Mega Fuse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mega Fuse

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 07-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
cappedup
1996 ZJ 

Mega Fuse

I got a printed note in the box my new starter came in, which mentioned changing the Mega Fuse out for something else.

1, That the heck is a Mega Fuse!?

2, Mine has been removed and the two wires just bolted together.

3, Is this a problem/thing i should be worried/doing something about.

cheers.

cappedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
cappedup
1996 ZJ 

Note that came with my recon starter motor.

So the previous owner has taken out whatever was under that cover and bolted the two plates together. The 'fuse' seems to go between the alternator and battery.
What's the fuse for?
Should I be thinking about putting something in there that is a bit more 'fuse like'?

Cheers for the thoghts.

cappedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
gomes512
1994 ZJ 

According to that paper you posted the mega was replaced with a fusible link. I don't know if you have one by looking at your pics but it doesn't look like it. They are there to blow when there is tremendous draw on the alternator, usually rated slightly above the alternators max output. This prevents duty cycles over 100% which as you can imagine leads to a dead alternator fast.

The fusible link melts when the rated load is exceeded and in this case was more problem free when compared to the mega. I'm assuming the reason Chrysler did away with the mega fuse was do to fatigue problems. I know overtime they may sometimes crack (not due to overload) and cause strange hard to diagnose intermittent problems.

I'd install a mega fuse just to be on the safe side. A common one in many places is the 32v 175a. Or perhaps you can get a cheap fusible link from the dealer.
gomes512 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.