lower control arm rattling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > lower control arm rattling

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
cryptic3

lower control arm rattling

So after pin pointing where the rattling might be coming from after raising and tightening the lower control arm I noticed hearing the rattling again so I go under and look to see this (where my finger is pointing is lower like maybe a half inch and slightly wiggles the screw I'm pointing at is the front end of the lower control arm and that screw is in a lower position. Any clue to my problem?

forumrunner_20130423_155531.jpg

cryptic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Shouldn't move when the bolt is tight.

Remove the cam bolt (index mark the position first) and look where the wear/slop is. Control arm bushing could be worn/bad, bushing sleeve worn, cam bolt or mount hole worn, etc.

Always tighten suspension bushings with the vehicle not lifted and settled into the suspension. Otherwise bushings may end up torqued.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
cryptic3

I only raised the control arm cause it looked like it needed to be raised. If I take the bolt out of the control arm will I need to put support under the drive shaft? Cause I'm not sure what the bushing is and I want to take the bolt out to see what it looks like
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

I removed both my front control arms with the wheels on the ground and the e-brake pulled, and was able to put them back in with no problems. You shouldn't have any issues taking them out, checking out the bushing, and putting it back in.

However, if you are planning on replacing, you may run into my problem:

My problem was that my bushings were so worn I could not get the new ones in without re-positioning the axle, so I have to have my shop do it.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
cryptic3

Oh great really? I need to take my jeep into the shop if my bushing is worn? Damn that wreck less teenager lol well when I have time I'll take off that bushing which will be Friday since I'm working all day Wednesday and Thursdays unless I do it in my hour break Wednesday or Thursday. BTW how much was it when you took it into the shop?
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic3 View Post
Oh great really? I need to take my jeep into the shop if my bushing is worn?
No, you don't have to

As long as you only remove and replace one control arm at a time, the axle will stay more-or-less in place. I replaced my front bushings, and both arms came out and went back in again with no problem at all.

If you find that a bolt-hole won't line up when replacing the arm (it can happen even with the one-at-a-time method), there are various ways you can fix it. It happened to me with my rear control arms. I fixed it by putting a large screwdriver into the other side of the hole and prising while I pushed the bolt through from the other side. It really doesn't take much effort to get the holes lined up. Other ways include using a ratchet strap between the axle and the frame, or just driving the Jeep slightly forwards or backwards.

BTW, when I removed my right front lower control arm, the front bushing just fell out - the whole thing, rubber and metal sleeve together. In that instance I had to replace the whole control arm, but they're not expensive, even from the dealer.
AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

I put a scissor type jack between the wheel and wheelwell and just slowly opened the jack.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by massarosareloud View Post
I put a scissor type jack between the wheel and wheelwell and just slowly opened the jack.
Stock bottle jack works like that too.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic3
Oh great really? I need to take my jeep into the shop if my bushing is worn? Damn that wreck less teenager lol well when I have time I'll take off that bushing which will be Friday since I'm working all day Wednesday and Thursdays unless I do it in my hour break Wednesday or Thursday. BTW how much was it when you took it into the shop?
No no no, you don't have too and everything may line up correctly. That was just my experience. If you have the tools to do it that's great, I just don't and really have no interest in buying more.
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Stock bottle jack works like that too.
Right but its too long to fit between the wheel and wheel well. Maybe if you have a lift that's a different story, but I'm stock right now.
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You can also use ratchet straps in combination with a jack to move the axle around. You just need to get creative. It's not rocket science.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.