Ls1 Zj? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ls1 Zj?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
NoOne2

Quote:
-I'm 17 and learning.
Long way to go

Yes its nice to make 600hp between 5000 and 7000rpm.

You know what it takes to spool a pair of turbo's like that with 183ci? I'd rather take a larger displacement motor, small turbo's and over 600ft lbs at 2200rpm, like my twin turbo LS1

BTW, most big power Supra's are singles, no diff in a single or twin, all that matters is airflow and packaging.

I've owned and driven a large turbo(.68 A/R T3/4) and a small motor, 1.8l...made great power, once it spooled up...

As an owner of a 680hp LSx(Camaro), a 340hp LSx(93 RX7) and a 450hp LSx(Corvette) I'd go with one in a heart beat, no pun intended.

I've had LSx's with spray, turbo's, and NA. My current motor is NA and about 450hp. Its super reliable with about 35 hours of hard track driving on it and 40,000 miles of regular driving.

They are light, parts have become relatively inexpensive and you can make silly power NA.

The stock GM engine management is excellent and the ability to tune is great also. Not sure if someone makes a stand alone trans controller for the Chrysler trans but then again just use a GM trans with the motor and a single controller.

2000 4.7l Grand Cherokee Laredo
2000 Pewter Corvette
NoOne2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #17
BradMB2004

the T-56's shifter is way back on the tranny, i don't know what the relationship would be compared the the factory console, but a quick measurement would answer that. i agree with the above that a LT1 would be better suited for it's low end grunt.

LS motors are pretty sweet though, especially when they have 427 ci, this is the first of many we have built so far.... this one is one of the 605hp flavor

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea..._am/index.html
1997 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
BradMB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #18
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

now that is a sweet ride
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #19
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMB2004
the T-56's shifter is way back on the tranny, i don't know what the relationship would be compared the the factory console, but a quick measurement would answer that. i agree with the above that a LT1 would be better suited for it's low end grunt.

LS motors are pretty sweet though, especially when they have 427 ci, this is the first of many we have built so far.... this one is one of the 605hp flavor

Dude, you work for Year One? I am totally jealous

<- 3rd Gen Fire Chicken Owner

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 09:20 PM   #20
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

BAN 3.

But I think that if you were to try to find the transmission and transfercase from a GMT 800, then bolt that in with the LS1, it should fit pretty well. I'm not sure how different the TJ and ZJ wiring is, but a guy on here swapped a LS1 into a TJ and every thing swapped in pretty well. All he had to do extra was add a new tach.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2007, 09:28 PM   #21
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
Wanna know what a 600 HP, 800 HP, and a 1000 HP Supra have in common?

An 11 sec. ET*

Unless of course said Supra has a 200 shot of nitrous to help spool before the 1/8th mile mark
never said they were quick at the strip... or a dig for that matter.
not to mention they have too much wheel spin from a dig
from a roll theyr crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne2
Long way to go

Yes its nice to make 600hp between 5000 and 7000rpm.

You know what it takes to spool a pair of turbo's like that with 183ci? I'd rather take a larger displacement motor, small turbo's and over 600ft lbs at 2200rpm, like my twin turbo LS1

BTW, most big power Supra's are singles, no diff in a single or twin, all that matters is airflow and packaging.
yes i do have a long way to go lol
iv seen most with twins..atleast the Mark IV (most recent generation) iv seen many twins
yes i understand it takes a good few seconds for those twins to spool up. but dear god once they do.. lol
i love watching youtube vids where the supra falls behind at the very beginning of the race...then bout 4 seconds later it flies by like a bat outa hell.. i could throw down some links to the vids but we're already really far off topic as it is lol
dont get me wrong i love v8.and american muscle, but that doesnt stop me from liking SOME japanese/other cars
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 02:59 AM   #22
NoOne2

I'm a car fan, regardless...I've owned import cars, in fact I've owned 7 Mazda's. I like the Supra but its awefully tough to spool those things.

Do you need to have a manual? If the shifter is too far back you could look into a modified version of the Corvette shifter. The trans is in the back and its a remote shifter unlike the F-body that is a direct shifter.

If not a 4L80E is not a bad choice and probably one of your best choices for durability. Plus trans controllers are easy to come by.

