Mixed tires sizes - whats broke up front? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mixed tires sizes - whats broke up front?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #31
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
It's only really 2wd with the front shaft out. Other than that you are turning everything in the front. Burnouts and racing are childish.
Yup its a jeep not a camaro

Unread 08-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #32
drobes34
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post

Yup its a jeep not a camaro
Mud and crud!!!
drobes34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #33
Rmvr53
1998 ZJ 

parts came - parts wrong.

I spoke with the guy at the 4x4 shop - I told him I needed a 3.73 R&P for a 98 Jeep Grand Chreokee 5.2 with factory towing pkg. The Pinion that came is about 3/4" longer than the one I took out. He says this is the only part number showing for this Jeep. So...what do I have?

thanks
Rmvr53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #34
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Probably for an iron dana 44
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #35
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmvr53 View Post
parts came - parts wrong.

I spoke with the guy at the 4x4 shop - I told him I needed a 3.73 R&P for a 98 Jeep Grand Chreokee 5.2 with factory towing pkg. The Pinion that came is about 3/4" longer than the one I took out. He says this is the only part number showing for this Jeep. So...what do I have?

thanks
Front axle is D30. Rear axle is D44HD.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #36
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

You need the 'short' pinion.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #37
Rmvr53
1998 ZJ 

so...when I go the the junk yard tomorrow to pull a front R&P out of a 98ZJ, will the three that they say they have in the yard be the same as mine?...if not, what am I looking for (externally) without taking it apart
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #38
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmvr53 View Post
so...when I go the the junk yard tomorrow to pull a front R&P out of a 98ZJ, will the three that they say they have in the yard be the same as mine?...if not, what am I looking for (externally) without taking it apart
All ZJ's got a D30 in the front. In the rear 93-95 got D35. 96-98 got D44a v8 only.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #39
Red-ZJ
1995 ZJ 

Not to threadjack, but this story of mismatched tires has me worried. I made the same mistake, with some worn-to-baldness 235/75/15 tires on the front, and some new 235/75/15 tires on the rear. Started to make strange noises halfway home, popping and jump around. Once I realized what was happening I put both of the new tires on the passenger side, and bought two new tires. AWD is still working... How does one check the VC?
Red-ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #40
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-ZJ View Post
Not to threadjack, but this story of mismatched tires has me worried. I made the same mistake, with some worn-to-baldness 235/75/15 tires on the front, and some new 235/75/15 tires on the rear. Started to make strange noises halfway home, popping and jump around. Once I realized what was happening I put both of the new tires on the passenger side, and bought two new tires. AWD is still working... How does one check the VC?
Do figure 8s in a parking lot.

Youll know.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #41
Rmvr53
1998 ZJ 

I just love a successful yard raid. Got the correct pinion and complete diff for $60; got dang near new rotors and pads for $16.00 (total for both sides - rotors mic out at .999); now...whats the diff run-out set to so I know what shims to put back in...or do I just put in the shim pack I took out of the donor ZJ and run with it?
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #42
Rmvr53
1998 ZJ 

well...small setback with a question. I put the new pinion in, went to bolt it up, the yoke won't seat. Took it off to check and it will slide about 1/2 way on the splines then sticks. Is this just the difference in yokes Old yoke new Pinion)? I did try to put the yoke (old) on the old Pinion and it went 3/4 of the way on but still didn't slide all the way. Now I know it didn't shrink, but am I missing something. I put a lot of umph on the nut and it just won't make it "slide" on. Also - end play for the yoke - anyone know now much it should be or just set with pre-load?

thanks
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #43
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

I'd help but don't have the knowledge. Someone will chime in I'm sure.

We need ratmonkey...RIP
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #44
Rmvr53
1998 ZJ 

got the yoke on - put it back on the old pinion in a different position then gave it a good whack - drove it on. Took it off and it went right on the new pinion. Plan is currently to set preload and not worry about actual torque although I have seen a few posts in other locations on the forum about 180-220 ftlb. Working on setting carrier bearings now - done screwed up one bearing not looking forward to doing it again...
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #45
Rmvr53
1998 ZJ 

finished -

used 3rd member from junkyard - $60 (actually only used the R&P)
new pinion seal - $ 4
new pinion nut - $ 4
new dif seal - $ 6

misc costs -
new inch-pound torque wrench that would read under 25in-pounds to set pinion preload - $40 (1/2 price sale at Sears)
new 1/2 shaft CV boot - $ 9
lube - $ 5
4 new tires that all match - $436 (ouch)

total invested in Jeep so far - $564 - (can't complain since I only paid $800 for it!)

gleaning the minds of the people who take time to respond to posts - priceless

thanks all

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.