Lucasoil Tranny Fix - Drain or No Drain? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lucasoil Tranny Fix - Drain or No Drain?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
swataz
1999 WJ 

Lucasoil Tranny Fix - Drain or No Drain?

I have read on numerous threads about adding Lucasoil's Transmission Fix to their transmissions for one reason or another, and that it is pretty much a standard practice to remove about a quart (or sometimes 24 ounces) to allow for the addition of the Lucasoil product.

However, when I look at their website, one of the "Key Benefits" they list is the ability to add product without draining any transmission fluid (check bullet 3):

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=9&loc=show

Curious if any of you have chosen the approach of no drainage. Either way, I have a hand pump at the ready, but it's always good to hear real-world experiences from folks.

Hope you can help!

swataz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
mtcox
2001 WJ 

I just added one quart to my tranny after siphoning off about the same amount. I'm not seeing any difference in performance. It still slips and puts the tranny into limp mode. I have a second quart that I may or may not add. I don't know that it's going to help any more. The web site does say that more than one quart may be necessary. My tranny may be too far gone. Be sure to warm up the Lucas Oil. It's thick and takes some time to pour down the dip stick tube. I think if you warm it up in a hot water bath it may make it flow a bit easier. Good luck.
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
swataz
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcox View Post
I just added one quart to my tranny after siphoning off about the same amount. I'm not seeing any difference in performance. It still slips and puts the tranny into limp mode. I have a second quart that I may or may not add. I don't know that it's going to help any more. The web site does say that more than one quart may be necessary. My tranny may be too far gone. Be sure to warm up the Lucas Oil. It's thick and takes some time to pour down the dip stick tube. I think if you warm it up in a hot water bath it may make it flow a bit easier. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip and well, sorry to hear about your tranny's condition, mtcox.

What kind of issues was the Jeep exhibiting before you added the Lucas? Did it have the ever-popular 2nd to 3rd when cold slip? Was it throwing any codes?
Unread 12-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
mtcox
2001 WJ 

It continues to throw numerous codes. Read about it at:

www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586656

It is slipping on cold starts. It behaves like a normal tranny when it's warmed up but it continues to put itself in limp mode before I can get 2-3 miles down the road. I simply stop and erase the codes with a scanner. It's a pain but it's saving me from spending money on the replacement for the time being. I've got an email into Lucas about what to do. I'd rather not add another $13 quart of oil if it's not going to help.

The slipping is immediate when placed in gear. It takes 10-15 seconds when I select drive or reverse for the Jeep to engage and then it behaves like a manual transmission when you don't let the clutch all of the way out. High RPM's and little movement. It's at this stage it begins to throw codes and the check engine light illuminates. I've found used transmissions for $600 - $1,200. It's a project for after Christmas. The Haynes manual details the removal and replacement but I'm happy to have any input on swapping out these tranny's.
Unread 12-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
swataz
1999 WJ 

That sucks...I must admit my transmission is not that bad - YET. But I am sure in time I am looking at a rebuild. I know true Jeep lovers will kill me for saying this, but I just need it to last another year or so, and if the Lucas is a quick fix, and it works for now, so be it.

Good luck with your issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.