Lubricating steering and suspension ball joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lubricating steering and suspension ball joints

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

Lubricating steering and suspension ball joints

Hey guys- can someone point me in the right direction about how to lubricate the steering and suspension ball joints? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

-Chris

chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

get a regulare grease gun with some grease (ask the people at the auto store), shove it over every fitting you see and pump away till grease comes out of the bushing. i dont think the stock ball joints on any grand cherokee are greaseable
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
sandman
1993 ZJ 

get a gun and crawl under your jeep, everywhere you see a grease fitting fill it. the grease and gun is cheap.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Well, since the OP doesn't want to tell us what his rig is -- ZJs (93-98) have greasable balljoints, WJs (99-2004) do not.

Hint to OP: Fill out your profile and/or sig so we know what you have Welcome to the board.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Since we have no idea which Jeep you have, if you have a WJ, the only greasable joints are the ball joints, one on top of each knuckle.
Unread 06-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites
Well, since the OP doesn't want to tell us what his rig is -- ZJs (93-98) have greasable balljoints, WJs (99-2004) do not.

Hint to OP: Fill out your profile and/or sig so we know what you have Welcome to the board.
Hey quit smoking the crack, you have it backwards...WJ's only have greasable ball joints - nothing else is greasable.
Unread 06-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Oopsie

I knew it was one or the other...TREs or balljoints - both are a PITA to change out anyway

That, and dubs are weird

Unread 06-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
02_limited
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites
Oopsie

I knew it was one or the other...TREs or balljoints - both are a PITA to change out anyway

That, and dubs are weird
What's the recommend grease type/brand for the ball joints?

If you were to grab ahold of the tire rod and be able to rotate it back and forth about 1/4 - 1/2 inches and the boots looks kinda "deflated", does it mean the TREs will need to be replaced? I think it got loosen a bit when my gf hit a big pothole in the field because the steering stabilizer has a minor dent too.
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

rotation is fine, lateral movement is bad. However, you'll have a hard time seeing lateral movement by yourself. Get under there and have a buddy that you trust turn the wheel back and forth. If the TREs try to separate at the joint, you have bad joints.

I just use the cheapy stuff at the auto parts store. Valvoline makes chassis grease, so does Coastal and every other cheapo brand. You'll be fine with that.

Unread 06-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC02 Limited
What's the recommend grease type/brand for the ball joints?

If you were to grab ahold of the tire rod and be able to rotate it back and forth about 1/4 - 1/2 inches and the boots looks kinda "deflated", does it mean the TREs will need to be replaced? I think it got loosen a bit when my gf hit a big pothole in the field because the steering stabilizer has a minor dent too.
Use your standard grease. Nothing special. Its been so long since I refilled my grease gun I cant remember whats in it.

Also, make sure to clean the grease fittings free of the dirty gritty grease that can collect on the outside. Other wise, if you pop that grease gun on there without cleaning the fitting, you will force all of that dirt and grime into the joint, decreasing the life of the joint.

Harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
GRDCHRKE555
1999 XJ Cherokee 

its ok if the tie rod twists a little bit. just as long as there is no lateral movement in the tie rod. mine twist too and my steering is tight.. minus my steering box being shot. stupid me stupid me
4.5" (~6'') RC lift w/ full leafs, RE 1.25" Shackles, Bilstein 5125's, IRO Custom HI-Clearance LA's,JKS quicker discos, C4x4 Front Hooks, TW's SYE/CV DS, FLO-PRO cat-back, and some 32'' x 11.50" Maxxis Bighorns
GRDCHRKE555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #12
02_limited
2002 WJ 

Thanks FPKites, Yardman Harry, GRDCHRKE555

I've been searching to find out if rotation is normal or not. I have a little sloppy steering on tight curves, so I think it's the TRE. Well, I do know I need to replace the rear sway bar too. I'll check under there tommorrow and see what else I can find to burn a hole in my pocket.
Unread 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
chrisstromberg
2004 WJ 

Sorry I didn't mention my rig. Kinda hard to give advice if you don't know what I'm working with. '04 Grand Cherokee. So what's the consensus on what's greasable and not greasable? And the reason I asked about ball and suspension joints was because the factory manual mentioned both. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for the help.

-Chris
chrisstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #14
mendelmax
2004 WJ 

Standard WJ has only two lube points- steering knuckle ball joint both at left and right Nothing more.
POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #11

Anyway, nothing will beat Suzuki :D
mendelmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
dunno513

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn
get a regulare grease gun with some grease (ask the people at the auto store), shove it over every fitting you see and pump away till grease comes out of the bushing. i dont think the stock ball joints on any grand cherokee are greaseable

Insert one instruction to this.. WIPE IT OFF FIRST! Otherwise you'll pump dirt into the joint. This is one reason that auto makers stopped putting zerk fittings on everything. (Plus it's cheaper)

My grandfather used to install his own zerk fittings if a replacement didn't have one. I'm just not that inclined.
dunno513 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.