Metal fragment stuck to d30 fill plug, what should I do? Questions inside. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Metal fragment stuck to d30 fill plug, what should I do? Questions inside.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Reply
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
phant0omx
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 668
Metal fragment stuck to d30 fill plug, what should I do? Questions inside.

So, my front diff, D30, has been leaking out the side for several months now as the inner axle seal needs replacing. I go to fill it up and I find a metal shaving/fragment on the magnetic fill plug.

The Jeep is a 2000 WJ with quadra drive.

1. What should I look at?
2. What can I expect in terms of replacing things? Rebuild needed?
3. How does this effect quadra drive down the road as I want to keep it.
4. Should I stop driving the Jeep and get it looked at or repaired asap?

I didn't have the time to pop the diff cover so I'm kind of asking as a preliminary to when I can pop the cover off and take a look at the gears and so forth. I'm not well versed in the innards of the D30/quadra drive either...

I have ordered 4.56 gears for my WJ from Kolak, but the gears have been backordered/out of stock for 5 months now and I have no idea as to when the gears will be restocked.

What do I do? Anything to add?

The picture of the metal.


phant0omx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
skiebuster
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Argos, Indiana
Posts: 140
Looks like a spacer.

does that front axle got a loud whine ?
skiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
phant0omx
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiebuster View Post
Looks like a spacer.

does that front axle got a loud whine ?
Yes, I would say it has a loud whine. Like a rough loud whine, if that makes any sense.
phant0omx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
skiebuster
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Argos, Indiana
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by phant0omx View Post
Yes, I would say it has a loud whine. Like a rough loud whine, if that makes any sense.
My rear end in my 98 Limited with the 35 had a bad spacer, cause the axle to move back and forth and cause it to wine big time. I could turn my steering a little to the left, in a back and forth motion, and it would be louder turning it to the left than to the right while going down the highway.

Luckily, my father had a xtra rear end from 1 that had bad gears and we was able to use the spacers from it to get it correct.

Good luck, I know they can be a pain. But not to costly to repair if you have any knowledge on axles.
skiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
phant0omx
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiebuster View Post
My rear end in my 98 Limited with the 35 had a bad spacer, cause the axle to move back and forth and cause it to wine big time. I could turn my steering a little to the left, in a back and forth motion, and it would be louder turning it to the left than to the right while going down the highway.

Luckily, my father had a xtra rear end from 1 that had bad gears and we was able to use the spacers from it to get it correct.

Good luck, I know they can be a pain. But not to costly to repair if you have any knowledge on axles.
Thanks for the input. I don't know much about gears, so this will have to be taken to a shop to handle.

Any others have any input?
phant0omx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.