Mice in my ZJ - How do they get in??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mice in my ZJ - How do they get in???

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Mice in my ZJ - How do they get in???

Does anyone know how mice get inside of a ZJ? The 96 I had and now my 98 both let mice in somehow. I'm not bringing them in but they keep showing up.

Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
vlackattack
1997 ZJ 

Maybe they're getting in through the firewall? Along a hose for the heater core or something... That's all I can think of... Unless there's a hole in your floor somewhere?
vlackattack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Only ways through the firewall are pretty damn small for a mouse, the wires or hoses would have to be chewed through to let them in.

I wonder if they can work their way through the hvac?
Unread 03-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
zjnovroom
1995 ZJ 

The ZJ im driving now had all kinds of hoses and rubber pieces under the hood chewed up by what im assuming are rats from prolonged sitting when i got it. I dont think any made it inside though.

Now sugar ants are another story. I guess they like the taste of armor all.
zjnovroom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

Mice can get through very small openings. Their skeletons collapse (ribs fold) and I've heard it said that their skulls flex. I saw one, a big fat one, run through a gap in the baseboard boards. I checked it and 3 stacked quarters wouldn't go in it. He ran straight at it and disappeared, didn't even seem to slow down. There was nothing around it, so unless he went into hyperspeed, too fast for me to see, that had to be where he went.

I imagine they can get in through the firewall or around the shifter or possibly around the doors or rear hatch.
RedRiverT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I once found a mummified mouse inside my shifter console. As near as I can tell mice are able to pass through solid barriers.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 12:20 AM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

^ Agree, and if a mouse wants in he'll get in! MurdaJs was pretty close and they can squeeze right through the HVAC box drain hose or get in there elsewhere. Ever turn you blower motor on high and have a bunch of small seeds/nuts hit you in the face! Lol.

I live in the woods and the only rodent I don't have are rats because the habitat isn't right. The groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks and mice have done $5,000 worth of damage to my Jeeps over the past 7 years! Luckily my insurance covers all critter damage with no deductible. I've had to cover about every hose and wire with convoluted tubing then wrapped with electrical tape.

It doesn't help on these ZJ's they used a sugar-based adhesive on the friction tape on the wire harnesses which draws the rodents to wiring. Often this is the first place to look and you'll see threads torn off the tape if you have them. They don't like the smell/taste of a good electrical tape like "scotch 33" so you may want to cover the friction tape with it.

While I used to have big rat snap traps and smaller mouse snap traps around the engine compartments normally I just caught hair in them. A much better method is a mouse or rat electrocution trap! Just bait it with a little peanut butter and zap! Don't even have to handle them and just dump them out of the trap. While a little pricey well worth it and doesn't have the hazards/stink if using rodent poison.

Here's the mouse electrocution trap for $20 & they even have gift wrapping. Lol.
http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Electro...nic+mouse+trap

I went with the larger rat trap which will also take out a squirrel. Not something you'd want to leave out in the open outdoors for a cat/pet to stick there head in. I took out 4 mice in my basement in 24 hours with this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Electro...ronic+rat+trap

They also sell the above traps at the big box stores like Home Depot & Lowes.

Since I park my Jeeps on gravel another thing I do is dump all our old coffee grounds under and around them. Rodents don't like the smell of coffee grounds.

I've used some of those pricy sprinkle/spray rodent repellents but don't think they're worth the money. Sprayed it on my underhood insulation and they still tore it to sheds! Plus if I have to lay under my Jeeps I don't want my eyes burning from the capsaicin they put in it which is the main ingredient in pepper spray/mace.

Not sure how effective it is but in each engine compartment I have a packet of the below "Fresh Cab" rodent repellent stuffed behind something like the PDC between the inner fender. Too strong of a smell at first to put in the interior.

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Rode...dent+repellent

I know moth balls are a repellent but I can't stand the smell of them!

It's a war, I'd put one of the electric mouse traps on the floor, and good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
offroader613
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post

Not sure how effective it is but in each engine compartment I have a packet of the below "Fresh Cab" rodent repellent stuffed behind something like the PDC between the inner fender. Too strong of a smell at first to put in the interior.

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Rode...dent+repellent
They seem to work pretty well in my neck of the woods, farmers around here use them in all their equipment since it usually sits idle for months at a time in a barn or quonset.
Unread 03-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
LowBudgetZJ
1998 ZJ 

They can get in the ZJ, ask me how I know. I've heard of using liquid smoke spray, they will think the thing is on fire and vacate the area. But so will everyone that sits in your Jeep. I use it under my house and it works well.
Unread 03-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
monte350
1997 ZJ 

I have had good luck with putting small bags of cloves around the engine bay and on the front seats when I store my car for the winter. I store it outside so mice have previously been problematic, but they haven't touched it since using the cloves. plus the car smells like a fresh baked ham all summer long.
monte350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
They seem to work pretty well in my neck of the woods, farmers around here use them in all their equipment since it usually sits idle for months at a time in a barn or quonset.
That's good to know 'Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent" repellent is effective! I'm also in a farming area and know farmers tend not to waste their hard-earned money on things which don't work!

I learned about 'Fresh Cab' here from some gal who bought a ZJ which was a real mess from nesting rats inside. Believe her user name was Bostonchick and she kept the rats at bay using it.

