Modding up the ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Modding up the ZJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-07-2002, 06:51 AM   #1
flytrap

Modding up the ZJ?

Looking for advice on whether I should start to add mods to beef up my 97 ZJ or work on my xterra. My actual question is does the ZJ have a solid enough suspension to add a lift and big tires? I've been learning about the xterra and there seem to be problems later on after a lift has been added. Things such as weakening of the centerlink and tie rods.
Would I have these same problems with the Jeep?
Whatever happens the other truck will be the wife's doggie mobile.

Thanks for the help.

flytrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2002, 06:15 PM   #2
Lewis Fowler

I had an xterra fro a year when they first came out and they are very weak offroad. IFS and a bad transfer case just to begin and they have no power even with the supercharger. If your talking about spending some serious money to do a solid axle swap then thats a whole different story because you could make a bad *** rig. I have a ZJ now and its a whole lot better, plus if your not trying to spend that much they can still be extremely capable offroad.
Lewis Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2002, 04:34 PM   #3
flytrap

Yea, It looks like after much research I'm going to beef up my ZJ for off road. There is a great aftermarket scene out there and so many options.........I just wish I had some serious cash....LOL
Unread 05-13-2002, 05:24 PM   #4
Big Dumb White Guy

you don't have to buy EVERYTHING. keep searching. you can always find something you can DIY (Do It Yourself). there's pelnty of things.... just keep looking

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2002, 05:24 PM   #5
Camster

good luck my friend. i am going to be in your shoes in a few years. just enjoying what i have until then. the joys of Jeeping baby!

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 03:01 PM   #6
FutureZJOwner

Hey Lewis, I am local too. Where are some good off roading places where it would justify having a Jeep?

thanks

It's not a car, a truck, or an SUV. It's a Jeep. There's only one.
FutureZJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 03:03 PM   #7
FutureZJOwner

And, yes, modify your ZJ, the real Jeep..

It's not a car, a truck, or an SUV. It's a Jeep. There's only one.
FutureZJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2002, 05:24 PM   #8
flytrap

I just ordered the RE 3.5" lift and Trxus MT 31's. I'm going to install the lift with my brother, should learn a lot along the way.
I'm in this for the long run now

flytrap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.