Lug nuts are so tight i cant get them to break.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lug nuts are so tight i cant get them to break..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Lug nuts are so tight i cant get them to break..

The last mechanic who worked on my mom's Jeep for the rotation and alingment put the lug nuts on so darn tight that i cant get them off... I got all but 1 and the last one will absolutetly not budge... I tried hitting it with a hammer, tried PB blaster... tried heat... Nothing will work.. Its getting so bad now that the lug is stripping outside and i dunno what to do...

Im just going to put the damn things back on and leave it alone i guess, but this really pisses me off.

How am i going to get this off ? I guess it doesnt matter too much as she needs new tires anyway and I'll just let a shop deal with it.. but still.. When i use a torque wrench and torque them to 80-100 lbs when i take them off later i only need 1 arm to loosen them... These i littery had to get so much leverage and put all my might into them for them to even budge. My guess is the idiot used power tools and torqued them to like 200 lbs or something stupid..

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

in before the ban......
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

put all the other lugnuts back on tight and try to break the stubborn one free then
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
azgrandjeeper
1998 ZJ 

Put all the lug nuts back on. Try to get the tight one free. And if you cant get it free get some PB Blaster (get them at walmart or autozone) and spray some around the lug wait a minute and try again. If that doesnt work spray it again and wain a couple min. That should work. Unless he striped it completly. Good Luck bud
azgrandjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
azgrandjeeper
1998 ZJ 

or take it back to the guy who did it
azgrandjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I had the same trouble when I brought mine to Jack Williams awhile back. Bring the Jeep back down to the a holes who jacked them on with that pneumatic hammer and let them get it off.
I got new lugs and a replacement rotor that they bent up on me. The manager was not very happy with the tech, but maybe he'll learn.
How I found out mine were screwed up is when anyone does anything with the wheels (inspection, tires), I'll always re-torque the lugs.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If the air impact isn't breaking them free, then you need a bigger impact
Take it to a shop that works on big rigs or at least one ton pickups and they will break it free in a matter of seconds.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
NicksYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bring it to any local shop and ask them to hit it the impact. Shouldn't charge you a cent.
NicksYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem on my truck a few years ago. I asked them to hand tighten them from then on bc they were getting them too tight. Lug nuts that you can't take off by hand are useless!!!
Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Go back to the mechanic. Explain him that he screwed up REALLY BAD! He is playing Russian roulette with your and your passengers' lives. Tell him that you'll be taking it to a dealer for replacement of ALL the lugnuts and that you expect him (the ******* mechanic) to pay the bill. Those overtorqued lugnuts are a ticking bomb and they like to snap when you're doing 70 on the highway.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Well if it's getting stripped on the flats I would take a dermal and cut slots on opposite sides and then take a chisel and split it. Or they do make a nut splitter but I never used one.this way you might save the stud. Just make sure you don't cut into the stud threads or bend it when you hit the nut and split it.
Wear eye protection.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Feel the Sunshine on your face
edpmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

K i was worried that shops would charge me an arm and leg but if you guys think they would pop it off ina second then ill bring it to a shop then.

Yes this shop is the same place that screwd up on both our alignments and my mom's is so bad that one of her tires are now worn down to basicly no tread and its hard to drive. Even tho the tires need replaced this particular one make the steering feal wierd, so i was going to move it to the back to help the steering a little until we get the funds for new tires.

Oh and to the guy who said ima get banned for saying god damn... Yea ok...

Maybe i was a bit harsh but this really pissed me off.. I got one tire off after breaking my back... then the 2nd tire the last lug nut was so tight i bent my breaker bar, and litterally bent the socket so much that it wont fit over the lug nuts anymore.

Thats how tight they were
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I had that happen a few times, most of the time had to us a sledge and hammer a smaller socket on then use a 6ft breaker bar.

When you get it off Maputo never seize on the chamfer of the lugs to stop them from sticking.
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
I had that happen a few times, most of the time had to us a sledge and hammer a smaller socket on then use a 6ft breaker bar.

When you get it off Maputo never seize on the chamfer of the lugs to stop them from sticking.

Thats what i was thinking of doing was pounding a smaller socket on it with a sledge hammer and then trying it again... However i gave up i hurt my back messing with this.. Pinched a nerve or something which made me stop breathing for a second.. That hurts..

I just put them all back on and to hell with it. Going to have a tire shop enjoy taking it off.. Oh and i bent my breaker bar and 1 of my lug nut socket now have 8 points instead of 6.. it litterally bent my lug nut socket outward..

Oh and i just discoverd the CV boots are cracked and getting ready to go... YAY more things
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like someone needs a membership to the gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.