Lubricant questions- diffs and tcase NP249 quadratrac - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lubricant questions- diffs and tcase NP249 quadratrac

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
proeliumfessus
1996 ZJ 

Lubricant questions- diffs and tcase NP249 quadratrac

Hey guys-

96 grand cherokee
5.2L
212k miles
Auto
AWD

I'm getting a subtle "geary" whine noise so I thought maybe I should change the fluids. I do experience some chirping in the tires when making slow sharp turns, but dont hear any knocking (indicating VC failure in the tcase).

I called the dealer and I have the following:
front dif- Open non Limited slip dana 30
rear dif- Limited slip dana 44
and
Tcase- NPG 249 quadratrac

here's my questions- what fluids should I use?

Dealer says use 75/140 synthetic for the front and rear difs and add an Limited slip additive for the rear... but my question is can I get away with not using synthetic? as you know the price difference is pretty extreme. I want to know if I can use 85-140 gear oil in both diffs instead (of course still adding the additive in the rear)?

With the tcase- the dealer didnt seem too sure what I should use... they said it wasnt in their computer... they said they'd use 75/80 synchro shift fluid, which they said is often used in manual transmissions.. I called kragen and they said use dexron3... then I searched this forum and found threads saying use aft +3 (is this the same as dexron 3?) so I'm not sure what to use here- can someone tell me? also do I have to use an additive for the tcase?

also do you think worn out fluids could cause the geary noise and tire chirping? Any reco's on places with good prices for fluids?

appreciate the help

proeliumfessus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

A "geary noise" is most likely a pinion bearing going bad in one of the axles. Not uncommon at those miles. Changing the fluids is the best place to start though.

Any gear oil you want is fine, just use 85-140 due to your miles and location. You already know to add the limited slip additive to the rear (did you give the dealer your VIN? otherwise you might not have an LSD.)

Any ATF you please in the transfer case is fine. You can't buy ATF +3 anymore. ATF +4 is what the dealer would use but this is unnecessary for the 249. Dexron III (the cheapest) is fine.

No additive in the case. The tire chirping would be worn out clutch packs in the LSD rear end if it is coming from the rear. If it's from the front it's the transfer case.

Walmart is the cheapest place to get fluids. They have Super Tech ATF and gear oils which are fine. You'll need a tube of Ultra RTV silicone (color is up to you, as long as it says Ultra and is resistant to oils and chemicals you're fine.)
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
proeliumfessus
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
A "geary noise" is most likely a pinion bearing going bad in one of the axles. Not uncommon at those miles. Changing the fluids is the best place to start though.

Any gear oil you want is fine, just use 85-140 due to your miles and location. You already know to add the limited slip additive to the rear (did you give the dealer your VIN? otherwise you might not have an LSD.)

Any ATF you please in the transfer case is fine. You can't buy ATF +3 anymore. ATF +4 is what the dealer would use but this is unnecessary for the 249. Dexron III (the cheapest) is fine.

No additive in the case. The tire chirping would be worn out clutch packs in the LSD rear end if it is coming from the rear. If it's from the front it's the transfer case.

Walmart is the cheapest place to get fluids. They have Super Tech ATF and gear oils which are fine. You'll need a tube of Ultra RTV silicone (color is up to you, as long as it says Ultra and is resistant to oils and chemicals you're fine.)
Dude- thank you heading to wal mart now (I dont know how we used to live without the internet lol)
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
proeliumfessus
1996 ZJ 

oh and yeah- I called the dealer- its lsd in the rear and not in the front- does that sound right to you?
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Yes, but did you give them the VIN from your Jeep? Otherwise they have no way of knowing if it has LSD or not.
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
mrmurphys
1993 ZJ 

I just did my LSD rear and I had the geary noise and chirping/low squeel at sharp turns. I used Walmart's Super Tech 75-140 Synthetic at $11 bottle (x2) and had to stop at AutoZone to get the $5 Additive. HUGE difference. Still a slight, very slight geary noise but I also have some bearings on my workbench to change out. The squeels and chirps are gone. Hardest part of the whole job was squeezing those darn bottles into the axle housing as you cant really tip the bottle up farther than almost parallel. So be prepared to squeeze the bejesus out of those bottles.

Also found it easier to put 3-4 ounces of sythetic fluid in, then add the additive to the bottle of fluid as the additive bottle would have made a huge mess. Just my opinion. Good luck and post results...
mrmurphys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
proeliumfessus
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Yes, but did you give them the VIN from your Jeep? Otherwise they have no way of knowing if it has LSD or not.
sorry- yeah I meant to say, I did give them the vin and thats what they told me about it being lsd in the rear
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
proeliumfessus
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurphys View Post
I just did my LSD rear and I had the geary noise and chirping/low squeel at sharp turns. I used Walmart's Super Tech 75-140 Synthetic at $11 bottle (x2) and had to stop at AutoZone to get the $5 Additive. HUGE difference. Still a slight, very slight geary noise but I also have some bearings on my workbench to change out. The squeels and chirps are gone. Hardest part of the whole job was squeezing those darn bottles into the axle housing as you cant really tip the bottle up farther than almost parallel. So be prepared to squeeze the bejesus out of those bottles.

Also found it easier to put 3-4 ounces of sythetic fluid in, then add the additive to the bottle of fluid as the additive bottle would have made a huge mess. Just my opinion. Good luck and post results...
excellent- glad to hear that helped with the noise and tire squeal- I'm picking up the fluids now- will post results and take ur advice with the pouring
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

A cheap drill transfer pump makes for easy fluid changes. Some don't even drop the covers when they have one, but I prefer to do so. Otherwise you don't get any metal shavings out and you can't inspect the gears.
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
proeliumfessus
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
A cheap drill transfer pump makes for easy fluid changes. Some don't even drop the covers when they have one, but I prefer to do so. Otherwise you don't get any metal shavings out and you can't inspect the gears.
lol if I had the $$ I'd grab one from harbor freight but its not in the cards this time around
Unread 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

Can't afford $5 bucks?
Unread 04-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
casey_doyle5
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I found another thread that said you can check to see if your diff had LSD by jacking up the axle and spinning one of the tires by hand. If the other tire spins in the same direction, then it has Limited Slip. If it spins in the opposite direction, it is an "open diff"
casey_doyle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
proeliumfessus
1996 ZJ 

lol a pump for 5 bucks- where???
Unread 04-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #14
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

You have a 249 and 212k miles? Most likely the tire chirp on sharp turns is the VC locked up(bad VC). I've never heard of a VC making a knocking noise, unless it exploded. A fluid change isn't going to help that aspect. But it is still very good. Lol

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #15
NeverL8
2000 WJ 

if you can buy Redline gear oil, its best gear oil in my opinion !
NeverL8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.