LP D30 Front Axle Guidance Needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > LP D30 Front Axle Guidance Needed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

LP D30 Front Axle Guidance Needed

I want to replace my '96 ZJ's front differential because of a grinding/popping noise that occurs during a turn in either direction. The noise is made then goes away. Removing the front DS quiets it some, but doesn't eliminate the noise entirely. Upon inspection, the rest of the front end components appear to be okay.

I have a '94 ZJ, 5.2L, 46RH that has the U-Joint style front DS. My understanding is that the 46RH DS is a bit longer than the '96 ZJ's CV style DS.

Should I swap the entire axle assembly from the '94 over to the '96 or is there an easier, quicker, better alternative? Will I need to have the '94 DS shortened to use it with the '96 ZJ's 44RE?

Thank you for any advice or input that's offered. There are a few well-experienced & extremely knowledgeable members to this forum & I've learned a great deal from reading their posts.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge & experience !! Have a great day ! !

rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.