Lucas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lucas

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Lucas

I'm sure this has been addressed before. What are the thoughts/feelings of using Lucas additives in either the engine and or transmission?

just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

Opinions very. Personally, I've been using their products for the past 15 years in all of my vehicles without complaint. I have a 1951 Harry Ferguson tractor that has been needing a crank kit since I purchased it about 10 years ago, due to loose rods. I run a 50/50 mix of SAE 60 oil and Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the pan and on the hottest of days, oil pressure never drops below 20 PSI.

In my 1993 AX-15 ZJ, I added Lucas Oil Stab to both the engine and MT. At current, I have just under 260k miles on the entire original drivetrain, with no oil consumption between changes. I have no reason to believe it won't go another 260k.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

I've had no problems with Lucas in the engine oil of various vehicles. As a personal rule, I do my best to avoid adding anything other than atf in the trans.
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Snake oil. I would rather have oil than additive in my Jeep. Just because people have used it with out problems doesn't mean it's worth anything. When the Crap hits the fan and the motor gets too hot what would you rather have protecting it? Oil or some thick additive? If the additive was as good or better than the oil then why not just make the additive the oil? It's not. It isn't made to the same standards as oil and it just takes up the space where oil could be. Today's oils have plenty of detergents and conditioners in them.
If you have low oil pressure then you switch to a thicker oil or fix the problem.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Well, I've been running 10w40 since I've owned it. I was just thinking of an additive to fill in any voids that the oil may not be covering itself. Higher viscosity does sound like an easier solution. Being in the LA area I'm sure it wouldn't effect much. Thanks for the inputs...
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.