metal on metal noise coming from rear right wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > metal on metal noise coming from rear right wheel

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
jeepguy12
1997 ZJ 

metal on metal noise coming from rear right wheel

Hi,
I have a 97 grand cherokee v8 4x4 all time with rear dana 44 axles (all stock). I have recently replaced my rear axle bearings and oil seals along with the right rear axle. The axles are held on by the c clamps with the spider gears. I replaced the spiders gears also. Because one was somewhat chipped and I replaced the axle because it was scarred and had a burned cut into it, the size of the bearing. I replaced all of this because it had been making a constant low grind noise for a long time. Then this year it statred to make a loud grind and bumping noise while turning left only. But that is why I replaced all that stuff to correct that noise. Well, It did fix the bearing grind noise the low grade constant grind. But I have a much worse one now. When turning left only I get a metal on metal noise that is not constantly grinding but making the grind like it is hitting something. But it doesnt make the noise going less than 5 mph. Also if I accelerate hard and turn hard no noise. I took apart the rear end ( NOT THE DIFFERENTIAL ITSELF!!!) the axles and spider gears because I have an open diff not a limited slip. And I found no marks no cuts but I did find some sparkles in the fluid. the only thing that I found that looked like it had been grinding was the c clamps because they were yellow and now they are shiny metal. I checked the bearing and made sure they were indeed flush in the axle housing. The only other thing that is making me wonder is maybe it could be the brakes or brake shroud. or e brake. The brake pads look good still but the ebrake has been getting stuck because I couldnt put the rotor back on and had to push the ebrake back enough to put it on. And I never use the ebrake so this was puzzleing. And now the ebrake doesnt work at all. Anyhelp would be much appreciated. If you need more details or something let me know please. I am so frustrated with this buying new parts to fix it and I get a worse noise. With no apparent cause. I have been looking all over it. Other than the noise left it drives straight fine and right fine. Thanks

jeepguy12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
ISUzj
2005 WK 

You sound like me... lets coberate... I too have a noise that only happens where there is an abnormal force (potholes, bumps, or change in wheel angle)

I am in the exact situation, I have jacked it up and I can physically move the right wheel in and out a little (seems more exsessive than normal) and driving down the road I hear a sound that sounds like a clap, or like drum on hub... lugnuts are bubba tight, german tight and even torqued to spec. but driving straight on a good road i hear nothing at all.

i think I see the drum move in and out with the axle, I was just in the Diff and there was no shavings in it as well as nothing seemed awry in there. I will try my e-brake when I get home to see if it works and get back to you.

Somebody will ask, so have you gotten underthere and just shook things (shocks, exhaust, control arms, swaybar and connections) and listened for noises?

I feel your pain
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
jeepguy12
1997 ZJ 

I have a strange feeling it has to do with brakes or something because my other car was making a similiar but different noise turning left only and it turned out to be no brake pads left on the rear tires. Even though they were supposed to be new.
Unread 06-17-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Did you properly shim your spider gears to set backlash? They don't just pop in with no set up.

I would also check the dust shield and for loose ebrake parts.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
ISUzj
2005 WK 

I really agree, I have my doubts on the Spider, I have drum breaks, and I don't think they have been replaced in a while (pads) supposedly the drums were turned about a month ago can you take a pic of your brakes on the side? I will try to do the same...

OBTW my parking brake works
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank

Last edited by ISUzj; 06-17-2010 at 11:14 AM..
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
jeepguy12
1997 ZJ 

I didnt know that. I thought they just slid in place because thats what I have been doing. Just put them on top and bottom and rotated the the gears on the axle and the spider gears just turned into place and the pinion shaft sliped right through and they turn fine no hiccups. I will definately check for loose ebrake stuff. Im thinking about just taking the right rear ebrake off and drivine it around to see if that was the noise. I have rear disc brakes with a drum ebrake. So its gonna look different but if its the same noise then it probably has something to do with the drum e brake and in your case your actual brakes.
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

So you were wondering what the shims behind your old gears were for right?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
jeepguy12
1997 ZJ 

O those are shims, no they went behind the gears easily. I knew how everything was supposed to fit because I took it apart.
Unread 06-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
jeepguy12
1997 ZJ 

I fixed the problem. My thought about it being the ebrake was partially right. I took it completly off and drove around no noise. So I concluded it was the brake dust sheild making the noise being caused by the ebrake moving the rotor onto it. So I bent the sheild back more than it was and no more noise.
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Oh good, I was about to hop on and tell you it can't be driveline, I just drove 800 miles this weekend, and the whole way i never heard a sound on the highway or interstate and so I concluded that it has to be the brake set-up or the suspension...so I am going to re-bushing my swaybar and start going through the suspension peices one-by-one....

so once again, as I have been told and many others here have. Check all suspension components, and if it doesn't seem loose when you move it, its because you don't make the same forces a jeep does turing corners or going up and down bumps.

Tags
rear axle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.