Misfire on every cylinder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Misfire on every cylinder?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #1
f1rz06

Misfire on every cylinder?

Help please....

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee V8 and it's showing misfires on all 8 cylinders, well it has a code for misfire on each of them. There is another code that is thrown which is some sort of speed sensor but the speedo functions normally. These problems both seem to have arisen around the same time.

Since they have come the car will not shift into OD 95% of the time and the shifts have become very harsh.

Now, I'm a Chevy guy myself but this seems to me like Chrysler's version of Chevy's "limp home" mode where the car will not shift into OD if it thinks it has a catalyst damaging code, which a misfire counts as.

Any thoughts?

f1rz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
akshunj

Crankshaft Speed/Velocity Sensor

If you're misfiring on ALL cylinders I would look at the crankshaft velocity sensor. It may be called a crankshaft position sensor on a Jeep. That is the speed sensor you are refering to.

The computer detects the velocity of the crankshaft by the frequency this sensor spits out. If a cylinder misfires, the frequency decreases as that cylinder becomes a drag on the crankshaft due to the lack of force provided by the fire stroke, slowing things down.

If you were misfiring on every cylinder the Jeep would barely run and idle like complete crap. Let me know how it turns out.

Rick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rz06
Help please....

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee V8 and it's showing misfires on all 8 cylinders, well it has a code for misfire on each of them. There is another code that is thrown which is some sort of speed sensor but the speedo functions normally. These problems both seem to have arisen around the same time.

Since they have come the car will not shift into OD 95% of the time and the shifts have become very harsh.

Now, I'm a Chevy guy myself but this seems to me like Chrysler's version of Chevy's "limp home" mode where the car will not shift into OD if it thinks it has a catalyst damaging code, which a misfire counts as.

Any thoughts?
akshunj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.