missing caliper spring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > missing caliper spring

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Peanut56
1999 WJ 

missing caliper spring

So I posted a couple months ago about replacing the front brakes on my 1999 WJ. Now I finally have all my parts and my manuals, and what I see on my brake assembly is not the same as what I see in the manuals. The first thing I'm supposed to do is pry off the caliper spring, but I don't see anything on my brakes that looks like the picture in the manuals. Here's a picture of my brake assembly; is that thing I've got circled the caliper spring? I think it's part of the outboard pad, but I'm not sure. Could my caliper spring have come off somehow?

Thanks for helping!
--Laura

Peanut56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Steve01WJ
2005 WK 

Welcomr to the forum! The pic is very small...but to me it looks like you are missing the spring. You can get them at your auto parts store for not too much. Im thinking its rather good to have em in there. Good luck with the brakes...they are very easy once you get the hang of it.

05 WK 5.7 Limited QD2
Steve01WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Looks like your front calipers have been upgraded from the Teves (that what's in your manuals) to the Akebono calipers. Akebono front calipers were installed on WJs made after May, 2002. You have a better caliper, but they are a little different and don't have the caliper spring. As you remove the pads, pay attention to how the pads are mounted to the calipers and notice how the flat metal springs fit. Do only one wheel at a time so that you can use the other wheel as a guide for putting things back together. You will need to get a different set of pads so they will fit the Akebono calipers. The rotors are the same for both caliper designs..
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Peanut56
1999 WJ 

Rock on, guys, thanks for the advice. I'll need to check these pads I got and see what kind they are; fortunately my current pads still have plenty of wear left in them. I'll post again soon and let you all know how it goes.
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

My point was that if you bought new pads for a '99 WJ, then they would be wrong because the upgraded calipers need pads for an '03 or '04. However, if you are going to reuse your present pads, they would be correct since they were bought to fit the Akebono calipers.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Peanut56
1999 WJ 

Yep, that's what I'm noticing. I'm going to stick with just replacing the rotors for now, and work out the pad issue later.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.