Mods needed after lifting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mods needed after lifting?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 06-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
Asuryan9
1997 ZJ 

Mods needed after lifting?

So I am looking into buying my first ZJ.
I looked but didn't see, is there a list of things that need to be done after you lift a certain amount? To fix driveline angles or something like that.

Thanks so much
Steve

Asuryan9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
DrgnRebrn
1998 ZJ 

Check out my thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...php?p=29817761
DrgnRebrn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
GR8_YT
1996 ZJ 

You can lift up to 3.5 inches without having to make any adjustments to the driveline. Anything more than that will change angles enough to require some adjustments.
Unread 06-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
DrgnRebrn
1998 ZJ 

Even a 3.5" lift benefits greatly from an adjustable rear track bar & a double shear front track bar, not to mention needing extended sway bar links in the front & back, and shocks with more travel.

Yes, these are suspension, not driveline, components - but they impact your driveline & drivability.
Unread 06-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

At 2" you really need an adjustable front trackbar.

Above that you need a rear one.

Above 3.5" you aren't going to get away with stock control arms.

Above 4.5" you start wanting long arms.

Above 7" you need your head examined.

Steering angles start to get bad after 4.5", but by that time you're usually doing something else that fixes it anyway (better axle with high steer, OTK WJ swap).

With the exception of the rzeppa front driveshaft the stock driveshafts will take you very far.

Of course the real answer is that you shouldn't base a lift off of the height you want but on the tires you want to run and the trails you want to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
Asuryan9
1997 ZJ 

Oye, I never got any mails that anyone responded to this post, thank you all.

I bought a 97 v8 zj, going to pick it up Saturday, guy says it has a 5 inch rustys lift on it, I dont even see a 5inch on their web site. Assuming it is lifted 5 inches and its on 33x12.5x15 tires is there anything I would need to do immediately for safety?
Unread 07-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
DrgnRebrn
1998 ZJ 

Really just depends on the status of the parts currently on the Jeep, what the PO replaced, what parts he replaced components with, etc.

If you haven't already, look at the bushings in your control arms, track bars, sway bar links, sway bars, and shocks. Also inspect your tie rod ends and ball joints. Any cracked, bulging, deteriorating rubber will need to be addressed - either immediately or soon after delivery. Torn grease boots will need to be addressed right away, and if there's any play in your ball joints (tie rod ends) you'll want to look into replacing them as well. Check your steering stabilizer for leaking fluid, as well as your shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuryan9 View Post
Oye, I never got any mails that anyone responded to this post, thank you all.

I bought a 97 v8 zj, going to pick it up Saturday, guy says it has a 5 inch rustys lift on it, I dont even see a 5inch on their web site. Assuming it is lifted 5 inches and its on 33x12.5x15 tires is there anything I would need to do immediately for safety?
Unread 07-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Post pics of the suspension once you get it and we'll help you figure out what you have.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 07-23-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Asuryan9
1997 ZJ 

Thanks so much, should have it home Saturday morning, I'll get some pictures underneath.
This is a picture of it, does it look like a 5 inch lift?

Only thing I lifted was my old k5, not sure how high the lift was, it was on the axles when I bought them, guy said it was 4 inches but it looked a lot like this.
_57.jpg  
Unread 07-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #10
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, that looks to be in the 5-6 range. On short arms thats not really going to ride great, you should really be on long arms.

Quote:
Unread 07-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
Asuryan9
1997 ZJ 

When you say arms, length of control arms??
I don't drive too much normally, my commute is only about 10-15mins each way to work so I can deal with a rough ride at first.

Can I just replace the arms with long arms?
Unread 07-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #12
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yes, short arms use the stock frame side mounts which will give you poor geometry at such a high lift.

You can get a long arm upgrade kit from a few places, I would suggest IRO or clayton, and you can start with the front and do the back later.

Quote:
Unread 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
blackjack12982
1994 ZJ 

As well as giving the suspension a close eye, I'd also check the spare tire on the roof. Is that 550 cord tying down the spare?
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
GR8_YT
1996 ZJ 

This is what a 3.5 inch lift looks like

forumrunner_20150724_201612.jpg

forumrunner_20150724_201628.jpg
Unread 07-25-2015, 08:41 AM   #15
Asuryan9
1997 ZJ 

Got her home, going to take some pictures soon hopefully.

Guy said it was a rustys 5inch long arm kit. Assume he means the 5.5inch, dont see a 5 inch on their web site.

It rode pretty well on the way home.

Few issues that I came across though, the pass window motor works but the glass comes down unevenly, any ideas why?
Also the little diagnostic screen was telling me cooling sensor bad, does that mean my temp gauge isn't working?
It also need 4 shocks, for the back window and rear tailgate, do we have a part number for them so I can order them?

Thanks so much guys
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.