Mixed tires sizes - whats broke up front? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mixed tires sizes - whats broke up front?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #46
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Did you literally swap the ring & pinion from another axle? If so did you do all the set up required for setting up new gears?

stageninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #47
Rmvr53
1998 ZJ 

if you mean mesh checks, run out, etc with the DI then yes - thats why it took me 10+ days between posts. I tried to just swap out the complete diff but the bearings were stuck (could not adjust the carrier bearing shim pack)...almost broke my spreader and got no movement out of a 20 ton press...it wasn't going anywhere. So, I had to resort to the "nasties" of swaping out the ring gear. Drove it yesterday afternoon for the first time. Front end feels a bit sloppy but I'm going to drive it first to see what specifically it is
Rmvr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #48
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

That's what I was asking. If you'd been able to swap the complete diff you would still have had to "set up" the gears for your case. I get grief on here because I have been changing bearings only & using the factory shims, then checking pattern & running with it. If I were swapping gears it would be a whole other program indeed.

Unread 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #49
lionshooter
1993 ZJ 

In 93, I bought a new ZJ with Command Trac 231 TC. NTW (now NTB) put different sized tires on the front and rear at 60K. Tore up that TC is very short order. Now I have another 93 ZJ with Selec Trac 242 and it has a donut spare.
If tire size is such an issue, why would Jeep do that?
lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #50
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

I think there was a recall to replace the donut with a full size spare
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #51
Scopez
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude
I think there was a recall to replace the donut with a full size spare
I tried that ****. I have a 15" wheel as my spare tire. Completely different tire size aswell. It's still the factory one. I called Chrysler and they said well thats the right full size spare. I'm like I have ****ing 16" wheels. This tire will ruin my Vicious Coupler. They said its only meant for 10miles to find the closest dealership. I dislike stupidity.
Scopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #52
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

You should be able to find a matching wheel @ your local jy. I advocate buying 5 new tires when it's time & run a 5 tire rotation schedule. Then your spare is in the mix and all tires wear evenly. Then when you have a road hazard & have to put on the spare its not a problem.

Unread 09-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #53
Scopez
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stageninja
You should be able to find a matching wheel @ your local jy. I advocate buying 5 new tires when it's time & run a 5 tire rotation schedule. Then your spare is in the mix and all tires wear evenly. Then when you have a road hazard & have to put on the spare its not a problem.
That's what I plan on doing eventually. Ill be ordering soft 8s pretty soon so ill order 5. Even though my spare wheel looks like a soft 8 almost...
Scopez is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.