Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Marbles Rolling

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  JeepnJeff72 
#1 ·
I have a 97 ZJ with the 5.2 L engine. Jeep has 211xxx miles on it but runs great. My issue with the Jeep is, as i'm driving it, it makes a roaring noise up front (sounds like large marbles or bearings rolling across the floor). My CV's do not pop or anything when turning sharp but i had it on the lift at the transmission shop the other day when i was getting the bands and TV pressure adjusted and i noticed that the left front CV boot was busted and there was a lot of grease on the lower control arm that had leaked out (a gob of grease).

Today i replaced the wheel hub assembly thinking that was the issue but it still makes the roar. This replacement was on the left side (drivers side). The wheel did not have any play in it at 12-6 o-clock, 3-9 o-clock but when i took the hub off i could actually hold the hub in my hands and act as if i was trying to break it into and you could see the hub had play in it.

Like i mentioned there are no clicks or pops up front when turning or any other time but as i'm driving down the highway i can slightly turn the wheel mainly to the left and the roar (or marbles) get louder and then when i straighten it back up it lessens but still there.

Another thing, i took it to get 4-wheel alignment today and they declined to align it because they said it needed the track bar replaced. Also said it needed new steering stabilizer.

Guys i could really use your input here. I do not wanna just replace parts until i have a new front-end. Thank you for viewing my post.

See less See more
#4 ·
You replaced the driver's side front hub assembly but also had a ripped or "busted" CV boot on the same side. I saw no mention of you fixing this boot or checking the CV axle joint for play when you had the old hub assembly out? With the grease slung out and water/dirt in there instead it can cause the CV joint to fail.

#5 ·
I worked on another car (if you can call a peugeot for a car) a long time ago that had a sound that was almost like a bad wheelbearing.
Turns out that it had a ripped boot and sometimes air managed to get in to it while driving, when that happend it made a howling sound that could be mistaken for a bad wheelbearing.
Replaced the CV joint and the sound was gone.

Not saying you have the same problem, but if your boot is bad you have to replace it anyway.

#9 ·
When you cut the wheel to the left while going down the road, you place a greater load on the right side. If you are hearing the noise when you turn left, then your right (passenger) side is the source of the noise. Replace the hub on the passenger side.

#10 ·
*Update* I replaced the right wheel hub this morning and the Jeep sounds normal now. So i have two new hubs up front and a new CV on the drivers side. All needed replacing but the right hub was the main culprit the entire time.

Now its on to replace the track bar and steering stabilizer.

#12 ·
I don't buy anymore parts from ebay being my last purchase was a fuel pump for a former WJ i had. The pump lasted less than a week. I think i purchased it from A1Auto or someone along those lines. I would be willing to purchase from a well known company from ebay but the thing is a lot of those sellers sell generic parts such as the pump i bought. They would not refund my money but did send me another pump and i was scared to install it so i gave it away.

#14 ·
I cant win for losing i think. I just replaced the two front hubs on this Jeep what like a month ago. It sounds like one has already went out. I purchased these from Oreilly's. Has anyone else had any premature failure from these in the past? I really cant determine which one it is but it sounds like it did before. If i cut the wheel either way while on the road it doesn't make any difference. Open to suggestions. Thank you for your time and viewing of my post.

#17 ·
Yep. That'll do it. You really can't just guess with bearing preload.

You'll need a torque wrench that'll get up to 175. They make some in 1/2" drive. Most 3/4" torque wrenches should also be fine.

A lot of 1/2" wrenches only read to 150 but you can get a range doubler to bump that to 300.

#18 ·
Yeah the torque is critical on the hubs, otherwise they do this.

#19 ·
Damnit KG, honestly bro i'm sure i got the hubs at 175lbs or way tighter than 175lbs. These were the cheapest ones Reilly's sells so, anyways, i start work monday, i'm back on my feet. I'm going to get the Moog hubs next. My buddy told me he had replaced his on his cherokee 3X within a year because he was buying the cheap ones and then he chose the Moog brand and never had any trouble afterwards.

#20 ·
Yeah, I've always gone with moog or timken, they've got a very good rep.

Too tight is just as bad as not tight enough.

#21 ·
Too tight, ok bro. Hey KG i got respects for you. You are a very smart guy. I wish i had you as a friend close by. I have a uncle that is a **cking genius but of course he is 500 miles away and you remind me of him. This guy can fix anything and has a solution to everything but he don't know much about a Jeep being he is in the south, me in the north and jeeps are not that popular down there, "but" if it was in front of him he cold fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.