Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Motor going south. Opinions wanted.

671 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  LBX2G 
#1 ·
Here is the deal. I have a 94Zj with 210000 miles and the head gasket has gone out and is leaking coolant into the block. Even with this problem the jeep has been running just fine; not overheating, doesn't stumble, and oil pressure is good. Of course the shop that I take it to to do the things I don't have time for said I should replace the whole motor b/c the barrings are probably scored. For the money they want for that is outragous! So here are my ideas. 1. Remove the head and have it checked out to rule out a crack and have it machined to make sure it is flat, and put in a new head gasket, bolt it all together run some clean oil through it and hope for the best. 2. Used motor with 70000 miles with a 60 day warranty 900.00 to my door, put it in myself (which should not be a problem). Well what are your opinions? I know I would love to do a stroker but a little to much $$ and down time right now. Brad

#2 ·
Sounds like you're unsure if it's a gasket or cracked head allowing coolant into the motor. I think your decision rests on knowing the cause.

I had a cracked head on a previous ride, hair-line cracks opening into 2 cylinders allowing coolant in. Motor ran fine though, with a nice sweet smell from the exhaust in the morning. That was a $2k repair at 115k miles (covered under an unlimited mileage warranty). Point is -it could not be repaired with a with a machined surface.

#4 ·
I had the same problem with an Isuzu pup about five years ago. Mechanic took the head off and had it magnafluxed for cracks. Well it had one and the only opion was to buy a re-worked used head. The whole thing still cost me around a grand, parts and labor. I still had an Isuzu with 90,000 miles on it. I continued to run it for about four more years and put about 60,000 additional miles on it. Sold the thing to a college student over a year ago. Last time I saw it which was about a month ago, it was still running strong.

Having said all that, I would go with the used motor. You've already got over 200,000 on the one that's in it now. Chances are you've gotten the best out of it. Change the thing and save the money you might have to spend in the near future. At least with the used engine you probably got another good 75,000 or more if it was maintained well. It's the chance you take either way. You could always just do a head gasket and try that. All you would lose is the price of the gasket and your labor.

#5 ·
If you have coolant in the engine oil, its trashed. Guaranteed, bearings don't like coolant as a lubricant. Everyone Ive had to fix like that last about a thousand miles and start knocking. I would go with a used engine too, at this point you could find one around a 100K and get another hundred out of the Jeep.

#6 ·
I vote for the used engine for $900. Replace it yourself and build a stroker out of the bad one in your spare time.

#8 ·
You didn't say if you have a 4.0 or a 5.2. If you have the 4.0 you can get a NEW short block for $800 plus shipping. I'd rather go with a new engine rather than a used one, especially for the same price. Check out www.makeitmopar.com. If you have the 5.2 then go with the used one for $900.

#10 ·
well i am kind stuck in this same area too. I thought about pulling the engine my self. But i opened the hood and changed my mind. I do not have half of the tools like a cherry picker, a 4 ton jack, jack stands, ect.... so I got a friend of mine to check it out. He got me a deal on a new engine. 1300 and he is chargeing me 585 to drop it in. I kno it is cheaper to get a used one. But with a used one it is like beting blind nil. I mean u might get a good one or u might not. And plus the new engine comes with a 3year/75k warranty. So it looks like I will be a jeep member for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.