Moving Across the Country - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Moving Across the Country

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 09-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
RedTj01
2008 JK Wrangler 

Moving Across the Country

So, my wife and I decided to move from Arizona to Pennsylvania. We are planning on renting just a small uhaul trailer so we can take a few things and leave most of our furniture in a storage. My wife has a 2010 Nissan Cube. Looked up information on towing with her car, can't do it beacuse she has a CVT transmission. Then I figured I'd just use my car, 2013 Honda Civic Si. Can't tow with that because it'll void the warranty and I'd have to cut the rear bumper to install the hitch(NOT HAPPENING!)

So that only leaves us with one more vehicle. My 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee..... Has a 5.2 in it, with a 177,000 miles on it. Don't know if it's a good idea to use.... Second gear slips just a little, nothin serious, but other than that, it's runs like a champ! If we decide to use it, which is really our only option, I'm gonna have to go through everything. Change all fluids, new brakes, tune up, etc...

I want to see what everyone's thought is about it, and if anyone has used their Jeep or any older vehicle, what did you do to prepare for the trip?

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/red-tj-build-1127470/[/url]
RedTj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

change ALL the fluids. engine oil, trans oil, differentials, transfer case.
if youre going to be towing id definitely put new brakes on it. and preferably get a uhaul trailer with brakes on it. they're just surge brakes, but they're sure better than nothing.
the 5.2 will have no problem pulling, its the stopping you need to worry about.
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Agree the zjs are good at towing. I pull my 4k lb pontoon with mine all the time. And I have the 4.0. It's the stopping you have to worry about. Go over your front break system and make sure everything is solid an get the uhaul with trailer brakes. Zj front breaks are pretty weak so take it easy. An if you don't have one I would suggest a aux tranny cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum so it probably looks goofy.
RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would put a larger trans cooler on it and use the stock cooler for a power steering cooler. It has one on there but it's not too big.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
RagTagSoldier
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
I would put a larger trans cooler on it and use the stock cooler for a power steering cooler. It has one on there but it's not too big.
Did this to mine and was surprised that the steering is smoother so can't go wrong there.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum so it probably looks goofy.
RagTagSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That slippin tranny has me worried for ya. I've trashed no less than 10 tranny's over the decades and I can't recall a one of them that lasted another 1000 miles with one bad gear before everything else went too. Service the transmission and see if that helps. If that doesn't you might try some Lucas transmission fix. If that doesn't have your tranny running good thru all the gears ditch the idea of a cross country trip with it let alone one pulling a trailer.

After that, as everyone else stated look at your breaks.
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
sebian
1995 ZJ 

That 46RH trans is pretty stout, but like L_Killenny said, I would not trust it for driving, let alone towing. At the very least, try a trans pan fluid swap, and a new filter. A full flush would probably be the nail in the coffin at this point.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #8
RedTj01
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info guys! Went to the auto store today. Picked up all the fluids and filters. Went with Lucas transmission oil, hopefully it should help the tranny a little. I still have the stock tires from my last Lj, so I might buy some new tires for em and put em in the Zj for the trip. Ill throw the 33's in the uhaul trailer. Smaller tires should help too so that's a plus!
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #9
RedTj01
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oh, and picked up new rotors and pads too!
Unread 09-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
RedTj01
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just realized that I put that the transmission slips. It doesn't slip, I meant that 2nd doesn't switch the 3rd right away as it should.
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I'm going through the same thing here and trying to help my son get ready to move cross-country from Ohio to S. Cal. You're lucky you have the 5.2 and he's going to try and haul a loaded landscape trailer out there with his 96 4.0 XJ. We already need to lighten the load because it's waay too heavy.

Here's the thread and look at the bottom of the page links that mod Chris posted. Some real good info on making sure your tongue weight is about 10% of gross trailer weight. You can use a bathroom scale to measure tongue weight but you need to have your loaded trailer weighed first.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...l#post15875523

Hopefully changing out your ATF will help it shift smoother. My son's AW4 trans wasn't hitting OD and a fluid change cured this.

I also installed an external trans cooler and new fan clutch which helped a lot in keeping the trans/engine cooler.

In changing your rotors/pads believe I'd also change out all the calipers for rebuilt ones since they're cheap enough. And flushing out the brake system with new fluid sure wouldn't hurt.

Believe I'd also make sure your ebrake is working correctly, the cam/lever system isn't seized together, and it never hurts to put new shoes/spring kits on it. If you have rear drum brakes disregard the cam/lever system mentioned.

Good luck on your trip!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I'd be concerned with traversing tall ( steep) bridges while towing anything of any real weight. I avoid the the steepest coastal bridges in Louisiana and Texas while pulling my boat for that very reason. ( not that you'll even see the Gulf Coast on your trip !)

That tranny issue might bite you in the azz on a long trip. Carry cash. Lots of it....or get it fixed before you leave.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
hpservertech
1994 ZJ 

Whatever you do, get AAA plus.

You could also just look at having the cars shipped. You would be surprised how cheap it is these days.
hpservertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpservertech View Post
Whatever you do, get AAA plus.

You could also just look at having the cars shipped. You would be surprised how cheap it is these days.
My Jeep shipped from Vegas to Md.on a semi car hauler was around 1100 or 1200.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
hpservertech
1994 ZJ 

WOW. I bought a Porsche in NJ and had it shipped to KS on an open trailer and it only cost me $250.
hpservertech is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.