2000 Pewter Corvette
Unread 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #23
xxturbowesxx

i think putting a ls1 in a grand would be a waste.. find yourself a light chassis and build yourself a car.. think 88 rx7 pull the rotary and sell it to some shmuck and drop in a the ls1 one of my good friends did it.. and the rear end on the rx7 can actually handle it.. has the built ls1 with bolt ons and nitrous running in the 10s and drives it everyday.. 2700lbs and ls1 .. even better if you got the dough buy a 93+ rx7 and take the motor out and sell it or buy one blown.. they look great and weigh nothing...93+rx7 with ls1 equals fast and pretty ... when going fast hybrids are the way to go.. light jap chassis and american muscle.. hell ive seen a 5.slow swap into a miata.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsw78KLECg
xxturbowesxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #24
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxturbowesxx
i think putting a ls1 in a grand would be a waste.. find yourself a light chassis and build yourself a car.. think 88 rx7 pull the rotary and sell it to some shmuck and drop in a the ls1 one of my good friends did it.. and the rear end on the rx7 can actually handle it.. has the built ls1 with bolt ons and nitrous running in the 10s and drives it everyday.. 2700lbs and ls1 .. even better if you got the dough buy a 93+ rx7 and take the motor out and sell it or buy one blown.. they look great and weigh nothing...93+rx7 with ls1 equals fast and pretty ... when going fast hybrids are the way to go.. light jap chassis and american muscle.. hell ive seen a 5.slow swap into a miata.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsw78KLECg
i got one to add..
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=3337365
and another
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFVEMnUdIg

absolutely sick
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 10-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #25
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

I have got to stop watchig this.....making me want to get back into it. Its bad enough I am making my jeep go fast....but now I just am getting that bug again.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

Unread 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #26
xxturbowesxx

i like fast cars,big trucks and jeeps. the best thing to do is keep the separate and never try to mix them up.. for example a jeep on 52's, a f250 built for crawling, and making the jeep or truck fast.. not to knock what your doing but youve spent thousands to make a quick jeep when in fact you could have taken that money you spent on just mods and built yourself a fast car.. then used the jeep to tow it to the track.. get where im coming from.. everything has a purpose i doubt they built a zj with trackdays in the back of their minds instead of off road performance.. not that it cant be done but sometimes you have to ask yourself am i just doing this because it can be done or because it makes sense.. and modifiying a jeep for anything other than tourqe for the trails, which lower case ratio will do more than any engine mod might be a waste of money...
xxturbowesxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #27
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxturbowesxx
i like fast cars,big trucks and jeeps. the best thing to do is keep the separate and never try to mix them up.. for example a jeep on 52's, a f250 built for crawling, and making the jeep or truck fast.. not to knock what your doing but youve spent thousands to make a quick jeep when in fact you could have taken that money you spent on just mods and built yourself a fast car.. then used the jeep to tow it to the track.. get where im coming from.. everything has a purpose i doubt they built a zj with trackdays in the back of their minds instead of off road performance.. not that it cant be done but sometimes you have to ask yourself am i just doing this because it can be done or because it makes sense.. and modifiying a jeep for anything other than tourqe for the trails, which lower case ratio will do more than any engine mod might be a waste of money...
talking to me????

Unread 10-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #28
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454
talking to me????
yes. and the dude wanting to put an ls1 in.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Unread 10-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #29
NoOne2

LS1 Rx7...only way to go....here is mine, sold it to buy the C5:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/econne...7e.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/econne...2f.jpg&.src=ph

Great car...rear end is way too much gear for the LS1. Big reason I moved on is the 4.11's and hitting the limiter too early at the track.

2000 Pewter Corvette
Unread 10-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #30
BradMB2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
Dude, you work for Year One? I am totally jealous

<- 3rd Gen Fire Chicken Owner
Just finished another Ban 3 car tonite for SEMA. We're also bringing the first(we got the first one produced) Dynacorn reproduction 67' Mustang Fastback to SEMA also. we have built it as a "Bullitt" style track car with the new BOSS 347 and a TKO600 with Griggs Racing GR40 chassis rolling on Fikse FR500 wheels and 285mm wide BFG R1 rubber. It's a pretty sick car, well both are actually.

The ZJ motor swap won't be a bad idea, but you can set your expectations too high. it is what it is, a jeep.

ohh yeah, i love my job
1997 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
BradMB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.