• 1 Post By Joeyicu

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Lower Control Arms and Camber Bolt Question

Hey guys,

Alright. After Determing the source of my leaks and fixing them for now, I'm back to working on those Control Arms. I've since given up on trying to do those uppers. There's no way I feel comfortable doing them, and they're not even that bad off as is compared to the lower.

Now, as for those lower Control arms. I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of not even Jacking my Jeep to get to them. Plenty of room and I can squeeze my tools in there fine enough, including Breaker bar. [Got a torch if worse comes to worse to break any rust]

I casually asked before and some of you mentioned the Camber Bolt on the LCA. Until then I hadn't even realized what a Camber bolt was and how it affected alignment. You guys said to mark the Camber bolt location before touching it. Well, how? How should I mark it to make sure it's back in the right spot?

I'll to be on the safe side taking my ZJ in for an alignment after replacing, but how can I mark the bolts in the mean time?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 06:04 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I usually just take a picture of the cam bolt and refer to it when I reinstall, but the old school method it take a paint pen/grease pencil/silver sharpie and make a mark along the line on the cam bolt onto the bracket.

Like dis:

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked
1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Ah, okay. That'll make my life 1000x easier doing that. Makes sense. Thanks!

Edit: Anyone know the bolt and nut sizes for the lower control arms on a 95 off hand? Axle to arm and frame to arm? Thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Joeyicu

1998 ZJ 

That is just a caster adjustment, worst case scenario you would have to get an alignment. I am not sure I am a fan of taking off a control arm without removing the weight of the vehicle on the axle. The reason being that it may pose an issue with installation or removal, vs lifting the vehicle. removing the tires and being able to manipulate the d30 around to your needs.
JeepFisher likes this.

{2005 WK Hemi }(1998 ZJ 5.2 - 3.5 IRO 31s) [1984 F250 6.9]
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Joey- If need be I'll jack it up and remove the tires. Might prove easier to get the bolts off anyway by using impact gun. I have read though that you should lower the vehicle to the ground BEFORE tightening te bolts though.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If you park the jeep on level ground, put it in neutral to let the driveline unbind, and then put it in 4lo and pull the ebrake then you should be able to drop and replace the LCA's without it moving on you.

Always torque the CA bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the axle, could be axle on jackstands, just as long as it's sitting on the suspension.

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked
1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2016, 08:16 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Set the cam adjustment to the same position on both sides.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2016, 06:31 AM
PCsZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderWalker View Post
Joey- If need be I'll jack it up and remove the tires. Might prove easier to get the bolts off anyway by using impact gun. I have read though that you should lower the vehicle to the ground BEFORE tightening te bolts though.
Jacking up the Jeep's suspension and being able to jack the axle makes the job easy. I also sprayed the bolts and nuts with ATF days prior to removing. Just did my front a couple weeks ago with IRO adjustable.

You are correct about tightening the bolts. Have the Jeep sitting on the ground when tightening/torquing nuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.