Making sticky specs thread, need to confirm a few axle/t-case ?s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Making sticky specs thread, need to confirm a few axle/t-case ?s

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

Making sticky specs thread, need to confirm a few axle/t-case ?s

Ive been doing some searching online, went to the Jeep dealership nearby, and have just looked back at threads to make sure I was getting all of the right info. Let me know if this is right

Axles:

Front: Dana 30 used in all ZJs (and WJs?) 3.55:1

Rear: Dana 35 c-clip used in all ZJs (and WJs) with a 3.55 except for towing package which had a D44 with 3.73 gears with limited slip?

T-cases:

NP242 used on all I6 ZJs (and WJs?) SelecTrac

NP249 used on all V8 ZJs (and WJs?) QuadraTrac

The guy at the dealership said there is a new t-case called Selec-Trac 2 that was used starting in 2004 - it is basically all wheel drive, there are no choices of Hi or Lo. Anyone know what this t-case is called?

Let me know if I have anything wrong, this is info I have gathered from the forum, my head, the dealership, and online.

-Christian

Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2004, 01:24 PM   #2
nason

Your t-case info looks good, but the D44 is a Dana 44A (Aluminum). It uses an aluminum center section for reduction of unsprung mass.

You need to be awfully carefull when setting up a diff in one of those cases.

Aluminum is not as forgiving as steel.
nason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #3
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

Great Idea to do a thread on this stuff

I thought the NP249 came standard on all Limiteds regardless of engine and optional on Laredos.

Here in Australia (where our Jeeps are Euoropean spec) All ZJs came with the I6 and all Limiteds have the 249, most Laredos have the 249 too but I think it was an option.

When they say my 96 GCL came with a limited slip diff what diff are they talking about?

Last edited by djorkboy; 05-07-2004 at 04:50 PM..
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:49 PM   #4
shookwell

I think all 5.9s have the D44a too. Not sure, so look it up somewhere.
Unread 05-07-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
cfkingfish
Web Wheeler

Yeah, all the 5.9 have the LS D44A axle, I double checked that. Djorkboy, your limited slip is a 3.73 ratio Dana 44 axle, with I am assuming the aluminum housing - that sucks they made them aluminum in the ZJs/WJs, all XJ D44 axles are steel. If anyone can confirm that all this carried on to the WJs, that would be great.

-Christian
Converted to TJ axles - 5-297 U-joints
Optima Red Top
Custom exhaust

www.ishopfaulkner.com
cfkingfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #6
Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfkingfish
Rear: Dana 35 c-clip used in all ZJs (and WJs) with a 3.55 except for towing package which had a D44 with 3.73 gears with limited slip?

I believe 93-95 ZJ's used the D35c for both the I6 and V8 models, tow package still came with 3.73's
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.