Metal fragment stuck to d30 fill plug, what should I do? Questions inside. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Metal fragment stuck to d30 fill plug, what should I do? Questions inside.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
phant0omx
2012 WK 

Metal fragment stuck to d30 fill plug, what should I do? Questions inside.

So, my front diff, D30, has been leaking out the side for several months now as the inner axle seal needs replacing. I go to fill it up and I find a metal shaving/fragment on the magnetic fill plug.

The Jeep is a 2000 WJ with quadra drive.

1. What should I look at?
2. What can I expect in terms of replacing things? Rebuild needed?
3. How does this effect quadra drive down the road as I want to keep it.
4. Should I stop driving the Jeep and get it looked at or repaired asap?

I didn't have the time to pop the diff cover so I'm kind of asking as a preliminary to when I can pop the cover off and take a look at the gears and so forth. I'm not well versed in the innards of the D30/quadra drive either...

I have ordered 4.56 gears for my WJ from Kolak, but the gears have been backordered/out of stock for 5 months now and I have no idea as to when the gears will be restocked.

What do I do? Anything to add?

The picture of the metal.

phant0omx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
skiebuster
2004 WJ 

Looks like a spacer.

does that front axle got a loud whine ?
skiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
phant0omx
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiebuster View Post
Looks like a spacer.

does that front axle got a loud whine ?
Yes, I would say it has a loud whine. Like a rough loud whine, if that makes any sense.
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
skiebuster
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant0omx View Post
Yes, I would say it has a loud whine. Like a rough loud whine, if that makes any sense.
My rear end in my 98 Limited with the 35 had a bad spacer, cause the axle to move back and forth and cause it to wine big time. I could turn my steering a little to the left, in a back and forth motion, and it would be louder turning it to the left than to the right while going down the highway.

Luckily, my father had a xtra rear end from 1 that had bad gears and we was able to use the spacers from it to get it correct.

Good luck, I know they can be a pain. But not to costly to repair if you have any knowledge on axles.
skiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
phant0omx
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiebuster View Post
My rear end in my 98 Limited with the 35 had a bad spacer, cause the axle to move back and forth and cause it to wine big time. I could turn my steering a little to the left, in a back and forth motion, and it would be louder turning it to the left than to the right while going down the highway.

Luckily, my father had a xtra rear end from 1 that had bad gears and we was able to use the spacers from it to get it correct.

Good luck, I know they can be a pain. But not to costly to repair if you have any knowledge on axles.
Thanks for the input. I don't know much about gears, so this will have to be taken to a shop to handle.

Any others have any input?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.