Interesting about the liquid smoke and cloves for repelling rodents.

Unread 03-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Great responses. Funny too. I was hoping someone would say "oh, theres a hole near the..." but this is much better. Big, fat mouse disappearing in a crack 3 quarters won't fit in, electrocution, baked ham...hilarious.

We live on a ranch and years ago our black Lab was walking around with a funny look on his face and a tail protruding from his lips. He was just gumming it and my wife pried open his jaws and found a tiny mouse. She put it in a cage, named him and had him as a pet for several years. I guess they only live a month or two in the wild around here. Anyway, he was so fast, you could blink while looking at him and after blinking he could be on the other side of his cage. Ridiculously fast.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #13
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjnovroom View Post
The ZJ im driving now had all kinds of hoses and rubber pieces under the hood chewed up by what im assuming are rats from prolonged sitting when i got it. I dont think any made it inside though.

Now sugar ants are another story. I guess they like the taste of armor all.
I'll give you a clue on the ants. The foam blocker pieces are shrunk. This allows dirt to collect beyond the fender liner into the lower fender. They will actually build a nest in the collected debri. I was amazed at that when I finally tracked them down.
Unread 03-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #14
Taz360ZJ

they got in my '93 base model through the foam barrier in the fire wall at the heater core. they actually chewed a non critical part of the HVAC box at the fire wall. We took the dash out and hvac apart and FULLY cleaned it. actually we cleaned every inch of the interior of that truck...literally. we double teamed the interior, I showed her how to operate the cordless impact, the drill, showed her where the fasteners were located. came apart nicely with two people. we threw away the console, the rear seats, the front seats, the carpet, the headliner, kept the interior panels. I tackled the HVAC box myself and rebuilt it (thanks coralman for the PN's....however some of the parts in the early ZJ's used Limited HVAC parts believe it or not, but were easily modified to fit the base model manual HVAC). I found 1/4" of mouse chit in the squirrel cage. it was nasty. I threw away the 1993 motor assy, and installed the fan assy from the 1998 5.9 Limited I stripped the interior from (fits all years 1993-1998 from SE stripped down base model to the 5.9 Limited), even installed the heater core from the 5.9 too since it looked great, and the heater worked awesome in it. Anyway yeah, found NOTHING in the interior, just damaged stuff, replaced everything with full 5.9 interior, and another 1993 headliner. I took the privilege of wiring up and custom looming the power heated stuff myself ran all of that to the truck J box and made the OEM power circuit work that wasn't there. So the 1993 base model has fully functional 1998 5.9 interior....power heated leather seats, rear 5.9 seats, 5.9 vanity's, 5.9 console, 5.9 carpet we dropped off that was professionally steam cleaned by a friend that does auto detailing.

If you have a mouse damaged vehicle, be careful. especially if it has been sitting for a long time like my '93 was. Before I could even start it up I've had to repair the under seat fuel pump wiring, the temp sensor harness @ the t-stat (4.0L), the LF turn signal/park light harness (junk yard plug n play from a '95), power wire at the front wiper harness to the motor (soldered a chunk on), surprisingly no dash wiring, HVAC, or looms were chewed through.
Taz360ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 12:30 AM   #15
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan2 View Post
Great responses. Funny too. I was hoping someone would say "oh, theres a hole near the..." but this is much better. Big, fat mouse disappearing in a crack 3 quarters won't fit in, electrocution, baked ham...hilarious.

We live on a ranch and years ago our black Lab was walking around with a funny look on his face and a tail protruding from his lips. He was just gumming it and my wife pried open his jaws and found a tiny mouse. She put it in a cage, named him and had him as a pet for several years. I guess they only live a month or two in the wild around here. Anyway, he was so fast, you could blink while looking at him and after blinking he could be on the other side of his cage. Ridiculously fast.

Lol about the mouse tail sticking out of your dog's lips your wife turned the mouse into a pet!

I remember our cat dropping an unharmed chipmunk on the kitchen floor right next to my wife. It started running in circles around her while she jumped up on a chair then the kitchen table screaming the whole time! Funnier than heck and wish I would have had a video camera!

One time I was checking my transfer case fluid and must have been under my ZJ banging on other things for about 20 min. Decided I better check the trans fluid and when I opened the hood a huge 20lb groundhog jumped off the top of the engine while running into the woods! He was up there the whole time quiet as a mouse with me under it!

I'd have to agree with Taz and watching out if you have rodents chewing on your Jeeps. Last year I decided to run an errand in my 93 XJ. Just at evening rush hour I came to a light in a small town and hit the brake. The pedal went clear to the floor and I could hear the brake fluid gushing out of the right front wheel area. Pulled the ebrake quickly and made it over to the curb.

Here a squirrel had taken a big bite of rubber out of my caliper hose while the hose decided to let go while I was driving it. Luckily it's a 5-speed where I limped 5 miles home just downshifting and using the ebrake to stop.

Not a rodent problem but I also had a wren build a moss nest on top of my intake. Was driving down the road when smoke started pouring out of the hood when the nest caught fire burning up my whole fuel injector wire harness. Nice...

W/o a doubt the squirrels are the most damaging creature around here and they don't call them bushy-tailed rats for nothin'!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.