Meter and Tools Rec - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Meter and Tools Rec

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

Meter and Tools Rec

Hey. New to the Forum, Actually helping out a friend with her 5.9.
Was hoping this community would be able to help me out with some recs.
Need to fix the dreaded parasitic drain on her ZJ and fix the VIC. Going to tackle those two problems first then see what else I'm going to have to deal with.
Wanted to know if anyone had any recs on getting a decent inexpensive Multimeter and Soldering Iron. After reading through the threads, I figured I would ask so I can get what others recommend. Also if there is anything else I should just plan to buy before diving into this beast.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

charsawbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Sears has Craftsman multimeters for around $25-$30 that are good, I have three; one in my apartment, one in the Jeep, one at my parents garage. They also make good soldering irons but I'd stick with a Weller. Have to balance wattage with intended use. I have a small soldering iron for little circuits and a larger one for things that need more heat and to use as a plastic welder with a flat tip. I also have a soldering gun for general wiring. It doesn't stay hot so it's safer.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the info. Always liked craftsman but never think about going to sears anymore. I'll check it out tomorrow. The soldering iron I need is for the circuit board on the VIC. Any recs on brands to get? I'll order off amazon.
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

Also I assume getting an auto ranging meter will be best to use for other projects.
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
charsawbis
1998 ZJ 

Ordered a mastech multimeter and a Weller soldering iron. Thanks for the recs!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.