Might be electrical problem? fuel pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Might be electrical problem? fuel pump?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 06-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Airman_G
1996 ZJ 

Might be electrical problem? fuel pump?

ok so this past monday i was picking my gf up from work wen i hit a bump or dip. the radio and stuff cut off for a minute and then came back on. but my jeep had shut comepletly off. i was able to pull into a gas station. luckaily there was a machanic there. i guess i wasnt geting any fuel cuz the guage said i had no gas even tho i had just put some in. come to find out the fuse for the fuel pump had gone out. so we just replaced it and it started up in a jiffy. well yesterday the same senerio, picking up gf from work and the same **** happens! had to get towed to a shop. they couldnt figure out wat was cuasing the problem. they drove it around and nothing happend. they think its something electrical. they advised me if it happend again to either take it to the dealer or go to a special shop. could it be something to do with the fuel pump? has anyone every had a similar situation or may have any ideas? 1996, Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo,4x4 6 cyl

Airman_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
davemcd
1998 ZJ 

Inspect the wires that lead to and from the fuel pump. Make sure there aren't any loose connections.

Second, try replacing the fuel pump relay. It's located under the hood, behind the battery in the power distribution center. I'm fairly certain they're cheap to replace, so it's worth a shot.

Next up try replacing the ASD (automatic shutdown) relay. When this relay shorts out, the engine can stall or not start. It might be triggered by the fuel pump (a short perhaps) also...

So, lastly, then we get to the fuel pump itself, that's probably crapping out somewhere. That's a costly part, so, if it gets to that stop there and take it to a real shop to diagnose it.

There might be other reasons, but this comes up first in my head.
davemcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Airman_G
1996 ZJ 

cool thx for the help! i think it may have to do with the air condition now?.. both times it happend i had turned the air on. i drove it few days without it and nothing happend.

yesterday i had turned it on and sure enough it did it again.. replaced the fuse and started right up. could there be a leak or something thts cuasing the shortage?
Airman_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
Elkaholic
NMElkaholic

1998 ZJ 

Thanx for the response, Airman G is my son and If I was close to his base I would be over there helping him.

troubelshooting from a long ways a way can be very hard!! any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Airman....., davemcd hit it.. trace those wires to make sure they are not pinched or bare wire touching metal.. also check your ground to your battery and make sure it is tight., a bad ground can cause all kinds of issues..
98 5.9, Platinum 4.5 RE SF all adjustable arms, RE Monotube Shocks, Carolina front drive shaft, Pro Comp Extream Alloys Stryker's, 285/75/16 BFG's KM2's,Stage 1 rock sliders,Confer roof rack,Warn XD9000i winch, 3" Kolak exhaust system, Addco front swaybar and lot's more goodies.. 79 CJ5 AMC 304 33x12.5 Pro Comp X-tream mud tires on 15x12 MT classics. 3" lift.
Elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The fuel pump has a dedicated fuse so it may just be a coincidence about the AC.

Are you sure it's fuse 16 that blowing and not fuse 20

If you want to shake the fuel pump wire, from the fuel pump relay in PDC, the wire travels around the front of the engine, down the drivers fender, through the firewall and to a gray plug under the dash above the left foot of the driver. It will be a dark green and white wire. From there it goes down the drivers side floor along the trim then under the back seat and out to the undercarriage.

Last edited by ZeeJay1997; 07-06-2010 at 05:04 AM..
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical , fuel pump , fuses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.