motor new for 2005 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > motor new for 2005

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 11-28-2003, 03:04 AM   #16
oH2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAURS
The new WK is not going to be built on the ML platform or have indepenent rear suspension. The new ML will be buiilt on the WK platform. The WK is rumored to have IFS and a SRA from the numerous reports and also from insiders at the plants. It will also have the new HEMI as an engine option.
You are exactly correct, but the IFS/IRS combination is NOT a rumour, just take a close look at the spy shots and this can be 100% confirmed.

oH2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2003, 03:06 AM   #17
oH2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatterp22
well everyone I think this is what the new wk will look like
http://ten.ewzone.com/articleFull.asp?aid=197&sid=2
Nope, that's the 1999 Commander concept which is very different from the new WK.
Unread 11-28-2003, 09:15 AM   #18
JAURS

I heard that those spy shots may have been from a test vehicle in the late 90's, not the actual WK. On wjjeeps.com, it states that it will be IFS/SRA. If they go to IFS/IRS, Jeep is doomed in my opinion. Also, I'm one of those people who does buy a Grand for off-roading. I've taken mine through things that Wranglers have gone through. Also, solid axle, is a simpler set up with less parts to break. Why do you think there are ball joint recalls on the Dakota and Liberty? Because of the new IFS set-up. Just my $0.02.
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #19
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Expanding on the whole independant suspension/doom thing....

The solid axles are a selling point, in my book, and if they go IS there are better choices out there. If I had to choose between a Jeep and a Toyota, both having comparable suspensions, I'd go with the Toy.
Solid axles are part of the mystique, part of the heritage. Get rid of them, get rid of a bunch of faithful owners.
Why do you think the Probe didn't replace the Mustang? Faithful owners.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2003, 01:02 PM   #20
iroc22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oH2o
You are exactly correct, but the IFS/IRS combination is NOT a rumour, just take a close look at the spy shots and this can be 100% confirmed.
I did take a look at the ONE test vehicle they took spy shots of and it did have SRA. I'm just saying some test vehicles were built with IRS. That's all.
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2003, 08:30 PM   #21
JAURS

I'm surprised that Jeep even tossed around the idea of IRS, but then again, who would've thought IFS would've appeared. I wish that the GC, being the flagship vehicle, would stay with a solid axle set-up on all axles. Oh well, times have changed. Hopefully it will only be IFS and not IRS also.
JAURS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2003, 09:07 PM   #22
iroc22

They should build the new GC on the G platform, but change that ugly box for a body.
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2003, 12:35 AM   #23
oH2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAURS
I heard that those spy shots may have been from a test vehicle in the late 90's, not the actual WK
If you are referring to these:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/newoptions2.htm#2005

They are of the WK, taken in the past few months at the Arizona Proving Grounds in Wittmann, AZ.
Unread 08-29-2004, 10:27 PM   #24
Jeep Cherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep's marketing has always centered around off-road abilities. Higher performance for a Jeep has always meant ability to climb a steeper grade or tackle a rougher trail. Now these prototypes, caught during summer testing, indicate a new type of high-performance - performance on the road rather than on the trail.

Jeep engineers were spied recently with two similarly equipped high-performance Grand Cherokees. Some disguise covers the front end, but one can still clearly see the huge lower bumper air intake scoop that is much larger than the standard intake. This indicates the need for additional engine cooling as used on high-performance engines, typically those that are turbo or supercharged. Considering that the standard Grand Cherokee already can be equipped with a HEMI V-8 engine, this even more powerful model must indeed pack in the horsepower.

The prototype vehicles are equipped with large diameter six-spoke alloy wheels shod with very low-profile high-performance tires - tires meant for use on the street and not off-road. It is also interesting to note that the big dual exhaust pipes are located in the center of the rear bumper - taking up the slot normally used for a trailer hitch. No trailer towing for these street racers!

But what will Jeep call this high-performance, street model? They have no history of such Jeeps. Perhaps they will borrow a designation from Dodge and call it the R/T, or maybe one from Chrysler and call it the SRT. Whatever it is called, you can be sure it will be one fast Jeep.

TCC
Jeep Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2004, 01:58 PM   #25
lockyouraxles

jeeez, why is every single car company trying to build a street racer out of everything? (and also make their cars more bling cough H2) I thought for sure at least jeep wouldnt jump on this bandwagon. They also have no more solid axle. They gotta have some complicated rubber band like indy car independent suspension. This is not a Jeep at all and is more of a competitor to the Porche Cayenne. Come on, they even went so far as to put exhaust tips where the trailer hitch is suppposed to be! That leaves the answer to if u want a jeep and have to tow down to a wrangler which will jacknife on the smallest of turns due to swb (exaggeration) and the liberty, which cant carry a really big load. That got to me the most. When I first saw pics, I was happy to see that the gc went back to its larger, boxier shape. I was even happier to hear it had a hemi, for awesome torque off road. I thought it could maybe rival the H2. Well, I'm sad to say that even Hummer has a better idea of what theyre doing. At least Hummer wouldn't turn their flagship vehicle into some street racer with a high torque v8 geared for on road performance. I dont know how up to date those pics are but I'm prayin to god that thats not the production version.
And I thought the last gc was bad!
please excuse my exaggeration on some parts
/end rant
lockyouraxles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.