MAP High Voltage - P0108 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > MAP High Voltage - P0108

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
lbrty9
1999 WJ 

MAP High Voltage - P0108

I'm getting an intermittent P0108 code. IT'll show up and then the check engine will go out for a while (several days to several weeeks). It did die on me the other day and threw this code as well.

I'm considering having the dealer diagnose this, but the check engine light isn't currently on and I'm not sure if the code needs to be continuous or not.

Any ideas? I'd had to shuck out $150 for a sensor I don't need, I'd hate even more to replace a PCM I don't need!

99 WJ with 4.7.

99 GC, 4.7, 6" Clayton's LA, 315/75/R16's, FIPK, 3 inch Kolak exhaust, VIAIR 450 OBA, front ARB with Warn HS9500, Kevin's Sliderz, full skids, SURCO, Hi-Lift, Xenon's with Kolak harness, more to follow.
lbrty9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

MAP Sensor Testing
Remove the connector at the MAP. There are three pins inside the connector (in a straight line). With the Key positioned to “On”and not start, you should see 5 volts across the outer two pins. This means that the PCM and wiring harness is good.

Reconnect the MAP sensor. Back-probe (with a paper clip) the center pin and connect the other end of the voltmeter to ground. With the ignition key On and the engine not running the voltage be 4 to 5 volts. Start the engine. The MAP should measure sometime 1 to 2 volts. Now open the throttle a bit and the voltage should increase with increasing rpms.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
lbrty9
1999 WJ 

Thanks, that helps a LOT!!!
99 GC, 4.7, 6" Clayton's LA, 315/75/R16's, FIPK, 3 inch Kolak exhaust, VIAIR 450 OBA, front ARB with Warn HS9500, Kevin's Sliderz, full skids, SURCO, Hi-Lift, Xenon's with Kolak harness, more to follow.
lbrty9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
GreenDean
1995 ZJ 

If you are getting a constant 5 volts threw the center pin AND/OR you get no reading across the two outters, you have a bad ground.
GreenDean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
maro35089

i did this test and the center pin is runnig -1 to -2v does that mean its bad. that is with the engine running. with the engine off and in the on position its reading 4.3v bad sensor??
maro35089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

One of the 3 pins is a ground and the other 2 have a positive voltage that is measured with respect to ground. Do the measurements again, but this time connect the negative probe of the voltmeter to some point (metal) on the engine or body, and then measure the voltage, with the positive probe, at each of the 3 pins separately. One of the outer pins should have zero volts (that's the ground) while the other should be at about 5 volts. The center pin will have a positive voltage this time.
Unread 07-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
reeldagg

P0108 - MAP Sensor - Jeep

I've had the same issue(s) with my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L. I had the wiring redone for the MAP sensor, the problem returned, replaced the sensor - still no joy. I suspect my problems are/were not related to the sensor, but the catalytic converter being blocked - so I've just replaced the cat. So far I have driven about 500km without any of the issues returning ( will let you know if they do). I reckon if I get to about 1500km driving without this P0108 happening I can say the problem is solved.

This is what I was experiencing
- Stalls while driving (just stopping dead)
- Slight surging at idle between 500rpm and 1000rpm
- Sudden shudder on open road while driving at 100kmph.
- Regular P0108.

What made me think it was a blocked cat ?
- Stalling is one of the symptoms
- I'd fixed the MAP sensor and I didn't want to believe it was the PCM.
- Surging
- The car has done 200,000 km and cats do wear out over time apparently.
- When starting up cold you could hear a bit of a hiss from the exhaust that wasn't there when the car was warm, cats apparently warm up and expand to allow the gas to pass through. If you cat is getting blocked you might notice this sort of noise.

I realise the original post is an old one - but hopefully my experience can help someone else.

Last edited by reeldagg; 07-05-2011 at 10:27 PM..
reeldagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #8
reeldagg

problem returned

Last edited by reeldagg; 07-08-2011 at 07:01 AM..
reeldagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
badnunik

I'm having the same issue, has anyone solved this problem yet?
badnunik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Hiss=exhaust or manifold leak?
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Blakes10

1999 Grand Cherokee

I just found this site, but have experienced the same Diagnostic Code. What concerns me is driving the car. On recent occasions, but at speeds of less than 20 MPH, partial electrical failure has occurred, causing loss of power steering and power boost on the brakes, along with misc items on the dash. The engine continues to run.

Is there a connection, you think, between the electrical failure and the P0108 Code? Thanks. Bill B
Blakes10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.