Moving Across the Country - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Moving Across the Country

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpservertech View Post
WOW. I bought a Porsche in NJ and had it shipped to KS on an open trailer and it only cost me $250.
30 years ago? Take a look and try to find that price now. How would anyone make any money?

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #17
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Whatever you do, get AAA plus.

You could also just look at having the cars shipped. You would be surprised how cheap it is these days.
Only problem with AAA is they won't cover any trailers, or anything in it, and will just leave it sitting beside the road. Know because I just checked and ended up buying my son a membership to Good Sam roadside assistance for trailers.

http://www.goodsamroadside.com/trave...er-towing.html

With the platinum plan $115/year they even cover pet transportation. I thought that was kinda important because I doubt if a tow truck driver would want a big 120lb Mastiff sitting in the middle of the tow truck front seat with his big teeth/jaws only about a foot from the tow truck drivers face! Lol.

It cost my daughter $500 to ship her 2000 Audi S4 from Ohio to S. Cal 10 years ago and wouldn't doubt the rates have doubled.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
hpservertech
1994 ZJ 

Just did it 2 months ago. AAA plus covers trailers, at least last time I looked.
hpservertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #19
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Just did it 2 months ago. AAA plus covers trailers, at least last time I looked.
Interesting. Maybe it's not available in Ohio, I got a bum phone rep but she sounded like she knew what she was talking about, or it's the fact my son owns the trailer instead of a rental?

Actually the AAA website pretty much sucks since I couldn't find anything in a search and still can't. It directs you to the region of the country you're in and when entering my zip code it takes me to aaa.ohiovalley which still doesn't tell you anything. Exact reason I called the phone rep.

http://ohio.aaa.com/?zip=43110&devic...clubmo.aaa.com

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
LouC
2007 WK 

There has to be something out there that covers trailers because I was able to add breakdown insurance for my boat trailer to the on the water tow ins I have with Boat US.
A UHaul would be covered on their policy; I'd ask them what they do if you get a flat tire or or have a hub/bearing issue.

The not shifting into 2nd promptly is probably leaky drum seals. It's a common problem and to cure that you really need a rebuild. I think towing a trailer under those circumstances is risky. I drove my brother to college 450 miles years ago with a slipping trans on my '70 Ford Torino and really took it easy till it shifted into high gear. Towing a trailer will only hasten its demise.
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #21
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

shipping my zj from Tucson to Boston, 1100 IIRC. But as said, all fluids changed, larger cooler isn't a bad idea at all. Brakes are a huge deal with them...i've been really happy since i upgraded my brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.