Maybe a bad water pump???? ATC codes 23 & 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Maybe a bad water pump???? ATC codes 23 & 55

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
FucusJeep
1994 ZJ 

Maybe a bad water pump???? ATC codes 23 & 55

Hey everyobody, few issues just popped up after the weekend. It's a 94 ZJ 5.2 and I went camping over the weekend and when i came home sunday and started her up I got the "ER" flash on the climate control. So I did the diagnostic test and got codes 23 and 55. I've been reading different meanings on code 23 and I'm pretty sure 55 is the blend doors or something right??? I need some help with these codes please.

Also, I just noticed my temp gauge is maxed out as soon as I start the vehicle even when cold.

And finally when it was running I felt/squeezed my upper rad hose and it was hot but didnt feel like any coolant was running through it.

Please help me with this, I tried flushing my rad but no difference, in my mind it seems like the coolant just isn't being circulated so maybe a bad water pump? I've only owned the jeep for a year and half so im not sure if the water pump was ever checked or changed. I'm sure all of these symptoms are related because before the weekend it was running great except my heater was blowing barely warm air. Please Please help.

FucusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
jrollings
1995 ZJ 

Hey FucusJeep, if you do not feel much coolant circulating through the hose when you rev the engine, the pump may be bad. The other cause might be a bad thermostat that is not opening properly (remove and inspect the thermostat), or a clogged radiator.

Code 23 is the manifold Air temp thermistor. You should check your wires going to the sensor first then OHM test your sensor.
Member of the 638th ASB out of Lafayette, IN
91B All wheeled vehicle mechanic
88M Motor Transport Operator
jrollings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollings View Post
Hey FucusJeep, if you do not feel much coolant circulating through the hose when you rev the engine, the pump may be bad. The other cause might be a bad thermostat that is not opening properly (remove and inspect the thermostat), or a clogged radiator.

Code 23 is the manifold Air temp thermistor. You should check your wires going to the sensor first then OHM test your sensor.
You are thinking of the key flick CEL codes, the ATC codes have their own definitions. 23 and 55 are both related to the blend door travel range too small, so you have a problem with the blend door actuator. on the ATC systems, its not vacuum actuated like on laredos, each door has a servo.

So by the codes its not saying anything about the servo acting up, but its probably what happened to mine, in which the foam/plastic sheet that comprises the blend door broke off and was limiting the movement, eventually this will burn out the servo motor like it did with mine. The blend door is what controls the mix of air from the heater core side, and the evap coil side, controlling the temp. If there is a fault in it, it will open partially causing mildly warm air with the heat, and mildly cool air with the AC.

The coolant sensor problem is unrelated, there is no way the coolant temp can be maxed out as even when cold started, the problem will either be in the coolant temp sensor, or in the gauge itself.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
FucusJeep
1994 ZJ 

well i dont have an ohm tester which sucks so i cant really test electronic stuff my self. Is there any way to check the water pump without ripping everyhitng apart first?? It also sounds like there might be a small vacuuum leak somewhere but everything looks fine, i cant see any holes anywhere and its hard to pinpoint exactly where its coming from.

It just boggles me how all this can happen at once, atc codes 23 and 55, bad temp guage, probably bad water pump.
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Electrical problems suck.

I really doubt the water pump is actually bad, there's no solid reason to believe it is. You are not gonna be able to feel the coolant running through the hoses. At this point you need to find out whether the coolant temp sensor or the gauge itself is what's acting up.

Unread 07-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
FucusJeep
1994 ZJ 

ok so i grounded out the purple wire with yellow tracer, the alarm wire, about 2 weeks ago and it ran fine except the alarm never did disable, so i just left it grounded. Well today i figured i'd rip that ground wire out of there and BAM! everything works fine again. So this alarm thing really has me stumped on how to disable it. Its so annoying having to unlock/lock my hatch everytime I lock the Jeep up. So annoying I i pulled the fuse for my horn months and months ago

One more thing....when the jeeps running and you squeeze the upper rad hose shouldn't it atleast feel pressurized?? Mine is really easy to squeeze and just doesnt feel "pressurized" at all
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

If you have not replaced your radiator hoses like most people seem to neglect, they will be soft and you will be able to squeeze them fairly easily. If your gauge is working now, and its not overheating, then there is no cause alarm for thinking the water pump is bad.

Electrical problems in the gauges seem to make themselves very evident, they cause big, noticeable, sudden changes. So you should be able to distinguish between it actually overheating and the gauge acting up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.