Mixed tires sizes - whats broke up front? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mixed tires sizes - whats broke up front?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #46
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Did you literally swap the ring & pinion from another axle? If so did you do all the set up required for setting up new gears?

stageninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #47
Rmvr53
1998 ZJ 

if you mean mesh checks, run out, etc with the DI then yes - thats why it took me 10+ days between posts. I tried to just swap out the complete diff but the bearings were stuck (could not adjust the carrier bearing shim pack)...almost broke my spreader and got no movement out of a 20 ton press...it wasn't going anywhere. So, I had to resort to the "nasties" of swaping out the ring gear. Drove it yesterday afternoon for the first time. Front end feels a bit sloppy but I'm going to drive it first to see what specifically it is
Rmvr53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #48
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

That's what I was asking. If you'd been able to swap the complete diff you would still have had to "set up" the gears for your case. I get grief on here because I have been changing bearings only & using the factory shims, then checking pattern & running with it. If I were swapping gears it would be a whole other program indeed.

Unread 09-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #49
lionshooter
1993 ZJ 

In 93, I bought a new ZJ with Command Trac 231 TC. NTW (now NTB) put different sized tires on the front and rear at 60K. Tore up that TC is very short order. Now I have another 93 ZJ with Selec Trac 242 and it has a donut spare.
If tire size is such an issue, why would Jeep do that?
lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #50
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

I think there was a recall to replace the donut with a full size spare
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #51
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude
I think there was a recall to replace the donut with a full size spare
I tried that ****. I have a 15" wheel as my spare tire. Completely different tire size aswell. It's still the factory one. I called Chrysler and they said well thats the right full size spare. I'm like I have ****ing 16" wheels. This tire will ruin my Vicious Coupler. They said its only meant for 10miles to find the closest dealership. I dislike stupidity.
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #52
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

You should be able to find a matching wheel @ your local jy. I advocate buying 5 new tires when it's time & run a 5 tire rotation schedule. Then your spare is in the mix and all tires wear evenly. Then when you have a road hazard & have to put on the spare its not a problem.

Unread 09-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #53
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stageninja
You should be able to find a matching wheel @ your local jy. I advocate buying 5 new tires when it's time & run a 5 tire rotation schedule. Then your spare is in the mix and all tires wear evenly. Then when you have a road hazard & have to put on the spare its not a problem.
That's what I plan on doing eventually. Ill be ordering soft 8s pretty soon so ill order 5. Even though my spare wheel looks like a soft 8 almost...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.