motor status - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Just an update. Things have moved along slowly but to be honest I don't mind. Have gotten to know the machinist pretty good and develop trust in him. Parts have been a little issue but not too bad. He also freed up the dreaded block drain plug which I had been avoiding. Cost of all this has been about what I expected but that is not to say it has been inexpensive. Looks like I may be closing in the carport with plastic sheeting if it breaks off cold, damn, I hope not. Not to lessen the impact of you northern jeepers but this florida dude doesn't like chilly.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 AM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

I'm with you, coralman, working on cars when your hands and body are freezing adds an unwanted dimension to auto-mechanics. Of course, I don't like extreme heat either. Damn, I guess I am, as a girlfriend says, a "special snowflake".

I have to admit that I have never drained the block on my 4.0L. I have always planned on it, but give up after not finding the dang plug. I also remember the disaster when I did find it on my first car, a 1960 Volvo PV544. It was very rusty and crusty, and was hard to get to re-thread and reseal. While I'm probably a slightly better mechanic than when I was 18, I still carry the mental scars of mistakes made. Maybe I'll do it when I need to do an entire cooling-system replacement or engine rebuild. Any year now. Good luck.

1998 Laredo 4.0L 4x4, 242 TC. 197.5K miles in 10/17. Original owner.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Not to lessen the impact of you northern jeepers but this florida dude doesn't like chilly.
I was lucky last year when I installed my engine outside of my garage (no room for the Jeep in the garage).
It was under a week before x-mas when there's usually at least 10" of snow and below-freezing temps. Last winter here in southern Finland was extremely warm until mid January, and it was a nice and warm 35-40F

I did have to pull the aux. bracket and timing cover later on because of a small mishap in my partial engine rebuild. At that time it was snowing and temps. between 15-25F. Did it outside

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

post #4 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

As long as HF doesn't run out of propane heaters, I'II be ok. Got a single head already, need be I'll get a double head. Of course my sheeting construct will have to allow for breathing air,lol.

lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #5 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 01:37 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The horizontal "torpedo" kerosene heaters work fine. They are fast loud and hot, also needing breathing air. You must be in northern FL, 'cause it's still 85 every day in the south.

post #6 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

What, you never heard of florabama, lol? Yeah wingless, south florida consider us ths bastard stepchildren, but they keep wanting to get their hands on our water. Its not bad yet at all but after the fair comes it historically gets nippy.

post #7 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 PM
MaintMech
Old and in the way

1996 ZJ 

What!? You've never picked up a wrench just by touching it?

Or course putting it down means you've got to loose a little skin....

Come North C-Man, I'll show you what ice fishing is like.

Or at least drinking beer at -20 Deg. F.

'96 Grand Laredo, 4.0, Stock, Daily Driver

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!

Originally Posted by coralman
If the faith isn't there,the doubt is.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 10:00 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
What, you never heard of florabama,
The panhandle is actually a faux territory of AL. We just let FL handle all the business because we can't elect competent officials.

post #9 of 15 Old 10-21-2016, 10:46 PM
GOLDWING
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
As long as HF doesn't run out of propane heaters, I'II be ok. Got a single head already, need be I'll get a double head. Of course my sheeting construct will have to allow for breathing air,lol.
This is how I keep two stalls warm in Wisconsin.

Low emissions, High output, mine has been keeping me toasty for nearly a decade.

GW

2 '98 4.0 ZJs
Hers is stock, mine, OME shocks, BB, Aussie, 2x6 sliders, 31s, etc.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Lol, Zee we have our share of "officials"! Mech, thanks but no thanks But I do go fishing in the cold if there are enough fish to warrant it. GW, yep the heaters will get the job done.

post #11 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 01:34 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I'd forget that double-headed propane dish unit coralman and I have one which hardly use at all. Of course a wee bit colder up here than down there.

I really like the below Mr. Heater forced-air propane salamander type I bought and the fan isn't too loud. It will heat up a temporary enclosure pretty darn quick. But like you said you will need a few gaps to let the fumes out and wouldn't doubt the heater Goldwing posted is better at burning up the fumes.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-For...propane+heater

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #12 of 15 Old 10-22-2016, 05:58 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The torpedo style kerosene heaters are very effective. Get a portable in-line AC thermostat to interrupt / restore the power to maintain the desired temperature.

post #13 of 15 Old 10-23-2016, 08:23 PM
ajwalk2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I'd forget that double-headed propane dish unit coralman and I have one which hardly use at all. Of course a wee bit colder up here than down there.

I really like the below Mr. Heater forced-air propane salamander type I bought and the fan isn't too loud. It will heat up a temporary enclosure pretty darn quick. But like you said you will need a few gaps to let the fumes out and wouldn't doubt the heater Goldwing posted is better at burning up the fumes.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-For...propane+heater

I've got that same heater and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 15 Old 10-26-2016, 11:55 AM
GOLDWING
1998 ZJ 

It is a very good idea to hang up a carbon monoxide detector with a digital readout any time you are using a combustion heater. The CO can build up in your system over time and make you very sick, or worse. SAFETY FIRST!

GW

2 '98 4.0 ZJs
Hers is stock, mine, OME shocks, BB, Aussie, 2x6 sliders, 31s, etc.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-26-2016, 10:57 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Real good tip GW on using a carbon monoxide detector!

I would have to hated to see what the CO level was under my WJ when doing a rust restoration project and temps dropping to near freezing at night. I had cardboard blocking 3 sides while running a propane heater under the rear in the below photo.

Actually I ran the heater mainly before/after painting and not while I was under there. Not ideal conditions but it was 50F when I sprayed while trying to beat winter. And of course there was the fuel tank to worry about but had the back vented/opened up pretty good.

@ajwalk2008 , welcome to the forum and nice you have the same 'Mr Heater' I do!

This propane heater in the photo is a 'Master' brand which I borrowed from my neighbor before buying mine.
Attached Images

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.