Mechanical Fan Swap on 5.9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Mechanical Fan Swap on 5.9

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
1998zj59
1998 ZJ 

Mechanical Fan Swap on 5.9

So i have not posted in awhile. I have not been driving or working on my jeep for awhile but i am now getting it ready for summer. since I've had my 5.9 i have replaced headlight, turn signals and fog light lenses, blacked out the tail lights, put a magnaflow cat and flowmaster super 44 muffler on, 180* thermostat and throttle body spacer, but just the other day i charged up the a/c at work and with the a/c on it builds up way too much pressure on the high side it maxes out the gauge at like 450-500 psi so the blow off valve keeps opening up. found out the rad fan is not running (which would also explain why it gets hot when i beat on it a lil) tapped the fan motor and it attempts to turn at about 100 rpm lol so anyone ever try to find a electric fan for a 5.9 lol so i turned to you guys on the forum and i read about the taurus fans and other options but im not a fan of swapping parts from completely different cars so i went with the mechanical fan swap off a 5.2. i got a used fan and shroud for 75 bucks from a local yard put it all on today wow very easy swap, swapped the shroud brackets and everything cleaned it all up. if you didn't know it was suppose to have a electric fan you would never notice anything was changed and now it actually pulls air threw the rad lol took it for a drive and i didn't notice any power loss what so ever i fully recommend this swap (especially if you want the extra towing capacity) and thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction

1998zj59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Nickell80
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I never thought about that situation and somebody thinking about doing a M(?) fan swap.

That's really cool though.

I wish there was a way for the ZJ's to have both an electric and mechanical fan together like the XJ's.
Just from driving my work vans where we sit idle with A/C running for a good amount of time, I realized how much of a difference it makes having something to push the extra air (so I don't have to keep giving it gas) for the ac to get colder.
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
98mopar
1998 ZJ 

I read on a TSB that the 5.9 has a 5000 lb towing capacity, and it is because of the electric fan. And it says on the TSB it can be swapped over with a clutch fan and then the 5.9 will have a 6500 lb towing capacity, just like the 5.2
98mopar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj59 View Post
So i have not posted in awhile. I have not been driving or working on my jeep for awhile but i am now getting it ready for summer. since I've had my 5.9 i have replaced headlight, turn signals and fog light lenses, blacked out the tail lights, put a magnaflow cat and flowmaster super 44 muffler on, 180* thermostat and throttle body spacer, but just the other day i charged up the a/c at work and with the a/c on it builds up way too much pressure on the high side it maxes out the gauge at like 450-500 psi so the blow off valve keeps opening up. found out the rad fan is not running (which would also explain why it gets hot when i beat on it a lil) tapped the fan motor and it attempts to turn at about 100 rpm lol so anyone ever try to find a electric fan for a 5.9 lol so i turned to you guys on the forum and i read about the taurus fans and other options but im not a fan of swapping parts from completely different cars so i went with the mechanical fan swap off a 5.2. i got a used fan and shroud for 75 bucks from a local yard put it all on today wow very easy swap, swapped the shroud brackets and everything cleaned it all up. if you didn't know it was suppose to have a electric fan you would never notice anything was changed and now it actually pulls air threw the rad lol took it for a drive and i didn't notice any power loss what so ever i fully recommend this swap (especially if you want the extra towing capacity) and thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction

The Ford fan is EXACTLY the same as the Jeep fan. Same part numbers, same, same, same. All your doing is losing power by switch to a manual fan.
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
gopherblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post
The Ford fan is EXACTLY the same as the Jeep fan. Same part numbers, same, same, same. All your doing is losing power by switch to a manual fan.
Yea but not much, and hes gaining cooler engine bay temp for towing and his other adventures which i think should be more important compared to the low hp loss
gopherblaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherblaster View Post
Yea but not much, and hes gaining cooler engine bay temp for towing and his other adventures which i think should be more important compared to the low hp loss

If your using the 5.9 ZJ for towing you need to retune the ecu for a lower timing advance.
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
onyx
1995 ZJ 

i had an extra m fan from my 5.2 and someone to me it would kill the radiator (not enough room they said so i used the taurus fan) works better that the original never get to 210 but whatever i hope i did the wireing right its the same as the orig right?
onyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
onyx
1995 ZJ 

told me sorry im on a phone
onyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

5.9 also doesnt have a aux cooler for the radiator. Thats another reason for the towing rating. Get a good aux cooler and i wouldnt think twice. The electric fan cools better then a mechanical fan anyway the problem is its just not on the all the time unless its really hot out.. this is one reason the 5.9 stays cooler then a 5.2 does
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
Newb1995jeepgc
1994 ZJ 

My 5.2 never gets hot... but one very hot day out when it was about 105 outside i left the jeep running in a parking lot for about 20 miniutes with the a/c on and it did get really hotter then it should. But the Efan on my grandmas tauras lets her car almost overheat quicker then mine did. So i will stay with the Mfan.

Also efans arent great in water. LOL
Newb1995jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.9l , fan , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.