moaning in low speed turns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > moaning in low speed turns

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
alexsious
2002 WJ 

moaning in low speed turns

sometimes like in my neighborhood or a parking lot, my jeep sounds like its moaning. at really slow speeds while turning it sounds like heavy rubber being twisted. it sounds like its coming from the rear because the rear shudders when coming out of the turn. its kind of freaking me out.

alexsious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
alexsious
2002 WJ 

anyone have an idea why it might sound like a haunted ship in some scary movie??
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

What type of 4x4 are u? select-trac Quadradrive?
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
alexsious
2002 WJ 

selec-trac
Unread 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

check ur differntials the pumpkin lookin thing on the axle see if it has enough fluid in it. (take the plug out fluid should be level with the hole)

also could have a bad wheel bearing.
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
ajmorell

Sounds like a power steering issue to me. Have you checked to make sure the reservoir is topped off?
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
alexsious
2002 WJ 

i will check that stuff when i get home tonight. i think the ps fluid is low but i don't think that is everything. it shudders really bad when i make a slow turn and sounds like a creaking old ship about to snap in half from hurricane winds!
Unread 01-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

make sure your transfer case isn't stuck in 4wd part time. in part time the wheels are spinning at the same speed. i've tried it before and it sounds exactly as you said. check the transfer case linkage.
Unread 01-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
alexsious
2002 WJ 

i do need to check that because i can never feel it change when i shift from 4FT to 2WD.
Unread 01-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
tfgnt16
2009 WK 

you should hear and feel the tcase lever slighty "snap" into position when you shift back into 2WD. there should also be an audible difference in the sound of your jeep. it gets a bit quieter when it's properly shifted back into 2WD.
i used to have the same problem as you until i had my tranny rebuilt, thankfully under warranty. the dealer must has reset the linkage on the tcase when they set it back in place.
Unread 01-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #11
irishmarco
2004 WJ 

Sounds like what my '01 is doing with Quadradrive, I guess I should change all the fluids and see if that helps?

'89 YJ Wrangler S 2.5L (60K), 2" Rusty's AAL, 31" BFG
'90 Miata (30 mpg DD) 220K, '01 engine (27K)
sold : '95 XJ country, 4.5" RE, 31" BFG, F&R lockers
sold : '01 WJ 4.7L Limited, really wanted to lift! (wife)
irishmarco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
alexsious
2002 WJ 

ALL the fluids were changed a few weeks ago. but i think it could be getting stuck 4PT because i am running it in 4FT with no sounds. i shifted from neutral to full time a little fast and got a nice back jarring. then i drove down the road and switched to part time and got another nice clunk, then shifted 2WD and got nothing. so its probably that. how will i be able to check the linkage? and how will i be able to adjust it. right now its freakin cold so i can't check at the moment.
Unread 02-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #13
alexsious
2002 WJ 

i checked all the wheel bearings, they are still good. i tried checking if it was stuck in 4PT by throwing it in 2WD and rotating one lifted front wheel with the other on the ground till the transfer case clicked and i could freely rotate the front wheel. i drove it after that to check that it stayed in 2WD but the sound was still there. so its not the transfer case. i guess next is check the fluid levels in the diffs and PS fluid. its so clear i can't tell where the fluid is on the stick. could the diff have seized? it has had water in it and the fluids were changed, but maybe enough water was left to rust it together. also my diffs look wet on the bottom of the covers but its not leaking. it just looks like wet paper. could this be a problem? how much would a shop charge for differential work?
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
KeeptheJeep
2004 WJ 

Remove your front drive shaft and take the jeep for a drive. If it goes away, then you have a bad u-joint or front diff most likely.
KeeptheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
alexsious
2002 WJ 

oh boy... how hard is it to do that? i don't have my haynes manual with me right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.