Lower and upper control arm brackets - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Lower and upper control arm brackets

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
94ZJALLDAYZS
1994 ZJ 

Lower and upper control arm brackets

I took my jeep off roading and I bent my upper and lower control arm brackets. I need links to durable and affordable brackets (upper and lower)
Also thinking about getting better control arms if there's some cheap ones. I need weld on brackets.

Thank you!

94ZJALLDAYZS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Front or rear brackets on the axle? IRO has some brackets, as does many others. Look for a truss if you want sturdier upper control arm brackets. Google "Jeep D30 axle bracket" and you're gonna find a lot of stuff.

A common way to improve front passenger side UCA bracket is to fully box it and then add some gusseting. Lowers are built weak from the factory to collapse on higher energy impacts (just like OEM control arms), but due to that they can't handle heavier wheeling much at all. Welding a plate between the sides of the bracket (also called mini skids) help on the front LCA brackets, but it doesn't make them bullet proof.

Rears aren't that weak, but can be bent if they get a good hit. Look for a truss for the uppers, there are some companies making rear LCA brackets as well. Most rear LCA brackets are high- clearance mounts which actually mess up your 4-link geometry unless upper mounts are re-located as well.
If you bent the frameside brackets, tough luck.

As for aftermarket LCAs and UCAs, search if you want the cheap crap. About a gazillion different manufacturers for those. Cheaper ones use factory-style rubber bushings (crap for wheeling), polyurethane bushings (crap for wheeling and increase NVH on the road), or a combination of flex joints (Johnny joints being among the very best on ball- type flex joints) and rubber or PU bushings. There's also Metalcloak duroflex CAs, of which I've been hearing only positive feedback.

Btw., if you can weld, you can fab your own brackets from 1/4" steel plate and box steel - with an angle grinder and a drill.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
94ZJALLDAYZS
1994 ZJ 

So im not worried about the rear axle mounts just the front axle. im thinking these? just need opinions on if they will work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-44-60-4...b3a93f&vxp=mtr

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-SLCAB
Unread 10-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Use the IRO ones for the lowers.

Build your own for the upper, or go hack one off from a junkyard XJ/ZJ/TJ/MJ axle, burn it on your axle, then fully box & gusset it. The one you linked for the D44/D60 won't work as is, because all Jeep D30s with 4-link front suspension have the front UCA bushing pressed in the axle bracket, not the control arm.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Also note, the IRO brackets you linked don't have provisions for cam bolts. If you are running non adjustable arms you will need to do something to be able to adjust castor.

Artec has very nice brackets: http://www.artecindustries.com/Dana-...air_p_372.html

They also make an excellent truss for the d30: http://www.artecindustries.com/Front...-ZJ_p_334.html

If you're going to be doing that much work on a d30 it would be a good time to think about an HP30.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
94ZJALLDAYZS
1994 ZJ 

Not to sound like a newbie but what is a HP30?
Unread 10-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
94ZJALLDAYZS
1994 ZJ 

Well jeeezzzz...Should I just do an axle swap? what axles would be a good for a swap if I did do a swap?
Unread 10-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

HP30 is the high pinion dana 30 that was used in the XJ cherokee.

The ring and pinion are slightly stronger, and the driveshaft is above the centerline of the axle.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 10-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
shaban
1996 ZJ 

You may have some interference issues if running HP D30 with stock height, I had driveshaft touch the tranny lines on big bumps on mine.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

He's got a 2" BB which should be plenty of clearance.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 10-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #11
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Also note, the IRO brackets you linked don't have provisions for cam bolts. If you are running non adjustable arms you will need to do something to be able to adjust castor.

Artec has very nice brackets: http://www.artecindustries.com/Dana-...air_p_372.html

They also make an excellent truss for the d30: http://www.artecindustries.com/Front...-ZJ_p_334.html

If you're going to be doing that much work on a d30 it would be a good time to think about an HP30.
quick question....did ALL ZJ LP 30's come with the adjustable cam slot on the axle side? my new to me 1993 base model does not have the cam slots, just the hole like an XJ HP 30, no it's not a HP 30, I've looked at it a few times to confirm.
Unread 10-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #12
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

It could be a first gen thing. Or it could be a early 93 thing. I haven't spent that much time on the first gen ZJ's. I know that there is some difference in the front LCA's, I've had the wrong LCA's shipped to me a couple of times.

Does it have the shims like the XJ?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 10-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
shaban
1996 ZJ 

The difference in LCA's is:
- Axle side bushing: ZJ is slotted, center sleeve is same width, interchangeable with XJ-style solid bushing
- Frame side bushing: ZJ is solid, center sleeve is wider than XJ, can fit a XJ bushing if using XJ adjustment bracket as a spacer.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #14
94ZJALLDAYZS
1994 ZJ 

so I decided to get a whole new axle. should I go a head and buy the xj front axle? so in thery I can take the xj axle and stick it on the zj with out problems>?
Unread 10-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You need to match gears, you have 3.73 right now. Some XJ's with the 4.0, auto, and tow package have 3.73s. You don't want a vacuum disconnect axle. Most XJ's don't have abs so you will need to swap in your axle shafts (with tone rings) and maybe even knuckles for the abs sensor if you want to keep abs.

Also, don't get a 2000 and up as those were LP.

If you are welding on brackets anyway the rest shouldn't matter. There is a slight difference in CA mount positions supposedly.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.