yup. The cc makes itty bitty adjustments to the throttle to maintain speed. Your for doesn't
gactech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
burtha95xj
2002 WJ 

In my xj i get worst highway mpg, period
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Some other OBDII vehicles of this era actually use more efficient fuel and spark curves when the cruise is engaged. Not sure aboutr ZJ.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gactech View Post
Yup. The cc makes itty bitty adjustments to the throttle to maintain speed. Your for doesn't
My foot tries to!
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Yup, same thing with every other car I've owned that had CC. Although with my ZJ when I'm hitting larger hills I use the gas pedal, so I can gain some speed before I hit the hill. Otherwise the CC always kicks the tranny down a gear or two, since the 4.0 doesn't have the guts to make the grade in OD. If I get a "running start" at the hill I can make it up in OD if it's not too long.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
cdaniels85
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ
Yup, same thing with every other car I've owned that had CC. Although with my ZJ when I'm hitting larger hills I use the gas pedal, so I can gain some speed before I hit the hill. Otherwise the CC always kicks the tranny down a gear or two, since the 4.0 doesn't have the guts to make the grade in OD. If I get a "running start" at the hill I can make it up in OD if it's not too long.
x2 on that. I've gotten it down to a science.
cdaniels85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
mickeyd411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike97ZJ View Post
I am seriously considering an attempt to limit how much throttle the cruise can add. This thing opens up going up a hill and that can't be good for mpg!
mickeyd411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
isenior
1997 ZJ 

In the UK too. Converted to LPG. I work it out by pence per mile cost between fills to max. Yesterday running up the M1 filled up at London gateway services then again at junction 24 having gone the whole way on cruise at a steady 70. Cost me slightly less than 20p per mile which is awesome. Driving it the whole way without cruise I reckon the best I could get is probably about 23. So that would make a 15% improvement on a long steady run.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.