More ZJ Problems...Surprise? NO! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > More ZJ Problems...Surprise? NO!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

More ZJ Problems...Surprise? NO!

So I've been having some funky oil gauge activity. It drops to 20 in idle and goes back to 40 when giving it some skinny pedal. I posted a thread about this and someone says its normal...even though I've never noticed this while driving her. I figured it has something to do with the small oil leak..maybe.

Anyways I just spent some time under her (love it down there) and I noticed the leaks were coming from the tranny pan and the North end of the transmission where there's some sort of 1mm thick metal plate(what's this for?)..its missing 1 bolt. Although the drippings on the ground were oily and golden brown..not runny and red ( ) like tranny fluid. Also I did my pan gasket a month ago and stopped most of the leaking and I checked if the seal was compromised and its fine..still gotta do valve cover & oil filter adapter.

I'm stumped as what to do next besides replace the o-rings on the filter adapter and drop my tranny pan and do that gasket.

Suggestions please!?
It's 102 degrees outside so I'm gonna go have a cigarette, a brew and admire my baby I hope this thread helps someone else...btw has there ever been a non-leaking ZJ?

Unread 06-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Well if its not trans fluid it's not going to have anything to do with the transmission pan gasket. If you're talking about what I think you're referring to, that is the inspection plate, used to inspect the flexplate on the transmission. Usually it is the rear main seal, but can be as simple as the valve cover gasket leaking on the back side of the engine, or an oil pan gasket leak.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Yes that's exactly what it is...just looked it up. Well I guess I should do my valve cover gasket and see what happens since my pan gasket isn't leaking. It could be the rear main seal since I believe that was the thing I forgot to put back on when I had my pan back up. I just said **** it...it's a hemisphere shaped bracket thing right?
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Not a bracket, rather a 2 piece seal. Looks like this:

imageuploadedbyag-free1370307108.519944.jpg

If that seal is removed completely, I would think you would have a larger leak.

In regards to your question about the oil pressure fluctuating, I'm 99% sure it is normal for a high mileage engine. If it bothers you, you could try running 1/3 of a can of seafoam in the oil a few hundred miles before an oil change. The oil pump pickup screen could be partially gummed up.

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRoxxah View Post
So I've been having some funky oil gauge activity. It drops to 20 in idle and goes back to 40 when giving it some skinny pedal. I posted a thread about this and someone says its normal...even though I've never noticed this while driving her. I figured it has something to do with the small oil leak..maybe.

Anyways I just spent some time under her (love it down there) and I noticed the leaks were coming from the tranny pan and the North end of the transmission where there's some sort of 1mm thick metal plate(what's this for?)..its missing 1 bolt. Although the drippings on the ground were oily and golden brown..not runny and red ( ) like tranny fluid. Also I did my pan gasket a month ago and stopped most of the leaking and I checked if the seal was compromised and its fine..still gotta do valve cover & oil filter adapter.

I'm stumped as what to do next besides replace the o-rings on the filter adapter and drop my tranny pan and do that gasket.

Suggestions please!?
It's 102 degrees outside so I'm gonna go have a cigarette, a brew and admire my baby I hope this thread helps someone else...btw has there ever been a non-leaking ZJ?
since you got the leak figured out i'll leave that be, i didn't know anyways. and the oil pressure change is normal. As in that's how it should be. I know when mine gets low on oil my pressure stays pinned higher lol. Just a way I know my zj. Essentially it equals out to be around 10psi for 1000rpms. Now mine never gets quite down to 10 even at idle and that's fine.

And no there has never been a non-leaking ZJ. I'm convinced they came off the factory line like this lol.
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

oil leaking from the filter adapter looks like a rear seal leak when you're under there.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
And no there has never been a non-leaking ZJ. I'm convinced they came off the factory line like this lol.
this^

I'll do my valve cover and filter adapter ASAP and see if that solves anything. As for the rear main seal, I used high temp RTV all around for the gasket so there was no piece completing the upper hemisphere...is that about to be a major PITA?
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantheheeler View Post
Well if its not trans fluid it's not going to have anything to do with the transmission pan gasket. If you're talking about what I think you're referring to, that is the inspection plate, used to inspect the flexplate on the transmission. Usually it is the rear main seal, but can be as simple as the valve cover gasket leaking on the back side of the engine, or an oil pan gasket leak.

Im betting on the valve cover leaking. When you change that, put rtv on the bolts and clean the top of the cover real well where the bolt tightens up. Thats where my leak is right now.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

I would grab a rear main seal and be prepared to pull that oil pan off again to replace it. Do a search here for replacement instructions. While you're in there it'll give you a chance to take a look at that oil pump pickup screen.

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
AveryZJ
1998 ZJ 

This is of no help but my ZJ hasn't leaked once.
AveryZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryZJ View Post
It's out of oil.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Put some amsoil in it. Then we'll see!
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

I'll def do the valve cover now that I got a deep socket kit. Ugh pulling my oil pan was such an ordeal atleast I checked the screen while I was at it. It was all good.

Thanks for the help guys

Quote:
I call bull****!!!
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRoxxah View Post

Yeah... that was me that posted it's normal...4 Jeeps with 4.0 engines, and it's done that to all of them...

Of course, they all had the "normal" ZJ leaks that they're famous for. I'm in process of doing the seals to TRY and fix the leaks.

I KNOW that both of our current ones have the Oil Filter adapter leak. I'll also be dropping the lower pan if I see a leak when I take it to get a new tranny *when it comes in*
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.