Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Mopar Performance Timing Gear set

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Yardman Harry 
#1 ·
brand new set received in the mail from summit

Upon inspecting the new gear set the crank gear looks used, wear on the teeth.

what do you think? send it back? install it?

thanks,

Harry

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
well, was just hoping one of you guys would say 'its supposed to be like that, install it...'

Called summit racing and after apologizing to me a few times, they are over nighting me a new gear set free of charge no questions asked. And picking up this one...
Great service, wasn't on the phone for more than 5 minutes.

Reactions: chakkuchan
#5 ·
Yeah, I'd say that somebody pulled a fast one, hoping that Summit wouldn't inspect a returned item, and they weren't let down. Either that or it was an honest inventory mistake, which seems less likely. It's good that they got you squared away quickly. Good luck.

#6 ·
It looks used, but that could also be the lines from machining. if it were used the edges around the teeth should be rounded and worn. They look pretty flat and plateou to me.

Go to the autoparts store, ask to see a cog wheel from a timing set they have an compare the two

#7 ·
Thanks guys. Summit was really good about it as mentioned so it's okay. I can't do any work on the Jeep this week so Tuesday to get a new set is okay. That crank gear is pretty bad. Even the one I pulled from the grand with 230000 miles on it isn't as bad as the one I received from summit.

Wasted money for summit though. They should implement some quality checks inbound before issuing customer credit.

Oh well. Thanks!

#8 ·
My $.02 is that it's a crap machining job. Dull bit pushed too fast.

Nice that they came through so fast and easy for you.

#9 ·
I think you are correct. The replacement that Summit sent me is just as bad if not worse than the first one i sent back.

should I take my chances and install it? or go for another brand of timing set?

#15 ·
The new one is bad in spots good in others... Hard to see in the picture. Wonder why this performance part is so terrible.

Thanks for looking it up for me and the advice. I might go with the cloyes or spend the extra money and give hughes the business. They mention that they take the extra time to "All steel sprockets are hand filed and then vibratory
tumbled twice--once before heat treat and again after heat treat. This knocks off any hanging burrs,
eliminates sharp edges and removes heat treat scale."

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...VGltaW5nIENoYWluICYgQ29tcG9uZW50&partid=23310

MaintMech said:
How does it fit?
I have not installed it. It sits on my desk next to the whiskey i am drinking

Timo_90xj said:
They look so rough they will eat the timing chain very quickly.. not to mention the amount of metal flakes it will introduce into the engine oil.

I would not install that set.
Thank for the advice... the hughes site says the same thing.. i definitely wont install it.

So, Hughes or Cloyes?

Thanks!

Attachments

#12 ·
I wouldn't really worry so much about the sprocket/ crankshaft mating surfaces, but I would worry about the poor machining quality of the sprocket teeth. They look so rough they will eat the timing chain very quickly.. not to mention the amount of metal flakes it will introduce into the engine oil.

I would not install that set.

#13 ·
Yea see i was right, it wasnt used. I was the first one to mention it was the machining. You can see used for new.. Look at the plateou of the teeth.. used would be rounded.. new is flat and then straight down.

That set is worse then the cloyes set.. and the cloyes were pretty good.. I know what its like to get your Jeep on the road.. but i would return it get a refund and get a cloyes set. I have cloyes on the 5.9 and 4.0 and never 1 single issue.

Yo ucan tell used also by the smooth surface.. Yours has alot of lines indictive of a machines teeth pealing away the metal like a cucumber

#14 ·
Yea see i was right, it wasnt used. I was the first one to mention it was the machining. You can see used for new.. Look at the plateou of the teeth.. used would be rounded.. new is flat and then straight down.

That set is worse then the cloyes set.. and the cloyes were pretty good.. I know what its like to get your Jeep on the road.. but i would return it get a refund and get a cloyes set. I have cloyes on the 5.9 and 4.0 and never 1 single issue.

Yo ucan tell used also by the smooth surface.. Yours has alot of lines indictive of a machines teeth pealing away the metal like a cucumber
Is that your review on Summit for the Cloyes?

#16 ·
#17 ·
Thanks Ill call summit tomorrow and get this one sent back..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.