Lunch Box Slack??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lunch Box Slack???

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
johnnycrash
1999 WJ 

Lunch Box Slack???

Anyone here running Lunchboxes front and rear in stock axles?
I'm Running a loc-right in my 30, and a No-slip in my 35 out rear, and when i go from drive to reverse, or vice versa i have a lot of slack, it makes a loud clack noise.

It was first noticable after i installed the rear one, as it went in 6 months or so before i locked the front. Anyone else have this? should i worry about damage, or is it just an annoyance?

Thanks.

johnnycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
sandman
1993 ZJ 

sure its not a u-joint on your ds?
Unread 04-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
johnnycrash
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
sure its not a u-joint on your ds?
I was pokin around under there and didnt notice any play in the DS, but ill check again. I have vibes since i lifted, but hasnt made the noise anyworse, i dropped the t-case last night, helped with the vibes alot, and with the torque steer i was gettin. ill double check the the U-joints..
Unread 04-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

if your getting torque steer I bet some of your control arm bushings are shot.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

If everything else feels good, check the transfer case chain.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
johnnycrash
1999 WJ 

Im pretty sure all my ca bushings are finished, the torque steer showed up after the no slip went in the rear, step on the gas and she pushes to the drivers side, let off it and it goes to the pass side. Im ordering all adjustable ca's, just have to get the money together. I'm also waiting as i have to replace my front diff since its bent on the drivers side and my tire has a serious camber issue. so when ill install the new d30 and the arms all at once. How much is a t-case chain? or where would i order one from?
Unread 04-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
johnnycrash
1999 WJ 

ok so it looks(well sounds) like its the tcase chain, if i twist the ds i hear the chain tapping the casing.
guess ill have to pull it apart.
Unread 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

That sounds like pretty standard driving characteristics of a lunchbox locker to me. The increased slack is due to the extra clearance around the carrier pin. In the stock diff the pin is snug in the carrier. With the locker there is just a tiny bit of play back and forth. I bet you've also noticed that if you park on a hill and don't use the e-brake that it rolls a foot or so further than it used to...It was scary the first time I felt it!

The torque steer you're talking about sounds normal too. Worn bushings could definitely make it worse.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

I had a lock right in a samurai and in neutral I could twist the drive shaft a lot. If the sound started when you did the rear then I would be concerned about the sound because you did not have a lunchbox locker then. Make sure your tc is in neutral when you check your drive shafts.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #10
johnnycrash
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ-Orvis View Post
I had a lock right in a samurai and in neutral I could twist the drive shaft a lot. If the sound started when you did the rear then I would be concerned about the sound because you did not have a lunchbox locker then. Make sure your tc is in neutral when you check your drive shafts.
ah well it wasnt in neutral, the tranny was but not the tcase.... yea she rolls when parked, about a foot. .. now you would or wouldnt be concerned about the sound, sorry didnt quite follow that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.