motor mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > motor mounts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
jeep93GCL
1993 ZJ 

motor mounts

Hey has anybody change their motor mounts on their jeeps is hard and how many mounts is it. When I drive the vibrations goes away when I stop at a red light or stop if vibrates but once I drive away it goes away I was thinking it was the motor mounts has anybody had this problem before....

jeep93GCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I do exact same thing however by tuning it up and putting feel cleaner in the tank I am narrowing it down to old dirty injectors and worn mounts.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
a20ftsloth
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it might be two. I'd probably just google it if I were you. Just crawl under there and see if they're dry rotted. But honestly if it goes away at high rpms then it's not the mounts. If I were you I would get in the car, drive down the block, and stop but keep it in drive. Try putting it in neutral and if the vibrations go away then it's your tranny. The best solution is to go home, pull the parking brake, put the car in neutral with the car still on, and check the transmission fluid. If I'm right then you're going to want to add some fluid and that should help it. Basically your tranny is still grabbing the engine a bit at stop and that's what causing the vibrations. So ill say it again; parking brake, turn engine on, put in neutral, and fill tranny till full.
a20ftsloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Scopez
1996 ZJ 

What motor? To test worn motor mounts, put the jeep in drive, hold the brake and give it a little gas. Do the same in reverse. If your motor moves any, more than likely bad mounts.

I suggest IronMan4x4fab mounts. I ordered some, but I haven't received them yet. I just heard very good things about them.
Scopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

My tranny is full and it does it mine is slowly diminishing over time I'm thinking my issue is old dirty injectors or worn mounts more gearing towards the trans mount.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
CanaanTSA5
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep93GCL View Post
Hey has anybody change their motor mounts on their jeeps is hard and how many mounts is it. When I drive the vibrations goes away when I stop at a red light or stop if vibrates but once I drive away it goes away I was thinking it was the motor mounts has anybody had this problem before....
The I6 4.0 has 2 mounts. The mounts them selves are easy to replace. The only snag is that you need to lift up your motor to do it.

I am currently dealing with the same kind of vibration issue. When I come to a stop, the front end will shake. Sometimes violently, sometimes just lightly. In my case, I narrowed it down to more than one thing wrong. My transmission wouldn't downshift properly (Gears 2 and 1). The converter lockup valve in the transmission valvebody was sticking.

I put in some Automatic Transmission Treatment fluid and that solved the vibration issue about 75%. I'm assuming that it also needs motor and transmission mounts as well. It's 14 years old and gets the hell beat out of it. Not really what the stock mounts were intended for.

Other than that, you could try cleaning your IAC. That's what's next on my list before I spend the money for mounts.
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

If you want to upgrade while you swap check out ironman4x4fab.com. They have motor and trans mounts for all Zj models.

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I think he was looking for a how to, I wouldn't mind knowing myself.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Replace all three, L/R engine and rear tranny.

Not a ZJ, but similar to this...
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I was just wondering about the board under the oil pan thing, if it was the accepted method Thanks Korea.
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

The board idea should be ok. The idea is to distribute the motor weight across the board versus a the smaller area of a jack's head. I have done this before on other vehicles without problems.

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #12
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

I used the block of wood under the oil pan on my 4.0L. No problem. It's the recommended procedure in Haynes, can't remember what the FSM says.

The driver's side mount is the one where access can be an issue. I've seen people change it as-is, but I took a few minutes to pull the airbox, and voila - plenty of room.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

.....and the gear shaft? Some say remove or pry on, nothing in the fsm about that. I was just thinking I would tackle the mounts while doing all the rework on the sus./strg systems.
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:37 AM   #14
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

You mean the steering shaft? There's just enough room between it and the frame to get a socket onto the bolts underneath it. That wasn't a problem at all.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #15
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Cool, thanks for the replies !

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.