Lug nut torque Spec for a 98 5.9 Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lug nut torque Spec for a 98 5.9 Limited

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 08-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
jenniferny
1998 ZJ 

Lug nut torque Spec for a 98 5.9 Limited

I tried to search for this, but could not find it, so if it is already here would someone let me know where it is?

The front brakes on my 5.9 Limited are as thin as paper so I ordered a set of EBC Yellowstuff pads and a new set of Centric Premium rotors as recommended by people on Jeep Forum.

I went to take the wheel off today and I could not loosen the lug nuts, even with a long handle 1/2" Snap On Breaker Bar, so I got out my Snap On TQFR250 Torque Wrench. I started at 75 ft lbs and got a click and no movement, I went to 100 and it clicked again. next I went to 150 ft lbs and it still clicked with no movement. I can not believe that the tire store put my wheels on with OVER 150 ft lbs of torque. I am not strong enough to go any higher than 150 ft lbs so I had to stop without knowing what the actual torque is.

Does anyone know what the correct torque spec for the lug nuts on my 5.9 Limited is???? I am going there tomorrow and have them loosen my lug nuts and torque them tighten them with a torque wrench at the correct spec.

Has anyone else had a shop put on their lug nuts this tight?

Thank You for your help!! I do not know what I would do without this forum!!!

Last edited by jenniferny; 08-03-2011 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: add information
jenniferny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
CrazyMacaw

Haynes Manual calls for 80-110 Ft-lbs.
CrazyMacaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
jenniferny
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMacaw View Post
Haynes Manual calls for 80-110 Ft-lbs.
Thank You!!
Unread 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

And just because it took 150+ lbs to get them off does not necessarily mean that is how much was used when putting them on. For example, corrosion creeping into the threads and so forth.

Having said that, you are probably right, some bozo with an impact gun hammered them on there.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Yea I have, i went to get my 5.9 inspected for the yearly state saftey inspection and the mechanic first jacked my jeep up on the control arm mount on the axle, then he took my passenger wheel off to inspect the brake's and when he put it back on he just tightend it with his impact gun using a standard socket, and not a 80-100lbs torque socket.

That and he bent my control arm mount. So its in the dealership getting repaired. Im going to take the lug nuts off and retighten them the proper way
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
perfeng702
1999 WJ 

you shouldn't be using your torque wrench to loosen bolts... that is a good way to break it. they go in reverse for reverse threaded fasteners... not for breaking things loose. but since you stopped when it clicked, you're probably ok. just fyi.
perfeng702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I recently had my tires on and off a few times, and I always use a torque wrench. I put them on, and then about a week later went to take them off at my buddies house to put my new tires on and we couldn't get a single one off easily. Ripped 5 lug nuts apart across all four wheels (the lug nuts are two piece), and had a hell of a time.

Ended up finding out that the chamfer at the end of the lug nuts seized to the aluminum wheels. I hit them real quick with the bench belt sander (just the angle on the end of the lugs) until they were shiny and hit them with a light coat of never seize. That was about a month ago, and I've tried a few times since to see if they stuck again and they haven't given me any problems since.

Only advice I can give you is give them a little pb blaster, and an expensive impact and hope you don't rip the lugs in two.
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
jenniferny
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
And just because it took 150+ lbs to get them off does not necessarily mean that is how much was used when putting them on. For example, corrosion creeping into the threads and so forth.

Having said that, you are probably right, some bozo with an impact gun hammered them on there.
It did not take the 150 lbs to get them off, and there is no corrosion. When I had the tires rotated just a couple months ago they sprayed Thrust on the studs to prevent rust and corrosion before he put the lug nuts on and tightened them. Also, I did not try and remove them when I got the 150 ft lb reading. I put my torque wrench on the lug nut and tried to tighten it at 75 then 100, and finally 150 ft lbs and even at the 150 ft lb setting the lug nut did not move. I did that to see what the torque was at so I knew what they had been tightened to.
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
jenniferny
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfeng702 View Post
you shouldn't be using your torque wrench to loosen bolts... that is a good way to break it. they go in reverse for reverse threaded fasteners... not for breaking things loose. but since you stopped when it clicked, you're probably ok. just fyi.
I know that, which is why I tried to tighten them at each torque setting on my torque wrench so I could see at what point they would tighten so I would know how much they had been torqued to when they were put on and even at the 150 ft lb setting they would not budge.
Unread 08-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #10
jenniferny
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
I recently had my tires on and off a few times, and I always use a torque wrench. I put them on, and then about a week later went to take them off at my buddies house to put my new tires on and we couldn't get a single one off easily. Ripped 5 lug nuts apart across all four wheels (the lug nuts are two piece), and had a hell of a time.

Ended up finding out that the chamfer at the end of the lug nuts seized to the aluminum wheels. I hit them real quick with the bench belt sander (just the angle on the end of the lugs) until they were shiny and hit them with a light coat of never seize. That was about a month ago, and I've tried a few times since to see if they stuck again and they haven't given me any problems since.

Only advice I can give you is give them a little pb blaster, and an expensive impact and hope you don't rip the lugs in two.
My 5.9 has all McGard Lug Nuts on it, I took the factory lug nuts off it the first week that I had the jeep because of the issue you mentioned that I had in the past with one of the Grand Cherokee's that I owned. McGard uses a high quality steel with a good chrome plating and have never had a problem since switching to the McGards.
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

110ftlbs dry, 78-84 with antiseze.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

It will always take more torque to remove the lugs . The taper is designed to kinda , dig into the wheel , it distorts the alum/steel to the direction the lug goes tightening it up . Therefore , making it lock into position until forced off . Over torquing will show extra wear on the rim holes , I've seen some pretty gouged holes before .
FSM says 85-115 . Personally , I go 115
Always retorque after 1-200 miles
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
110ftlbs dry, 78-84 with antiseze.
Really? Youd think it would take more toque with anti seize.
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Torque is a measurement of friction between the fastener and the piece you're clamping. Antiseze and oil lower the friction for the same clamping force.hd

Even torque application is more important than hitting the upper end of the range.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
Really? Youd think it would take more toque with anti seize.
NO. The whole point of anti-seez is to reduce friction which in turns allows you to stretch the stud the proper amount with LESS torque.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lug nut torque , lug nuts , Torque

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.