MORE electrical problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > MORE electrical problems

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-22-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
JeepGuyRyan

MORE electrical problems

Jeeps are great vehicles for all around use, but suck when it comes to electrical problems!

1994 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V-8 103,000 miles

Problem: The Radio resets everytime the car is turned off so I loose the station presets and the time. Also the Vehicle Display thing below the radio resets as well resting the time and such, any suggestions?

Unread 12-23-2002, 12:32 AM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

There are 4 power feeds that go to the radio. It sounds like the one that supplies constant power to keep the memory alive has blown a fuse. These are the four power feeds:

1. Switched to supply power when the ignition is in the ON position or the ACC position. (This appears to be OK if the radio works when the car is running)
2. A power feed that connects to the parking lights and dimmer circuit. (You can check this by turning on the park lights and see if the light in the radio comes on. This should work without turning on the jeep.)
3. A circuit that goes through Fuse #1 (by the battery) and then Fuse #8 (probably in the fuse panel that is accessable when the passenger front door is open.) Check to see if these fuses are OK. If the power locks work, this circuit is probably OK.
4. I can't find the fuse source for the 4th circuit in my wiring diagram but it is connected to the same source as the courtesy lamp switch. Again check the fuses by the passenger door.

I hope this helps you track down your problem.
Good Luck
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2002, 01:41 PM   #3
MJR

Your battery is going dead and needs to be replaced. When the battery voltage drops below 8 volts when you crank the engine over this resets everything. Rarely do most people notice the slower cranking on the V-8s.
Unread 12-23-2002, 10:21 PM   #4
JeepGuyRyan

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated.

It has a fairly new battery (about a year old) but it has been cranking slowly, thing is, I took it up to Autozone and they checked the battery and the alternator and said both were fine. But it suffers from the slow crank problem now as well (started doing it suddenly a few weeks ago) this radio memory problem has been occuring for the past 2 years my brother has owned this jeep. Thanks again for the info,

Ryan
Unread 12-24-2002, 04:40 AM   #5
Slightly_Off

I assume its an aftermarket radio, There is a wire that supplys 12 volts constantly to the head unit. and another 12 volt line from the acc swich, it could be that when the radio was installed they did not hook up the constant 12 volt connection and just used the acc connection and that would cause the loss of memory for the radio.try to find a wireing diagram for your radio and take a votage meter and find the acc line and the constang 12 volt line, if you find both and both work like they should...well....there goes my theory.

1993 ZJ 4.0L
Slightly_Off is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2002, 10:26 PM   #6
JeepGuyRyan

No, it's the factory stock AM/FM/Cassette

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.