mist/smoke coming out of A/C Vents and Dash vents - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > mist/smoke coming out of A/C Vents and Dash vents

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 07-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
scambi

mist/smoke coming out of A/C Vents and Dash vents

Hi,

Couple of things happening to my car, but this most recent one needs helpful advice. My heater core is not working, so heater/defroster not working. That's ok and now I find antifreeze leaking onto passenger floor board which I am fixing by clamping some hoses together. But here's the latest thing that happened today and not sure if it's related to above problems.

Had a/c on in recycled air position and noticed smoke/mist comning out of driver's side vent. Played with putting a/c on different position (air coming from outside). Smoke stopped. Turned it back to recycling position and it started again, so I shut the a/c completely. Smoke/Mist stopped, but then got on fwy and noticed that same smoke/mist coming out of vents where defroster air normally comes out of.

Is it ok to drive car? Does it need to be fixed. Is smoke/mist toxic once coming into car through vents. If it is connected to a heater core problem, can I drive car anyhow with a/c on? And what if a/c is off and smoke still coming through?

OK thanks
A LOT!!!!! !

This happened once before but I played around with it, stopped using it for a while and went to recycled air position and it stopped doing it. Anyhow thanks and if anyone has guidance for me.

Last edited by scambi; 07-17-2009 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: forgot to add some stuff and questions
scambi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scambi View Post
Hi,

Couple of things happening to my car, but this most recent one needs helpful advice. My heater core is not working, so heater/defroster not working. That's ok and now I find antifreeze leaking onto passenger floor board which I am fixing by clamping some hoses together. But here's the latest thing that happened today and not sure if it's related to above problems.

Had a/c on in recycled air position and noticed smoke/mist comning out of driver's side vent. Played with putting a/c on different position (air coming from outside). Smoke stopped. Turned it back to recycling position and it started again, so I shut the a/c completely. Smoke/Mist stopped, but then got on fwy and noticed that same smoke/mist coming out of vents where defroster air normally comes out of.

Is it ok to drive car? Does it need to be fixed. Is smoke/mist toxic once coming into car through vents. If it is connected to a heater core problem, can I drive car anyhow with a/c on? And what if a/c is off and smoke still coming through?

OK thanks
A LOT!!!!! !

This happened once before but I played around with it, stopped using it for a while and went to recycled air position and it stopped doing it. Anyhow thanks and if anyone has guidance for me.

Does it Smell Sweet? If it's smelling sweet your Heater core is leaking

Check passenger side floor board see if it's wet.

if your a/c evaporator is broke what your seeing is the Freon releasing Which is bad btw. Freon Displaces Oxygen
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

at least if it's freon it will leak out relatively quickly.

Motorcycle Repair in Denverhttp://www.wellsmoto.com
kwellzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
scambi

How do I check to see if it's Freon? And if it is and I keep windows rolled down, will this be ok (at least as a temp fix?)
Unread 07-17-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
Turbonut

Just moisture.
Many years ago I purchased a car that the fellow had the A/c system removed. Replaced everything and took the car out on a nice warm day. About 10 miles from the house there was a smoke screen coming from the vents. After I got home I installed a evap freeze thermostat and the car was fine for the next 3 years, then it was sold.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
BLKSVT
2004 WJ 

heater core is gone hence the coolant in the floor board and evap on the a/c is bad. That smoky mist you see will actually feel oily to the touch.(freon)
BLKSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
deltaredneck
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep Heater Core Is Bad.
deltaredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
scambi

mist/smoke coming out of A/C Vents and Dash vents

Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciated. Some are saying FREON, some are saying mist. Which one do we think it is and is it OK to drive car if this happens.....without pulling dash and fixing it all?

Again,

Thanks Fellow Grand cherokeers!!!!
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Turbonut

Well, if you bypass the heater core and still get the mist, it ain't the heater core. You won't be able to touch the R134 gas, and it won't hurt to drive the Jeep.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
AL04WJ
2004 WJ 

I get a mist/fog out of my vent sometimes, but its only after I've had the AC running while its raining/just rained, then I shut the ac off for a while then turn it back on.(fan running the whole time just ac button turned off and on) I always assumed it was just moisture.
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my a/c just blew some smoke(mist from the drivers vent this weekend also..my heater core is not bad as it dosent use any water..for the past few months my a/c pressure switch has been bad so i used a paper clip to bypass the switch so the air will still work..
now the a/c dosent kick on and off like its supposed to so every 15 minutes or so i switch from regular a/c to vent and when im in the woods i forget to do it at times and noticed its because im going so slow that if frezzes up..so im thinking when it did this the other day it was just froze up a little from the bad pressure switch and running constantly..and it wouldnt blow with much pressure..so i turned it off for a few minutes and when i turned it back on it was fine again..
i think it was just froze up and blowing moisture because of that..no problems since...i do need to replace the pressure switch soon tho..

also,,my pass floor leaks from condensation on the box under the dash? and ive cleaned everything like jf search said..and my drain hose is pre bent w/elbow from the factory...do i still need to extend the elbow lower to fix this?
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
Well, if you bypass the heater core and still get the mist, it ain't the heater core. You won't be able to touch the R134 gas, and it won't hurt to drive the Jeep.
ding ding ding you would have to have a hell of a leak to see mist, and it wouldn't continue if it was 134A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.