Mixing different brands of ATF+4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mixing different brands of ATF+4

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Gniks18
1998 ZJ 

Mixing different brands of ATF+4

Just bought a 5.9er and it needs a little trans fluid. I was wondering if it's ok to add some to whatever is in there already. I'm assuming its gonna be a different ATF+4 than whats in there as the service doc's don't specify the brand. Couldn't find a definitive answer on here.

Thanks for the help.

Gniks18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Yup doesnt matter at all. Just make sure you check the level on level ground with the transmission warm after a good drive and the shifter in neutral. Make sure you chock the wheels!
PlatinumNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Gniks18
1998 ZJ 

Thanks. Yeah I just saw something that had all the different viscosities between brands of trans fluids. I didn't think it was gonna be an issue, I just wanted to make sure. This is just to hold me over to a complete tune up.
Unread 10-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Post some pix of it. What did you pay for it? Mileage?
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Any brand of ATF+4 that doesnt have extra additives is fine. Advance auto parts has Castrol ATF+4 thats what i use, and its Crystler Certified. May i ask how did you check the ATF fluid ? Was the Jeep hot, in neutral, and on a flat suface ? Thats the only true way to check the level
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Read above lol. Castrol is ok im more a fan of Valvoline but thats just me. I like Valvoline all the way around. Diff fluid, oil, t case, tranny, just my personal preference.
Unread 10-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
Gniks18
1998 ZJ 

I checked it running after 30 mics in neutral. Picked it up for 3700$ with 65k miles. Thing is pretty sweet. Needs rotors, a serpentine belt, possibly a windshield, and a thorough tune up. I would ask what type of fluids you guys recommend throughout but I think it's already been answered. Here's the one good pic I have.
imag0004.jpg  
Unread 10-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Looks good man. Add tires to your list they look pretty used up. I put a 255/65/16 on mine stock height looks great no rubbing at all.
Unread 10-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
melk
1996 ZJ 

Personally I'd just drain the pan and put new filter + fluid in, but hey that's just me
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Gniks18
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I'm gonna take care of the tries as well as a complete tune up. One of the tires is different than the others so I need to definitely get on that. Probably gonna go with the Kolak ignition upgrade in addition to changing all fluids and filters. Another question, seems like the radiator fan only operates at high speed. Comes on at 213 like its supposed to, but it seems like its running at one speed; high.
Unread 10-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Buy the tune up stuff on your own. The kits sold arent anything you cant buy in the store for less $ and there is absolutely no need for platinum plugs. General rule of thumb is never use a platinum plug in anything that didnt come stock with platinum plugs. Jeeps love cheap plugs. Champion, autolite, are the 2 that seem to work best. Next time you have a sec go outside and start your jeep up. Let it run till the fan comes on. When it does just unplug the sending unit in the upper radiator hose. If it stops then it was on low speed if it doesnt then it was on high speed. If it doesnt stop then you have one of 3 problems. A bad low speed relay, bad sending unit in the hose, or a bad low speed on the fan motor. How for how to test. Simply turn the key to ignition, you dont have to start the jeep. Take a peper clip and jump out the plug on the JEEP side that goes into the sending unit in the hose. If nothing happens then chances are the relay is bad. If you hear a click next to the battery but no fan then chances are the motor is bad, and if it kicks on the way it should then the sending unit is bad. Hope the sending unit isnt bad because they arent made anymore and can not be bought anywhere. Jeep no longer makes then an no one makes an aftermarket replacement. You have to tru and find one used which isnt to easy. I hope you followed my instructions. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Im a fellow 5.9 owner and always happy ot help.
Unread 10-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #12
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Your fan comes on at 213 ? Mine comes on at like 180-190f.

I used Castrol ATF+4 for my transfercase on both Jeeps, and the Transmission. I used Coastal Gear oil in the front, but the rear im going to use Mopar stuff, and the engine oil i used Valvoline Max life synthetic blend.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

Your fan doesnt come on at 180 or 190 you may wana replace your temp switch for the gauge. I did because my stock sending unit was causing the gauge to show about 10* cooler than it was actually running.
fan.jpg  
Unread 10-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Gniks18
1998 ZJ 

I saw the epic argument that you had about the ignition upgrade kit. Honestly a lot more people seem to lean towards the Kolak type kit. Nothing against you, but people seem to have nothing but good things to say about it. I searched for all the specific parts online and the cost is roughly the same, except you don't have to order from 5 different retailers when ordering from Kolak.

My understanding is that the fan is supposed to come on at 213, not 180. How would I go about replacing the temp switch, and more important is it even necessary? Do you mean thermostat by temp gauge? Slightly confused.

And I think the sending unit is done. But then again I don't know for sure as the radiator was replaced and someone might have f'd something up along the way...
Unread 10-24-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
PlatinumNiner
Web Wheeler
1998 ZJ 

There is a sending unit mounted on the front of the intake manifold next to the water neck. That sends the signal to the gauge. Replace it. Never said the fan came on at 180 the 213 is right.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.