Manual way to close sunroof? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Manual way to close sunroof?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-15-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
osarte

Need help on stuck-open sunroof

The power sunroof in my 1997 JGC 5.9 LTD is stuck open. Is this something I could fix myself or do I need to take to a Jeep dealer?

Are there diagrams or instruction manuals available (maybe in PDF format) that I could download to repair the problem?

osarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I have to ask......because unless you swapped in the 5.9, Jeep didn't make any 5.9s in 97. However, there are lots of 98s.

1. Check fuses,
2. Check actuators.
3. Check for obstructions on the tracks.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
osarte

97 JGC sunroof stuck in vent up posn

Two corrections on my original message:
1. The motor is 5.2 and not 5.9 V8.
2. Sunroof is stuck in vent and not open position.

Yes, I've checked the tracks, fuses and circuit breakers. The sunroof breaker is actually shared with the intermittent wiper switch which works well.

Are actuators the same as relays? There's a clicking sound when the sunroof switch is pushed in the close-vent position, but not in the other direction. The sound appears to be coming from an area close to the switch. However, I can't remove or bring down the switch pod even after removing the single screw that holds it in place.

Thanks.

osarte
osarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 06:22 AM   #4
RAZZMANIAC

I have the same problem alot. . .it gets stuck. . . you have to carefully pry open the switch box. . . ive just played with the wires in there and stuff and its seemed to work. . .
Unread 05-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #5
Fryloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by osarte
Two corrections on my original message:
1. The motor is 5.2 and not 5.9 V8.
2. Sunroof is stuck in vent and not open position.

Yes, I've checked the tracks, fuses and circuit breakers. The sunroof breaker is actually shared with the intermittent wiper switch which works well.

Are actuators the same as relays? There's a clicking sound when the sunroof switch is pushed in the close-vent position, but not in the other direction. The sound appears to be coming from an area close to the switch. However, I can't remove or bring down the switch pod even after removing the single screw that holds it in place.

Thanks.

osarte
I have that same problem, sounds like a gear or something is stripped. I'd hate to have to drop the headliner just to get to it, but since it is this >< close to being fully closed I'm not to worried about it. I'll probably get to it when it warms up more.
Fryloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
snukel

Manual way to close sunroof?

Hi,
I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with a factory installed sunroof/moonroof. Something is wrong with the motor (I think) and the moonroof will open but it won't close. Does anyone know of a way to manually close the roof? Thanks for any help!
snukel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Like the power windows, about the only way to manually close the sunroof is to disconnect the motor and force it with your hands. A pretty tough job any way you look at it.
Unread 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #8
snukel

Ug

Thanks for your reply. Since I'm not a very strong person, I think manually forcing it would be pretty much out of the question. Would you have any idea how much a shop would charge me to fix something like this? Otherwise, I may have to go begging to some of my stronger friends.
Unread 12-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #9
snukel

Any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryloc
I have that same problem, sounds like a gear or something is stripped. I'd hate to have to drop the headliner just to get to it, but since it is this >< close to being fully closed I'm not to worried about it. I'll probably get to it when it warms up more.
Were you able to get your sunroof to close? I am having the same problem and was wondering if there were any additional suggestions on getting it to close. I was hoping there was, at the very least, a manual way to close the sunroof but on a recent post I created, it was suggested that the only way to close it would be to manually push it back. Thanks for any help before the rain starts this week!
Unread 12-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Not cheap. I'd go and look for some strong folks. I know five folks with sunroofs, only one isn't more than 5 years old and that's the one that works, the rest don't.

I don't want a sunroof. If I want sun on my head, I'll stick my head out the window, or chop the roof off.
Unread 12-05-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
97JGCLIMITED

Sunroofs aren't cheap to fix. My sunroof would vent but wouldn't slide back and forth. I took mine to the dealer and got them to fix it. I think the total repair bill was over $800.

I was able to hold the switch in the direction I wanted the sunroof to go and manually push it open or closed though. It didn't take that much effort I believe. On the inside, there is a type of lip to grap a hold of while you push it so that makes it a little easier.
97JGCLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #12
Bob D.

If you are ok with just leaving it closed...go to a glass shop, they should have those vacuum rubber suction cup things for moving and holding large sheets of glass. If there is enough room to attach one or two of those you can push it shut while pressing the close button.

If the window moves at all you could also try using silicone spray lube and spray the side channels and weather stripping that faces the glass while moving the glass back and forth until its loose enough to close on its own - the dried out weather stripping causes a lot of drag.
I had an '89 Cherokee with a drivers side window that wouldn't close unless I pulled it up by hand and pushed the close button at the same time.
I sprayed the heck out of side channels and weather stripping and worked the window, after awhile it moved up and down faster than the rest.
Bob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #13
snukel

Looking for a replacement actuator to fix sunroof

Hi and thanks for all of your replies.

We took out the headliner and looked at the motor, etc. and we have narrowed it down to the actuator needs to be replaced.

The motor works.
The switch works.
The actuator clicks.
But when we flipped the wires then the open side works to close.

I called the Jeep Parts dealer and they told me they don't sell actuators and that I would probably need to buy a whole new motor to get the actuator. That's about $700, I don't want to spend.

Anyone know where I could get just a new actuator? It's a pretty easy fix from there.

Thanks!
Unread 12-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #14
wmm_16

Are you sure you don't mean relay?
K&N Filter
Alpine head unit
Firestone Destination LE's
wmm_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #15
snukel

Okay, the relay. Anyone know where to get a relay?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.