Magic Dissappearing Water Trick? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
AZGLENH
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Magic Dissappearing Water Trick?

My Fiance's son has a 1996 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 L with 176K miles on it. About two weeks ago, the radiator cracked. We replaced the rad, hoses, etc. Filled it with coolant and water, burped like normal. It was idling high, so we put in a new TPS, and the idle is better now, but it is still a little hard to start and diesels a bit initially.
My issue is, the water/coolant is not leaking out anywhere outside the engine, or onto the passenger floor, but it goes down at an alarming rate as soon as we put the cap on and run the engine. After running it a few days ago, for a mile or so, it took 2 gallons once cool. We ran it again for 10 minutes, added another gallon. I pulled the dip stick, dark clean oil. We pulled the drain plug, same. We pulled the spark plugs, they all look good with no milky look or condensation on them. There are little bits of white-ish oily specs in the coolant. There is moisture at the exhaust pipe, it steams my glasses up, but is not dripping out. So that may be a leak between the coolant and a cylinder, but Gallons?
Any help would be appreciated guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 08:27 PM
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like you need to check the compression and/or pressure-test the system.

HID Projector retro! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
post #3 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
AZGLENH
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, figured a compression test would be a good idea.
Question, since all the plugs are out, can I do the test without any plugs in? When Iv'e done a compression test in the past, Iv'e always had the other plugs in.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-04-2017, 09:39 PM
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Sure; you're only testing one cylinder at a time, and the number you care about is when both valves are closed anyway. Each cylinder should be its own little ecosystem.

HID Projector retro! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
post #5 of 14 Old 10-05-2017, 05:06 AM
jeepjeepster

Could be mistaken but I think the FSM states that all plugs need to be removed. Lets the engine rotate quicker.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #6 of 14 Old 10-05-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
AZGLENH
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys,
The results of the compression test kinda suck:

1- 170, 2- 170, 3- 155, 4- 30, 5- 100, 6- 120, 7- 155, 8- 150

The cooling system pressure test is puzzling, It only loses 5psi, in 20 minutes, and the water is not in the cylinders or oil. I guess the cooling system must have had an awesome sized bubble.
With cyl's 4, 5, & 6 that low, is it time to pull the top end apart?
post #7 of 14 Old 10-06-2017, 01:00 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

When the radiator cracked did he keep driving it until it overheated? Looks like it and likely blew the head gaskets.

Is that #4 cylinder correct at 30psi rather than 130?

Below is a pretty good site with write-up on the compression test for your 5.2.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chr...ression-test-1

If you go with the math formula at 170 as your highest cylinder compression then all the rest of your cylinders should be at least 144.

Unfortunately it's time to pull the heads off. Good luck.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #8 of 14 Old 10-06-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
AZGLENH
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, It was 30 on the #4. I'm kinda wondering if it is the head gasket, rings, valves, or possibly even a cracked head. I guess I'll have to pull them to find out. I see another Greasy weekend coming up.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-07-2017, 02:10 PM
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Put a few drops of oil in the low cylinders and test the compression again. If it's the rings the oil will seal them and you should get much better numbers.

post #10 of 14 Old 10-07-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
AZGLENH
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Will do, we didn't get to work on the troublesome Grand Cherokee today. Made a trip to Pick a part for some items I needed. Replaced the battery in another ZJ, and a radiator in my XJ. On a positive note, while at Pick a part, I finally found a windshield washer fluid bottle for my XJ, in good shape. Mine is the one on the passenger side firewall. Iv'e been keeping an eye out for one for 6 months. Tomorrow we will add a bit of oil and retest the compression, then I'm gonna pull the heads.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
AZGLENH
1992 XJ Cherokee 

We rechecked the compression on the 2 that were really low with a few squirts of motor oil in the cylinders, not much change. pulled the heads on Sunday. We're still cleaning off gasket material and carbon with kerosene and plastic scraper's & a brush. I called two different cylinder shops, both told me the same thing. "90% of the time those heads are cracked, don"t waste my time. Buy new ones." That is a bit of a bummer.I don't really want to drop $700 on new heads. Not sure what we're doing yet, I'm gonna clean everything up and think about it. I may also work on the one intake bolt that snapped off flush when we were unbolting.
BTW, the head gaskets were definitely bad, we could see where there was travel between different ports on both sides.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-10-2017, 05:07 AM
jeepjeepster

I'm sortve confused but this whole cracked head thing. You can visually see the crack between the valves and I've yet to hear of it being an issue. Check the heads for plane and roll with it.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #13 of 14 Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
AZGLENH
1992 XJ Cherokee 

well, The heads looked great, valves were even seating nicely. I think the guy's I talked to at the cylinder head shop's just wanted to sell new ones. The gasket was blown in 3 spots that we could see. So we cleaned up everything and put the heads, valve covers and intake back on. We then redid the compression test, results still suck, the cylinders that were low before, still didn't do well. cyl 4 went from 30 to 50, cyl 5 went from 100 to 75, cyl 6 went from 120 to 70. I'm thinking the results that went down may be due to cleaning off all the carbon deposits. We then did a wet test on the bad cylinders and all of them were at 180 or higher. I think that indicates that it is the rings that are to blame. I think at this point we are going to put it back together and see how it runs, at least we have good heads and no more blown head gaskets.
I so love my straight 6 in my XJ, compared to these V8's our kids have.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-18-2017, 02:04 AM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeZX View Post
Sure; you're only testing one cylinder at a time, and the number you care about is when both valves are closed anyway. Each cylinder should be its own little ecosystem.
That was very well put Sir .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.