Lucas or Trans-X ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lucas or Trans-X ?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Briandl

Lucas or Trans-X ?

I know I've been asking tons of questions as a new Jeep owner but here is another.

Trans-X or Lucas for my transmission or neither?

It's difficult because there is so much contradicting information.

I know Daimler Chrysler doesn't recommend additives. I know I've read people's opinions about Lucas but most are from people who have used it on other vehicles or had friends that did, not a lot of info from people that used it on their Jeeps. I also read at least once someone mentioning that Trans-X is better for Chrysler vehicles than Lucas is.

Extended Reading:

Basically my transmission has become more noticeable when shifting, I changed the fluid and filter and I believe that helped but with almost 100K miles on that transmission and the fact that it was 9K miles past due for the fluid change I am thinking something like Lucas would be good to add but again I've read so much that I am looking for any additional info anyone can share.

Thanks in advance!

Unread 07-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Brian,
I don't recommend any additives or fluids other than Mopar ATF+ 4 in your transmission. If you used any fluid other than ATF+ 4 when you changed the fluid and filter, that is probably the source of your current problem.
If you did use ATF+ 4 at the last filter/fluid change, then you may have a sticking selenoid. An air test performed at any reputable transmission specialty shop will quickly verify or disprove this idea.

HTH
Unread 05-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
thor68372rockon
1977 CJ7 

Trans X Or Lucas?

Hey Guys, I'll Try To Help A Little Bit If I Can. I've Been An Auto Mechanic For 28 Years & The Way I've Done It Is If An Automatic Trans. Slips It's On Its Way Out. If You Want To Safe Guard A Good Non-Slipping Trans., Use Trans-X. I Am Not A Dealer Or Get Paid By These Guys What So Ever. The Dealer Will Still Warranty The Trans. If You Use It. What I Do Is Add Half The Bottle To Trans., Drive It For 200-300 Miles (This Gives It A Chance To Clean The Valve Body & Ports In The Trans.) Then Change The Fluid & Filter & Add The Other Half Bottle To Good Fluid In Tranny. This Will Continue To Clean & Help Your Transmission. I Have Done This With Every Vehicle I Own, I've Had My 2001 Buick LeSabre Limited From The Time It Was New & Now Has 192,000 Miles On it, I Added Trans X Right Away When I Bought It, Drove It For 200 Miles, Then Changed Fluid & Filter & Added The Other Half Of The Trans X Bottle, I Have Never Had One Bit Of Trouble With That Tranny, 1975 Chevy Full-Time 4X4, I Rebuilt Trans. Added Trans X, Now Has 20,000 Miles On It, No Problems With It. I Do Use Lucas Engine Oil Stabilizer In The Engines On All My Vehicles, Lawnmowers & Snowblower. I Have Heard You Can Add Lucas Engine Oil Stabilizer To Your Transfer Case & Front & Rear Drive Axle Gear Boxes Also. I Have Not Used Lucas Tranny Additive So I Do Not Know How It Works, I Have Had Great Success With Trans X So I Will Not Change. Good Luck Guys!
thor68372rockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor68372rockon View Post
Hey Guys, I'll Try To Help A Little Bit If I Can. I've Been An Auto Mechanic For 28 Years & The Way I've Done It Is If An Automatic Trans. Slips It's On Its Way Out. If You Want To Safe Guard A Good Non-Slipping Trans., Use Trans-X. I Am Not A Dealer Or Get Paid By These Guys What So Ever. The Dealer Will Still Warranty The Trans. If You Use It. What I Do Is Add Half The Bottle To Trans., Drive It For 200-300 Miles (This Gives It A Chance To Clean The Valve Body & Ports In The Trans.) Then Change The Fluid & Filter & Add The Other Half Bottle To Good Fluid In Tranny. This Will Continue To Clean & Help Your Transmission. I Have Done This With Every Vehicle I Own, I've Had My 2001 Buick LeSabre Limited From The Time It Was New & Now Has 192,000 Miles On it, I Added Trans X Right Away When I Bought It, Drove It For 200 Miles, Then Changed Fluid & Filter & Added The Other Half Of The Trans X Bottle, I Have Never Had One Bit Of Trouble With That Tranny, 1975 Chevy Full-Time 4X4, I Rebuilt Trans. Added Trans X, Now Has 20,000 Miles On It, No Problems With It. I Do Use Lucas Engine Oil Stabilizer In The Engines On All My Vehicles, Lawnmowers & Snowblower. I Have Heard You Can Add Lucas Engine Oil Stabilizer To Your Transfer Case & Front & Rear Drive Axle Gear Boxes Also. I Have Not Used Lucas Tranny Additive So I Do Not Know How It Works, I Have Had Great Success With Trans X So I Will Not Change. Good Luck Guys!

Why is every word capitalized at the beginning?

No additive in ZJ trannys. ATF+4 fluid only.
Unread 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Gents, fluid info is in the FAQs...read them.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
thor68372rockon
1977 CJ7 

@TucsonZJ, I Just Got Used To Typing That Way & It's Haard To Break the Habit I Guess, Sorry.
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
thor68372rockon
1977 CJ7 

@ TexasZJ1, Thanks For The Info. Will Check It Out.
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Engineers design and build transmissions and recommend what fluids they require.....additives are designed usually by non-engineers with the hope of selling to the non-engineer driver! If you are willing to second guess a group of well educated professionals be my guest.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If the tranny was slipping and you needed a rebuild is the only time I would use an additive to try and squeeze some more miles out of it.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
ZJfamilyfun
1998 ZJ 

My 98 w/ 168k had a bad 3-4 slip when i first got it. I drained, new filter, and refilled w/ +4 and subbed 1 qt. W/ Lucas and now at 171k it has been shifting like new!
ZJfamilyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

chrysler transmissions are best if all that goes in is the correct fluid (or a backwards compatible chrysler spec fluid)

nearly every person i've known to have a chrysler transmission fail have used something else... either a universal fluid or an additive

(i say nearly because my sister killed her lebaron's transmission by driving it like it was a racecar and my mom had the transmission in her van blow a seal after a rather significant number of miles which included a fair bit of towing... and IIRC when my dad's ram charger took a manhole (was loose and his tire spun on it making it fly up) to the underside it damaged the transmission)
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.